Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions NFC keycard - The issue and my solution

06-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Bapster
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i mSport

NFC keycard - The issue and my solution

This is about my experience with the NFC keycard. I post this because I figured that there are others having this issue. Even the dealership was baffled by it not working properly to the point of recommending a Hail Mary and all kinds of weird suggestions.

However, I think I figured it out:

If you hold the thing horizontally against the door handle and rock it up and down against the angled ridge on the handle, it works every time.

Also, the BMW Genius at my dealership said that it can't be attached to profile but he was wrong - it can.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
lildude
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Now I'm going to have to try it. I know it is activated already because we did that yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Is it difficult to carry a key? And is it more convenient to have to touch the handle with a NFC device and place the device in the console? Really, that's easier than a key?
      06-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
dpod25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Is it difficult to carry a key? And is it more convenient to have to touch the handle with a NFC device and place the device in the console? Really, that's easier than a key?
It's a great way to show off to your friends and family
"Look at me open and start my car without a key!"

But in seriousness, I agree with you. Keeping the key in your pocket and using comfort access is way easier.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Yes it IS if you want to go swimming and not leave your keys out on the beach or pool to get stolen when unattended. Keep the card in your bathing suit. People who go surfing for example can't take their digital key in the water....

For routine use, I agree....
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
Bapster
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i mSport

Quote:
In my particular use case, we share car between my wife, daughter and myself and one of us who uses the car least carries this in wallet. It hasn't been worth it to us to order a third key so this was a welcome added feature... Also sometimes we need to switch cars when the other is at work. Bottom line, it's there and claimed to be a feature and it must work...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Yes it IS if you want to go swimming and not leave your keys out on the beach or pool to get stolen when unattended. Keep the card in your bathing suit. People who go surfing for example can't take their digital key in the water....

For routine use, I agree....
I get ya. My comment was mostly tongue in cheek. Most people using the NFC feature are using it for its newness/cool factor and to show off to their Tesla friends. However, based on what I've seen and heard thus far, you might want to keep that key not terribly far away as a backup for when the NFC acts up. At least until BMW works it all out.

I'm sure you're familiar with water proof bags surfers use.
      06-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapster View Post
In my particular use case, we share car between my wife, daughter and myself and one of us who uses the car least carries this in wallet. It hasn't been worth it to us to order a third key so this was a welcome added feature... Also sometimes we need to switch cars when the other is at work. Bottom line, it's there and claimed to be a feature and it must work...
I agree 100%, it should work as designed/marketed and I have no doubt it will.

The NFC/digital key also has its claimed functionality where you can send a digital key remotely to a friend to access your car. i.e. when traveling and you want to let someone drive your car. (in my decades of driving, I've never need this functionality, but maybe someone would).
      06-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

This third key card could be of use for valet parking: You can set profiles to lock the trunk electronically and and lock the glove box(using the metal key slide-out on the main key)

So with the NFC key card, the valet person only has access to locking/unlocking doors and starting the engine. In principle sounds good, but not necessary for where I live.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #10
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Yup, just more options.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0