Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Thoughts on my new M340i

06-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
SixStringLuke
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Thoughts on my new M340i

Hi everyone, first post. IÂ’ve had my M340 for the past 3 weeks now so I thought IÂ’d share some thoughts so far. I upgraded from a 2016 328 when I picked up my new ride but I was initially in the market for a new 440 or a pre owned 2018 M4 at the time.

We stopped by the dealership to do a couple test drives and I mentioned to the salesman that I really liked the look of the new g20s, especially the m340. He said he had one that we could test drive while they were getting the 440 with the options I wanted ready to take for a spin so I said “great!”. Big mistake. The interior is excellent and the tech is fantastic plus so much more intuitive. My 328 had the idrive 5 which was adequate enough but the touch screen on the new idrive 7 system is so quick and responsive. The car drove so well and I fully admit, I had my heart set on the m340 from that point on.

I did test drive the 2019 440 but the interior felt so dated in comparison and the drive just wasnÂ’t as fun. Where the 340 was zippy and responsive in the turns and throttle response (especially in sport and sport plus mode) the 440 felt cumbersome, even with the M package. ItÂ’s a bigger car, carrying more weight with less power and not the best weight distribution so maybe that isnÂ’t surprising. But the sheer contrast was quite striking to me. I should have test driven an M4 instead but just couldnÂ’t get over the interior to be honest.

So we did the deal, and I drove my new m340 off the showroom floor. So how has she been so far? IÂ’m in love! The power on tap, even in comfort mode is a joy. The steering and throttle is forgiving and smooth for daily driving but throw her into sport and they become quick and responsive. Sport plus is all about high revs so she wonÂ’t shift down unless you step in and use the paddles. And that exhaust note is so sweet in all itÂ’s burbly glory!

Like I mentioned, the tech is great and I love the interior. We got the leather option on mine but I test drove a car with the sensatech and it still felt premium.

All in all, I love driving her! Anyone who is on the fence, go for a test drive and see for yourself and anyone who is waiting to take delivery of one, youÂ’re going to love it!
Appreciate 10
BigSky702687.00
Transfer5242.50
chenry2346.00
themnmd1687.00
530iDriver1707.50
Ilyam5888.50
ds109122.50
      06-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Congrats!!

I Wish you tested the M4 also, so you could give a fresh perspective on the difference in feel. It's definitely a more "raw" drive.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
SixStringLuke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Congrats!!

I Wish you tested the M4 also, so you could give a fresh perspective on the difference in feel. It's definitely a more "raw" drive.
Thanks! You know, I do kind of regret not giving the M4 a chance to win me over. I'm pretty sure the driving dynamics speak for itself but I think a part of me knew that it would just make my decision so much more complicated.

And honestly, I don't need so much car. I'm not going to track so the M340 is perfect for me right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringLuke View Post
Hi everyone, first post. I've had my M340 for the past 3 weeks now so I thought I'd share some thoughts so far. I upgraded from a 2016 328 when I picked up my new ride but I was initially in the market for a new 440 or a pre owned 2018 M4 at the time.

We stopped by the dealership to do a couple test drives and I mentioned to the salesman that I really liked the look of the new g20s, especially the m340. He said he had one that we could test drive while they were getting the 440 with the options I wanted ready to take for a spin so I said "great!". Big mistake. The interior is excellent and the tech is fantastic plus so much more intuitive. My 328 had the idrive 5 which was adequate enough but the touch screen on the new idrive 7 system is so quick and responsive. The car drove so well and I fully admit, I had my heart set on the m340 from that point on.

I did test drive the 2019 440 but the interior felt so dated in comparison and the drive just wasn't as fun. Where the 340 was zippy and responsive in the turns and throttle response (especially in sport and sport plus mode) the 440 felt cumbersome, even with the M package. It's a bigger car, carrying more weight with less power and not the best weight distribution so maybe that isn't surprising. But the sheer contrast was quite striking to me. I should have test driven an M4 instead but just couldn't get over the interior to be honest.

So we did the deal, and I drove my new m340 off the showroom floor. So how has she been so far? I'm in love! The power on tap, even in comfort mode is a joy. The steering and throttle is forgiving and smooth for daily driving but throw her into sport and they become quick and responsive. Sport plus is all about high revs so she won't shift down unless you step in and use the paddles. And that exhaust note is so sweet in all it's burbly glory!

Like I mentioned, the tech is great and I love the interior. We got the leather option on mine but I test drove a car with the sensatech and it still felt premium.

All in all, I love driving her! Anyone who is on the fence, go for a test drive and see for yourself and anyone who is waiting to take delivery of one, you're going to love it!
Thanks , I cannot wait for mine! End of August
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Docalan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes c450

Thanks. I'm getting impatient. Hoping for delivery in a week or so. Now "in transit" since 6/13
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Hi everyone, first post. I've had my M340 for the past 3 weeks now so I thought I'd share some thoughts so far. I upgraded from a 2016 328 when I picked up my new ride but I was initially in the market for a new 440 or a pre owned 2018 M4 at the time.

We stopped by the dealership to do a couple test drives and I mentioned to the salesman that I really liked the look of the new g20s, especially the m340. He said he had one that we could test drive while they were getting the 440 with the options I wanted ready to take for a spin so I said "great!". Big mistake. The interior is excellent and the tech is fantastic plus so much more intuitive. My 328 had the idrive 5 which was adequate enough but the touch screen on the new idrive 7 system is so quick and responsive. The car drove so well and I fully admit, I had my heart set on the m340 from that point on.

I did test drive the 2019 440 but the interior felt so dated in comparison and the drive just wasn't as fun. Where the 340 was zippy and responsive in the turns and throttle response (especially in sport and sport plus mode) the 440 felt cumbersome, even with the M package. It's a bigger car, carrying more weight with less power and not the best weight distribution so maybe that isn't surprising. But the sheer contrast was quite striking to me. I should have test driven an M4 instead but just couldn't get over the interior to be honest.

So we did the deal, and I drove my new m340 off the showroom floor. So how has she been so far? I'm in love! The power on tap, even in comfort mode is a joy. The steering and throttle is forgiving and smooth for daily driving but throw her into sport and they become quick and responsive. Sport plus is all about high revs so she won't shift down unless you step in and use the paddles. And that exhaust note is so sweet in all it's burbly glory!

All in all, I love driving her! Anyone who is on the fence, go for a test drive and see for yourself and anyone who is waiting to take delivery of one, you're going to love it!
Thanks for the detailed review. It's funny, I found the opposite, that the 435i gran coupe felt lower, and more nimble than a 335i, haven driven both. Also, the 4 series has a more even weight distribution than the co parable f30. The rear hatch style tailgate that's adds more weight, adds it to the rear, giving the car about perfect 50/50 weight distribution front to rear.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Congrats. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #8
SixStringLuke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed review. It's funny, I found the opposite, that the 435i gran coupe felt lower, and more nimble than a 335i, haven driven both. Also, the 4 series has a more even weight distribution than the co parable f30. The rear hatch style tailgate that's adds more weight, adds it to the rear, giving the car about perfect 50/50 weight distribution front to rear.
I don't know what it was. I cannot discount that I was probably looking for reasons to dislike the 440 but it just didn't feel right to me. I should also disclose we were looking at the gran coupe. The turn in felt not as responsive. The throttle response was more GT like than sport sedan which I think makes sense for the 4 series.

That said, when you compare the 2 cars - add the M package to the 440 and the prices start to come very close. For similar money, you're getting more power and torque plus a refreshed interior with the 340. BMW tweaked a lot of the M stuff you get too (Springs, diff, rigidity).

All I know is that if we use the m340i as an indicator of what's about to come, the new m3 and m4 are going to be EPIC!
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
MT4life575.50
      06-17-2019, 01:56 AM   #9
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:

I don't know what it was. I cannot discount that I was probably looking for reasons to dislike the 440 but it just didn't feel right to me. I should also disclose we were looking at the gran coupe. The turn in felt not as responsive. The throttle response was more GT like than sport sedan which I think makes sense for the 4 series.

That said, when you compare the 2 cars - add the M package to the 440 and the prices start to come very close. For similar money, you're getting more power and torque plus a refreshed interior with the 340. BMW tweaked a lot of the M stuff you get too (Springs, diff, rigidity).

All I know is that if we use the m340i as an indicator of what's about to come, the new m3 and m4 are going to be EPIC!
Ok, I see you were comparing the 440 to the g20 m340, not the f30 340i. My mistake. I haven't driven the m340i yet, so I can't comment on my experience, but from others' comments so far the g20 seems to be an improvement in driving dynamics over the f30/32/36.

I agree that the g80 has the potential to be a beast.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 02:47 AM   #10
lildude
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I just got the M340i and love it also
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
I did test drive the 2019 440 but the interior felt so dated in comparison and the drive just wasnÂ’t as fun. Where the 340 was zippy and responsive in the turns and throttle response (especially in sport and sport plus mode) the 440 felt cumbersome, even with the M package. ItÂ’s a bigger car, carrying more weight with less power and not the best weight distribution so maybe that isnÂ’t surprising. But the sheer contrast was quite striking to me. I should have test driven an M4 instead but just couldnÂ’t get over the interior to be honest.
I know that sitting in the 3er, it felt bigger. I had more arm space in the M340. The 440 was a snug fit for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
SixStringLuke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMobile View Post
I know that sitting in the 3er, it felt bigger. I had more arm space in the M340. The 440 was a snug fit for me.
Yeah, it is bigger than the f30. I had 3 of my friends in the car about 2 weeks ago and they all said it felt roomier too.

I think BMW improved the driving position too because I immediately noticed that I was more comfortable than in my 328i. I finally took it on a long drive along the coast yesterday and I didn't feel any fatigue at all.

Coming from the f30 328, there is a sense of familiarity to the driving experience but definitely improved immensely.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Thanks for the info on the new M340. Keep us updated please.

I had an M4 and loved every second of owning it except for one thing. It was too raw and what I wanted after that and want today still is an M4/M3 without the rawness. Something that is right in the middle, has the power and look and of an M car but a little less harsh. It was love/hate with my dual clutch automatic. Extremely quick and responsive but day to day driving, not so much. Sometimes you just want to put in drive or Drive/Sport and enjoy the car knowing that when you are ready to nail the accelerator the car will come to life. The M4 always felt like it was itching for you to peg the gas so just not balanced enough. Sounds like the M340 may be exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks again
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
SixStringLuke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel View Post
Thanks for the info on the new M340. Keep us updated please.

I had an M4 and loved every second of owning it except for one thing. It was too raw and what I wanted after that and want today still is an M4/M3 without the rawness. Something that is right in the middle, has the power and look and of an M car but a little less harsh. It was love/hate with my dual clutch automatic. Extremely quick and responsive but day to day driving, not so much. Sometimes you just want to put in drive or Drive/Sport and enjoy the car knowing that when you are ready to nail the accelerator the car will come to life. The M4 always felt like it was itching for you to peg the gas so just not balanced enough. Sounds like the M340 may be exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks again
You just encapsulated my thinking about the main reason I steered away from the M4 when I was car shopping. It's definitely tempting with low mileage Pre owned m cars quite common in dealerships close to me but I said in another post that it was too much car for my needs anyway.

I need a daily driver but wanted something with a bit of aggression and I think it really does sit in the sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #15
SixStringLuke
Rep

Pics!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Transfer5242.50
Fuller1216.50
bobalis51.50
BimmerFix1356.50
      06-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

Great looking car! But just so you know, your license plate is still showing on the last two out of three photos.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
SixStringLuke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalis View Post
Great looking car! But just so you know, your license plate is still showing on the last two out of three photos.
Thanks for letting me know but I only hid those to post on a facebook group that I don't completely trust. So here, it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #18
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340xi Msport

Congrats. Beautiful G20, love the color. Good luck with her
      06-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #19
SixStringLuke
Rep