Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board HBO Chernobyl Mini Series

06-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #177
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post

I expect that none of us (who like Chernobyl) take for granted that everything we saw is 100% accurate. The pod casts clearly reveal liberties and interpretations were taken in the production. But that does not mean the show is bad, or is 100% inaccurate, let alone should not be watched. Chernobyl told a story, and tried to shed light on the event. Clearly there was an explosion, and effects felt from the radiation. An entire town of 50,000 was evacuated overnight with its residents never to return. Thousands died. Chernobyl was more than just a “leak” and radiation exposure more than a routine x-ray.

For me, admittedly, I knew very little about the event before watching the series. Now, I have a better understanding of what led up to the reactor explosion.
Furthermore, there are independent sources, articles, books and news reports that generally corroborate the content of the HBO series. That’s good enough for me.
This is sort of the problem, after watching it you still think thousands died, while the real number of confirmed deaths directly connected to radiation leaks is less than 100. Then you have assumptions around increased cancer risk for the years to follow, but the numbers are still low and direct cause and effect is hard to confirm.

So the information everyone need to get is that nuclear power is inherently safe (safer than windpower per MWH generated), unfortunately the majority thinks the opposite. The result is that we're missing out on a great, effective, safe and enviromentally friendly energy source.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #178
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
Quote:

I expect that none of us (who like Chernobyl) take for granted that everything we saw is 100% accurate. The pod casts clearly reveal liberties and interpretations were taken in the production. But that does not mean the show is bad, or is 100% inaccurate, let alone should not be watched. Chernobyl told a story, and tried to shed light on the event. Clearly there was an explosion, and effects felt from the radiation. An entire town of 50,000 was evacuated overnight with its residents never to return. Thousands died. Chernobyl was more than just a “leak” and radiation exposure more than a routine x-ray.

For me, admittedly, I knew very little about the event before watching the series. Now, I have a better understanding of what led up to the reactor explosion.
Furthermore, there are independent sources, articles, books and news reports that generally corroborate the content of the HBO series. That’s good enough for me.
This is sort of the problem, after watching it you still think thousands died, while the real number of confirmed deaths directly connected to radiation leaks is less than 100. Then you have assumptions around increased cancer risk for the years to follow, but the numbers are still low and direct cause and effect is hard to confirm.

So the information everyone need to get is that nuclear power is inherently safe (safer than windpower per MWH generated), unfortunately the majority thinks the opposite. The result is that we're missing out on a great, effective, safe and enviromentally friendly energy source.
All accounts indicate a far higher death count is likely:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deat...er?wprov=sfti1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sary/83220302/
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #179
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Not really, both links supports what I wrote. Less than 100 directly related. The after effects is still unclear, but the most reliable studies indicates a few thousand. Either way, these numbers sound high on their own, but the point is that it's really really low compared to other energy sources.

Example: Coal based power accounts for almost 500 times more deaths (ref: https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-...=.b95407faabbf)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #180
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

This. The problem is that we don't really understand the effects of radiation on human bodies in low doses. Every object gives off a certain amount of radiation, not just blown up reactors.

It's not just Chernobyl that scared people, it's 3 mile island and all of those bomb explosions in the desert where we hand soldiers a pair of glasses and asked them to look at the light. It all adds up to public misunderstanding of the science and engineering.

Last edited by aerokubectl; 06-08-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #181
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
A link from usatoday(lmao you might as well have quoted RT) and Wikipedia. Sure thing bud.

Show us real studies.

A large number of people that lived in Pripyat are still alive today. All of these studies are inherently biased because most of the basic ones look at cancer rates amongst a certain group of people in the same area, but what is the control? If everyone was "affected" then what are you comparing to? You can't compare to another country or a different period of time because the number of variables/features(Machine Learning) are VERY large.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #182
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
This. The problem is that we don't really understand the effects of radiation on human bodies in low doses. Every object gives off a certain amount of radiation, not just blown up reactors.

It's not just Chernobyl that scared people, it's 3 mile island and all of those bomb explosions in the desert where we hand soldiers a pair of glasses and asked them to look at the light. It all adds up to public misunderstanding of the science and engineering.
So, if you were at Chernobyl the night of the explosion, would have no issue or concern standing in the vicinity of an open reactor core? Good to know. I’m sure your enthusiasm and commitment to the workers of the world would have been put to good use.

Regardless, I’m well aware that many objects give off a certain amount of radiation, and can be exposed to radiation by routine activities such as flying. But I don’t confuse that exposure vs. a nuclear meltdown. You might, but I won’t.

Last edited by The Libertine; 06-08-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #183
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, if you were at Chernobyl the night of the explosion, would have no issue or concern standing in the vicinity of an open reactor core? Good to know. I’m sure your enthusiasm and commitment to the workers of the world would have been put to good use.

Regardless, I’m well aware that many objects give off a certain amount of radiation, and can be exposed to radiation by routine activities such as flying. But I don’t confuse that exposure vs. a nuclear meltdown. You might, but I won’t.
No one is contesting that it is dangerous to be inside a Nuclear power plant during a meltdown. But there's a pretty far stretch from that to thinking that Nuclear power plants are dangerous and shouldn't be used as a power source (which is simply not true). Unfortunately many still think this is the case.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #184
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:

I would be very concerned but I'm also not a mor0n when it comes to the science. Is it dangerous? Yes. How much? I don't know, show me a thorough study with various groups of patients with various amounts of radiation exposure over various degrees of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #185
Ivan Ivanov
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X1, X3

Great movie in general! But he made, of course, precisely for the western audience.

In Russia, there is an expression "Развесистая клюква" in French "sous l’ombre d’un klukva majestueux" or in English (but wrong) - highbush cranberry, cranberry tree. In fact, it is an expression denoting fictions, false stereotypes, distorted ideas and absurd inventions about Russia.
These are all stamps about Russia - about bears, frost, vodka, communists and others.
And in this film all these stamps are at every turn: vodka, comrades, meetings, soldiers, naked miners (hee hee), strange that there were no bears...
Separate respect to filmmakers for the comparison of Soviet soldiers and Nazis - very cute.

Well, the most important thing that I understood from this film is that the western audience will now be almost certain that everything that happens in the film exists in Russia and now.
And it should sow icy fear in the soul of the viewer
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #186
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
I would be very concerned but I'm also not a mor0n when it comes to the science. Is it dangerous? Yes. How much? I don't know, show me a thorough study with various groups of patients with various amounts of radiation exposure over various degrees of time.
There is so much unknown with radiation exposure. Your anti-ChernobylTV trolling propaganda is not helping though.

The radiation levels are higher closer to the reactor, but there are also hot spots all over the town from the radioactive "dust" in the air falling in certain spots.

It is like you can walk to your neighbors house across the street, but if you walk to your neighbor to your right you will get radiation. There is in some cases no rhyme or reason why the "dust" fell there.

So many places you can now just walk through, but there are so many dangerous hot spots.

They have tours and all on set paths. As long as you are on the paths you will be fine, but if you deviate from any of the paths even a little you start to hear that eerie tick tick tick tickticktick.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #187
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ivanov View Post
Great movie in general! But he made, of course, precisely for the western audience
Well, the most important thing that I understood from this film is that the western audience will now be almost certain that everything that happens in the film exists in Russia and now.
And it should sow icy fear in the soul of the viewer
It's a show. Mini series docu-drama.

Realize a lot of people (in the US as your comment is pointing out) can discern the difference from actual truth and when things get romanticized for viewership and media.

The show is great as most people in here agree. The podcasts with the creators also indicate not everything is 100% accurate. Prime example being Emily Watson's character.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #188
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Not really, both links supports what I wrote. Less than 100 directly related. The after effects is still unclear, but the most reliable studies indicates a few thousand. Either way, these numbers sound high on their own, but the point is that it's really really low compared to other energy sources.

Example: Coal based power accounts for almost 500 times more deaths (ref: https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-...=.b95407faabbf)
You also have to remember that the Soviet union/Russia and Belarus are very secretive. We don't have all the information to this day.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #189
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You also have to remember that the Soviet union/Russia and Belarus are very secretive. We don't have all the information to this day.
Sure, but there are nuclear power plants in lots of other countries (including USA).
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #190
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Realize a lot of people (in the US as your comment is pointing out) can discern the difference from actual truth and when things get romanticized for viewership and media.
No. Everyone I've met thinks this is 1:1 of how it all occurred. They don't even realize the female character wasn't real...forget about the fact that the whole court thing was staged and fake AF.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #191
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
No. Everyone I've met thinks this is 1:1 of how it all occurred. They don't even realize the female character wasn't real...forget about the fact that the whole court thing was staged and fake AF.
Because the Soviet union was such a workers paradise? How did that state fail?!?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #192
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
From the start of this thread, all you do is cry.

You know what you should do?

Go and start an online petition to HBO how they should rewrite the whole show to your truthful and perfect standards.

Don't forget to go to every youtube clip about the show and voice your opinions there too. Where it matters

I wish you success in your endeavor as the salt levels in your blood are laughable.

Good day.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #193
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Because the Soviet union was such a workers paradise? How did that state fail?!?
Didn't say it was. Nice job deflecting and red herring all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #194
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Quote:
You and the people you know should listen to the podcast. It's a good listen and they discuss specifically what was historical fact, hearsay and just plain made up.

To counterbalance your observation: I don't know anyone that watched this and didn't realize it was historical fiction.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #195
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Didn't say it was. Nice job deflecting and red herring all over the place.
No herrings here in Dallas. "Red" or otherwise......
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #196
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Binge watched it over a couple days, meh. About the most enjoyment I had out of watching it was trying to spot as many GOT actors as I could. I'm glad I read about the dog shootings here first so I could just skip those spots, that was all fantasy bullshit anyway. Why they had to make up a female character to be the hero of the story...oh never mind, yeah I do.

C+
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #197
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
You and the people you know should listen to the podcast. It's a good listen and they discuss specifically what was historical fact, hearsay and just plain made up.

To counterbalance your observation: I don't know anyone that watched this and didn't realize it was historical fiction.
I'll check it out, can you link the one you liked?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #198
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If they don't all put out those cigarettes they are going to get cancer!!