Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

04-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #837
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
If MB makes anything even close to Tesla it would be huge!
It's awesome to see these big rigs replaced soon. I hope more manufacturers jump on this as well. Volvo comes to mind...They build great trucks
MB actually makes good cars, without the use of AC motors as a trick power train.

Tesla and Musk could learn a lot from them.

Last edited by Taskmaster; 04-16-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #838
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

I was reading a discussion about trucks on another forum I frequent, and it noted some issues.

The range is substantially shorter than most current rigs which can do over a thousand miles in a day.
The weight of the truck means its payload willl be smaller
The cab doesn’t accommodate the driver like current trucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #839
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
hypothetically speaking... if the syste wasnt operating properly perhaps hands were on the wheel but it was not registering or perhaps warnings were given but not displayed. when it comes to electronics and features like this there are many variables. generally speaking many times error messages or issues are logged on an ecu but not displayed perhaps something like may have occurred if there were issues. again this is not a perfect system and this alone is reason to investigate because it will help the industry as a whole and the premise of autonomous driving.
If there was an error, the system would have shut off.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #840
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
I was reading a discussion about trucks on another forum I frequent, and it noted some issues.

The range is substantially shorter than most current rigs which can do over a thousand miles in a day.
The weight of the truck means its payload willl be smaller
The cab doesn't accommodate the driver like current trucks.
But but. It's GREEN
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #841
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If there was an error, the system would have shut off.
In theory. We're not strangers to technology at this point and we all know and or have experienced some sort of software or hardware failure in our lives. I am not sure what you are saying or implying but are you telling me this person intentionally killed themselves with a Tesla?

Quote:
It's awesome to see these big rigs replaced soon.
I would like to see school buses replaced first and they would be the easier vehicle to produce considering the size, weight, and range in addition to the amount of down time they spend they could be charging or not spend half an hour or so idling every morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #842
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
I would like to see school buses replaced first and they would be the easier vehicle to produce considering the size, weight, and range in addition to the amount of down time they spend they could be charging or not spend half an hour or so idling every morning.
Cannot agree more
Also pickup trucks, which normally dont make long trips

https://electrek.co/2017/07/14/all-e...ses-blue-bird/
https://thelionelectric.com/en/products/electric

P.S. UPS is deploying a lot of electric delivery trucks
Appreciate 1
iconoclast3122.00

04-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #843
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

I like to see that but I hope it is not pushed on to the cost of the consumer however if not the consumer than who?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #844
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
MB actually makes good cars, without the use of AC motors as a trick power train.

Tesla and Musk could learn a lot from them.
And maybe they did...
There is always room for improvement
And perhaps when MB releases its truck Tesla will buy it and take it apart, just like what MB is planing to do with Tesla semi
And what they did with Model X (very funny story actually, please google it)
And what many others did with S, 3 and X
That list consists of Audi, BMW, MB, Ford, GM, Volvo and etc

Germans were very impressed with model 3 btw
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/19...neers-wonders/
https://www.inquisitr.com/4790912/te...se-engineered/
This was early build

Last edited by AndreyATC; 04-16-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #845
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I like to see that but I hope it is not pushed on to the cost of the consumer however if not the consumer than who?
Not sure if i got your question correctly, however i will try to answer.

If you are talking about purchase price of the school bus, it should not be any higher than ICE version.
IMO, small trips of the school bus require small range and in turn, small inexpensive battery.
Also, huge savings on fuel and maintenance would workout the numbers in EV favor.
Same goes for pickup, however, it could be build on model S/X chassis with less expensive body (no aluminum).
It may not have 300mil range, but 200-250 is achievable and more than enough for most pickup duties
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #846
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
And maybe they did...
And perhaps when MB releases its truck Tesla will buy it and take it apart, just like what MB is planing to do with Tesla semi

This was early build
The model 3 is a piece of shit, and I highly doubt that any of the major German manufactures were impressed by it (especially based on how poorly built and pricey it is)

Outside of the electric power train, Tesla's are pretty much subpar in every area. I give them credit for looking cool though.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #847
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And maybe they did...

This was early build
The model 3 is a piece of shit, and I highly doubt that any of the major German manufactures were impressed by it (especially based on how poorly built and pricey it is)

Outside of the electric power train, Tesla's are pretty much subpar in every area. I give them credit for looking cool though.
You made me

Expensive tech junk cars

A guy I work with just got a model S. His last car was a Ghibli (of course). Typical non car guy dazzled by the tech. I didn't have the heart to tell him that for a lot less money he could have gotten a MUCH better car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #848
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Cannot agree more
Also pickup trucks, which normally dont make long trips

https://electrek.co/2017/07/14/all-e...ses-blue-bird/
https://thelionelectric.com/en/products/electric

P.S. UPS is deploying a lot of electric delivery trucks
if anyone buys a tesla, all electric pickup truck, I hope their husband doesnt find out.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #849
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
You made me

Expensive tech junk cars

A guy I work with just got a model S. His last car was a Ghibli (of course). Typical non car guy dazzled by the tech. I didn't have the heart to tell him that for a lot less money he couldn't have gotten a MUCH better car.
Most of these people who fawn over these cars aren't even automotive enthusiasts, they are tech junkies. It's fine when they talking about the newest Ifaceapp or whatever, but don't try to explain cars to me - They are literally clueless and function as a market arm of Tesla and Apple.

It's ALWAYS the same limp wrist, pencil neck, square rim glasses, tight pants wearing Iphone user who is writing these blogs under the guise of being a real journalist. They aren't interested in cars, electronic motors or anything else but mouthing Elon Musk and how much useless tech bullshit they can fit in a car.
Appreciate 3
      04-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #850
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You made me

Expensive tech junk cars

A guy I work with just got a model S. His last car was a Ghibli (of course). Typical non car guy dazzled by the tech. I didn't have the heart to tell him that for a lot less money he couldn't have gotten a MUCH better car.
Most of these people who fawn over these cars aren't even automotive enthusiasts, they are tech junkies. It's fine when they talking about the newest Ifaceapp or whatever, but don't try to explain cars to me - They are literally clueless and function as a market arm of Tesla and Apple.

It's ALWAYS the same limp wrist, pencil neck, square rim glasses, tight pants wearing Iphone user who is writing these blogs under the guise of being a real journalist. They aren't interested in cars, electronic motors or anything else but mouthing Elon Musk and how much useless tech bullshit they can fit in a car.
I honestly think that all the money and effort the car manufacturers are putting into electric cars is a waste and all for naught.

Time will tell. It seems like the Scandinavian countries are basically forcing their populations to adopt electric cars over traditional ICE cars (massive incentives and taxes). Not gonna happen in the good ol USA anytime soon.
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC4945.50

04-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #851
Germanauto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

Quote:

LOL

I used to sell Teslas part-time in college and this is entirely accurate. They look great and their tech and powertrain is seriously impressive, but aside from that they are sub-par. Yes my job was to book reservations but I did not lie and BS about the cars being better than they actually were.

I found that every one of my clients was a techie nerd. They used to boast about their Model S "smoking Porsches" like some hillbilly '90s muscle car fan whose only concept of performance = 0-60. The concept of curb weight, steering feel, etc. was foreign to them. They were never real car guys, their Tesla was just another gadget for them to brag about.

It's fine to not be a car guy, but don't go around acting like you are the shyt when you're just a poseur. It's like all the annoying a$$ bandwagon Seahawks fans I had to put up with who never even watched football until it became cool to wear a Wilson jersey.
Appreciate 1
Law4429.50

04-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #852
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

The crazy thing is I was a Tesla HATER until I drove one - electric is the future guys, I just don't know if Musk/Tesla will be a part of it.

They have nifty features, Tesla constantly works to make the cars better, and they do look good. Beyond that, they are a niche product and they aren't ready for mainstream yet - th Model 3 is a prime example of Tesla's arrogance and ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #853
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looks like haters are piling up
Get the party started boys...

Clearly, nothing constructive to say, just usual noise
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #854
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:

You clearly worked hard to afford not one - but two Teslas, and It's great that you like them and they work for you. For the majority of people they are simply out of reach, and even then, they don't provide enough tangible benefits for ME to justify the costs.

It's a great first attempt at a real car on Tesla's part, but let's not pretend it's something it's not.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #855
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

lol not a hater, as I was actually going to buy one before i drove it. they arent performance cars like they want you to believe, even with the ludicrous mode, they are luxury tech cars. Are they the best electric car right now? sure, but when the prius is your main competition, its not hard to be the best.

I know plenty of people that have them, and the consensus from all of them is its a great electric car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #856
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You clearly worked hard to afford not one - but two Teslas, and It's great that you like them and they work for you. For the majority of people they are simply out of reach, and even then, they don't provide enough tangible benefits for ME to justify the costs.

It's a great first attempt at a real car on Tesla's part, but let's not pretend it's something it's not.
There is a reason it cut deeply into MB, BMW, Audi and Porsche sales
Whoever thinks it's not a driver's car is dilusional
I'm a car enthusiast, and have been BMW fanatic. I also had 2013 TTV8 Audi S6 just before my first Tesla.
All I can say, i bought it not because of the tech, but for the thrill and fun Tesla offered. Tech was a nice bonus.
I'm on my 3rd now (only one in the household, Model X) and I will keep trading in until there is a better car born.
So far, all the test drives failed me, so i will stay with Tesla
It's that good.

You have no idea how crappy it feels to drive an ICE after getting used to EV propulsion
Every time i have to get behind a wheel of an ICE it's very archaic experience
Also, new BMWs (and others) are no longer offer the same experience they used to back in days.
And number of drivers leaving the dark side to Tesla is humongous. There's got to be a reason and it's not a tech

Last edited by AndreyATC; 04-16-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #857
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There is a reason it cut deeply into MB, BMW, Audi and Porsche sales
Whoever thinks it's not a driver's car is dilusional
I'm a car enthusiast, and has been BMW fanatic. I also had 2013 TTV8 Audi S6 just before my first Tesla.
All I can say, i bought it not because of the tech, but for the thrill and fun Tesla offered. Tech was a nice bonus.
I'm on my 3rd now (only one in the household, Model X) and I will keep trading in until there a better car is born.
So far, all the test drives failed me, so i will stay with Tesla
It's that good
What thrill and fun does Tesla offer? Total quiet with Autonomous driving.

Your definition and my definition must be WORLDS apart
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #858
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What thrill and fun does Tesla offer? Total quiet with Autonomous driving.

Your definition and my definition must be WORLDS apart
Last time i checked, fun does not have to come with explosions and screaming

But i guess i can download the engine sound you guys get pumped through your speakers to have the same?
Though i may wanna choose better sounding brand
Appreciate 0