Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i vs G70 3.3T Sport Comparo. Hits 3.8s 0-60 in Instrumented Test.

10-24-2019, 02:15 AM   #67
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
I think their conclusion rather misses the point. The review makes it clear that M340 is the better car in most aspects that people care about, including practicality. With that as a baseline, I think the price difference is not as relevant as they make it out to be. I think for most people, if you can afford the better car, you buy the better car. You don't sit down and think "is that car worth $12k more than the other one"! After all, there is no way you could say a Ferrari is $150k better than an M3, but if someone can afford the Ferrari, 9 times out of 10 they will buy it.
It is though. The price of a super car is somewhat justifiable. Everything is hand built, hand stitched, significant R&D expenses, other world performance, etc. no one needs a Ferrari, but objectively, you can see where the price difference goes. As opposed to an M3 that shares the majority of its parts with other models.

Same concept applies here. The delta between the M340i and G70 is apparent. Look at the performance gap, parts used, refinement, etc. after all, how else would a luxury brand establish a reputation as a premium auto manufacturer unless it's products are higher quality overall.
      10-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #68
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
I think their conclusion rather misses the point. The review makes it clear that M340 is the better car in most aspects that people care about, including practicality. With that as a baseline, I think the price difference is not as relevant as they make it out to be. I think for most people, if you can afford the better car, you buy the better car. You don't sit down and think "is that car worth $12k more than the other one"! After all, there is no way you could say a Ferrari is $150k better than an M3, but if someone can afford the Ferrari, 9 times out of 10 they will buy it.
It is though. The price of a super car is somewhat justifiable. Everything is hand built, hand stitched, significant R&D expenses, other world performance, etc. no one needs a Ferrari, but objectively, you can see where the price difference goes. As opposed to an M3 that shares the majority of its parts with other models.

Same concept applies here. The delta between the M340i and G70 is apparent. Look at the performance gap, parts used, refinement, etc. after all, how else would a luxury brand establish a reputation as a premium auto manufacturer unless it's products are higher quality overall.
Exactly, the bmw is the better car, so it costs more. Higher quality and performance commands a higher price. It's ridiculous then that car and driver concludes by choosing the g70 as the winner because it's cheaper and "good enough for the commute". Is that how they judge a luxury sports sedan now? If so they lose all credibility in reviewing cars in that segment.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:27 AM   #69
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
I am surprised nobody mentioned that KIA and Hyundai doesn't hold its values at all even worst then Bmw. If you bought that G70, after two years it's worth nothing.
If you lease it,

Nobody really cares but KIA.
If you lease it and the residual is 50% then you care because your payments are higher. Thats the residual for a 36 month 10K lease on a 2019 G70 3.3 AWD for October 2019, the 2020 models just came out the residual is a little higher (around 52 or 53%), but that has a huge impact on the price you pay per month.

The 2020 m340i's residual for a 36month 10k mile lease is 61%

MSRP might be cheaper but at least for leasing isn't the only important number.

For a quick hypothetical comparison, a $60k msrp m340i with a 10% discount (very common) no incentives at a 61% residual and I made up the interest rate as 0.001 MF plus 7 msds would lease for $569/month before tax, $0 down except msds which you get back at the end of the lease.

A $51k G70 with an 8.5% discount (about average I think?), no incentives at a 52% residual, same interest rate but no msds (genesis doesnt offer it I dont think), would lease for $650/month before tax, $0 down.

These are just hypotheticals but you can see how a car's value after 3 years can influence the lease price substantially.

I have a nearly fully loaded m340i (missing the tire and cooling package), and I pay $580/month with $0 down (not counting msds which I get back).

This also demonstrates how msrp doesn't mean anything when it comes to leasing, and even buying the car if dealers are willing to come down a lot off msrp vs. another brand that doesn't have as much wiggle room. It allows Genesis to attract value buyers with a lower msrp I guess but if you do your homework you could have a BMW for less!
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      10-24-2019, 03:35 AM   #70
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

So far it seems the M340I or G20 3 series in general wears the new interior version best. It fits the 3 series perfectly, looks underwhelming on 8 series and out of place in the new 1 series.
      10-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #71
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Impressive, wish my 540 got same engine...

On the other note is C&D saying comfort is too floaty yet sport is too stiff?

Hasn't test drive a 340 but coming from 540 I can definitely see the comfort being floaty comment.

As to electronic steering, Porsche is the only one (on the cheaper side...) that seem to manage the feedback enthusiast want, though I can see how BMW tune it that way (I wish they hadn't)...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #72
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
I assure you there are plenty of people who can afford a Ferrari but end up driving Toyota Land Cruisers and Genesis G80s. Some even have their "beater" cars like brand new leased Accords and Camrys.

The class of car that people seem to "stretch" their finances the most for are entry luxury cars like the 3 series. Given that, I bet the ability to pay 75% of the money for 90% of the car is attractive to some.
You will see from my response to your earlier reply to my first post that I am in 100% agreement on that. So let's agree to agree!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #73
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

I am pretty sure car and driver said the f 340i was too soft and floaty. This is the m-sport version of the 3. If you don’t want sport, there is an option for that.

Like others said above, the bmw is actually cheaper if you lease or buy and plan to sell after you own.

Did they weigh the actual cars or use manufacturers spec? 3,800 lbs for a fully loaded $66k 3 series isn’t that bad. Lighter than the e90 isn’t it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #74
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Another dumb review from C&D. Not everybody buys on price. How is that hard to comprehend. Genesis is inferior, tranny is slow, back seat for a sedan is nonexistent. This is analogous to compacting a shitty men's warehouse suit for few hundred versus a Corneliani suit and then arguing their value. These products caters to a different clientele.

I test drove the genesis 3.3T and was willing to even consider the G20 330i M Sport then. Now I have the M340i, there's no contest. Non of these cars are clear winners in all categories but the bimmer is the top performer. It may not sound as good or shift as aggressive as the C43 but it still kills it in acceleration and that is quite remarkable.
Right. People buy on payment and brand recognition which, because of perceived value on the CPO market, might be a reason why the 340i edges out.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #75
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

The Genesis is more of a disposable car than the 3er. And I would not want to own my bimmer long term. Hyundai is still not known for long term reliability, that title is and will always belong to Toyota. Genesis has to be priced 10k cheaper because they wouldn't be able to move any units and thus their only option is to sell on price. Even then, they're not flying off the shelves.
      10-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #76
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough007 View Post
I am pretty sure car and driver said the f 340i was too soft and floaty. This is the m-sport version of the 3. If you don’t want sport, there is an option for that.

Like others said above, the bmw is actually cheaper if you lease or buy and plan to sell after you own.

Did they weigh the actual cars or use manufacturers spec? 3,800 lbs for a fully loaded $66k 3 series isn’t that bad. Lighter than the e90 isn’t it?
In this article they said the m340i in comfort mode was stiffer than the g70 in sport. They didn't say anything about the 340i or g70 being soft and floaty.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #77
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

To get around the stiff ride, opt for adaptive suspension and replace the runflats. It makes a huge difference !
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #78
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post

M340i is faster than F80 M3 & F82 M4.

I'm proud of BMW AG.
Not to 100 mph....or, through the 1/4 mile....or, passing 40-70 (real life).....or, etc, etc, etc.

But yeah, very impressive out of a "standard" sedan!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #79
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoflfan27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
For those that have been waiting, Car and Driver has gotten their hands on a M340i and compared it to the G70.

BMW
Highs: Big Power from a silken inline-6, big grip, big back seat, and trunk.
Lows: Big price, stiff ride, steering still a bit too numb for our liking.

Genesis
Highs: Strong performer, impressive ride and handling balance, undeniable value.
Lows: Not as quick in a straight line, tight back seat.

In the end, C/D does acknowledge that the M340i is a better driver's car due to its more refined and faster powertrain, and overall nicer and larger interior, but states that may not be enough to overcome the Genesis great pricing, and that overall, the Genesis isn't far behind the 3-Series, being able to do many things just as well or even better than the 3er.

Full Article -> https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...0-genesis-g70/
They got the rear wheel drive to do 3.8 to 60. Wonder what an Xdrive would do??
I wouldn't have been shocked if this was xdrive but something doesn't seem right here.

They did 3.9 in the F80 which had a lot more power and torque and weighed 200 lbs less
I agree....and don't forget, the f80 has more rubber in the back and, a faster shifting tranny (dual clutch). Something seems off. Maybe this was indeed an AWD?? And holy cow, if this is really the RWD (which I have doubts), how much is the xDrive going to weigh....4000+ lbs???
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #80
iM3an
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 17 i3 E36 M3 vert E46 M3

I still think its a non comparison - the tech and infotainment in the Genesis is still kia/hyundai's trash system and I don't if anyone has sat in one but you literally feel like you're in a kia/hyundai with all the recycled buttons, switches, steering wheel, .... way cheaper materials, etc.
2005 M3 6MT (Totaled)
1997 M3 Vert (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #81
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I've switched between the "overpriced" luxury brands and the "bargain" non-luxury brands and there are a multitude of small details that, together, add up to a different overall ownership experience.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      10-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #82
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For those that have been waiting, Car and Driver has gotten their hands on a M340i and compared it to the G70.

BMW

Genesis
Highs: Strong performer, impressive ride and handling balance, undeniable value.

In the end, C/D does acknowledge that the M340i is a better driver's car due to its more refined and faster powertrain, and overall nicer and larger interior, but states that may not be enough to overcome the Genesis great pricing, and that overall, the Genesis isn't far behind the 3-Series, being able to do many things just as well or even better than the 3er.

I wouldn't have been shocked if this was xdrive but something doesn't seem right here.

They did 3.9 in the F80 which had a lot more power and torque and weighed 200 lbs less
I agree....and don't forget, the f80 has more rubber in the back and, a faster shifting tranny (dual clutch). Something seems off. Maybe this was indeed an AWD?? And holy cow, if this is really the RWD (which I have doubts), how much is the xDrive going to weigh....4000+ lbs???
I agree if their testing method is so accurate and sophisticated how are they testing an M3 with a slower time even though it was engineered to be faster? Maybe it was tested on a warmer day or something so they need to adjust for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #83
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

I'm proud of BMW AG.
Quote:

I'm proud of BMW AG.
0 to 60 ugh

I have yet to be at a stop light and raced to 60 and stopped

I'm usually on the hwy and then it's a rap!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #84
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
What? Steering in the M340 is loads better that recent models. Unless of coarse you need formula-1 steering in the way to work.
It's not even debatable at this point. The consensus from reviews (and my own driving impressions) are that the G20 is a way better car than the F30, but if you were expecting E90 levels of feedback you'll be disappointed. To add to that the car has simply become too large. Nobody's asking for a Formula 1 car, but what we do ask for is for a BMW 3-series to drive like ones that made C&D's 10 Best every year.

Our new choice for a compact sports saloon? A FWD Ford Focus with a kidney grille grafted up front.
This segment of cars will never again be the way they were in the past. This trend is not limited to bmw. A prime example is that electric power steering is here to stay and feedback through the steering column will never be as natural and tactile as it once was. It's futile to even hope for it. One or two manufacturers might have managed to create some mediocre level of feedback, or quasi feedback, in their EPS systems, but they're still not the same. They still lack the more natural feel and tactile feedback of a well designed hydraulic system.

Also, forget about the car and driver top ten. It's mostly for entertainment purposes, not to be taken 100% seriously. Look at the article comparing the m340i and g70 for example. The m340i not only bested the g70 in nearly every performance metric, but bested it by a healthy margin. Additionally the authors admit that the m340i was the superior car on a windy backroad. Yet they give the g70 the nod for being cheaper and "good enough for the daily commute". Since when was "cheaper and good enough for the daily commute" a metric by which to judge a luxury sport sedan. Car and driver whined about how bmw had missed the mark with the f30 due to its being a duller sport sedan than its predecessors. Now bmw apparently regained some of that swagger in the g20, despite ever tightening legislative constraints, and car and driver whines about the stiffer suspension. I guess they'd rather trade in excellence for mediocrity just to pay less and be more comfy. Why not just get an Altima then. After all, car and driver obtained fairly decent performance from the newest Altima, and it's far less expensive than the g70.

The mainstream car sites and periodicals have become a joke. Don't take them seriously. They're best suited to the waiting room at the dentist, and even then I'd rather just play chess on my phone while I wait.
The Alfa Giulia honestly feels like where the E90 left off, some of the best steering I've ever had in a recent drive and it handles beautifully. In another realm when it comes to ride and handling, shame about the reliability, maybe a non QF model would fair better? Or maybe a lease wouldn't be too bad?
      10-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #85
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BMW

Genesis

adding xDrive and fully loaded brings the car to almost 4000lbs (i believe ~3950) it does feel very heavy in xDrive form, it could use a diet
      10-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #86
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MTFTMFW View Post
I'd never cross shop a kia with B M W
Like Rolex vs Timex, yes they both tell time
I would bet my life on the fact that anyone who bought that car instead of BMW did that because of the price difference. I don't care how you're gonna hide it
The same was said of Benz and Lexus (Toyota) when they arrived in the States 30 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #87
whatever
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Not to 100 mph....or, through the 1/4 mile....or, passing 40-70 (real life).....or, etc, etc, etc.

But yeah, very impressive out of a "standard" sedan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
0 to 60 ugh

I have yet to be at a stop light and raced to 60 and stopped

I'm usually on the hwy and then it's a rap!!!
I totally comprehend where you two are coming from. I'm not here to argue. I'm simply stating the fact that M340i is legit and it can keep up with M3 as far as 0-60, 1/4 miles and so on . BMW AG did a great job in giving us M340i ( comparing to stock F80 : http://accelerationtimes.com/models/bmw-m3-f80 ) .

I have both F80 M3 & G20 M340i ( see my ED pics ). I've never regretted getting M340i , its suspension is light year ahead of F80 ( I've adaptive suspension which comes with LSD ) . M340i's adaptive suspension isn't stiffer instead it provides just the right balance of firmness & softness for daily commute. I live in metro area where roads are craps comparing to autobahn. It is great for daily drive . The only thing I miss from daily driving F80 is DCT. I'm being honest here.

I will give you all and update when I pick up my G80 3 years from now in Munich. I'm sure G80 will be great.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
2011zx10R427.00
clee1982796.00
Fugly M34904.00
      10-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #88
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
I've switched between the "overpriced" luxury brands and the "bargain" non-luxury brands and there are a multitude of small details that, together, add up to a different overall ownership experience.
This is where there seems to be a disconnect in car buying. The majority of people generally care about either monthly payment and/or looks. That's as far many go with regards to car shopping. No one really does any sort of test drives where you can to fully experience the vehicle.

It's obvious that BMW in 2019/2020 is not the same BMW from 2005 but it's still a car that you need to sit and experience vs. Mercedes where buyers can buy based on looks.
Appreciate 0