Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Drove an M340i at BMW M Town Tour last night

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Drove an M340i at BMW M Town Tour last night

So I finally got to drive the new M340i last night and I thought I would share my takeaways on it. So let's get right to it, shall we??

Pros:
- The steering is a little better than my F30. It's weird, but it is more direct and has better turn in, however, it feels more artificial than my F30's rack. My F30's feels better, but does not react as quick as the G30.

- The new iDrive display is nice and big. I really like how it works and is a vast improvement over the F30.

- The digital dash is pretty cool, but there is just WAY too much going on in there. It's a lot to take in, and I'm not sure I love how the tach works in reverse.

- The exhaust sounds good good in sport mode. It's a little quieter than my MPPSK, but not by much. Some nice burbles and pops.

- Power delivery is good and more linear than my F30. I would say it is a little faster, but not by much. I think the extra horses make it smoother, but the car also feels heavier so I'm not sure.

- The car is much quieter than my F30 which is a really good thing.

Cons:
- The interior is cheap, cheap, cheap....I was very disappointed in the hard plastic used. It feels even cheaper than my F30 which I didn't think is possible. I hate the way the dash slopes down. Not a good look.

- The car is just too big. It feels like a 5 series. It is no longer a smaller car that is fun to throw around. The F30 was already getting too big and they just made it bigger.

- The wheels look too small for the car. Even though they are 19's, with how big the wheel arches are, they look like 17's on it. It might look good on 20's but who knows?

- I'm just not a fan of the overall look of the car. I'm sure it will grow on me, but it's going to take some time.

- The M badge should not be on this car. I'm not sure what DNA it gets from any M car but it should definitely just be a 340i.

To sum things up, is it a better car than the F30? Of course it is, and it should be. It's not enough for me to want to get rid of my 340i, but maybe enough for others. The car is too big and no longer feels like a 3 series. I love all the technology, but it feels overdone. I'm probably missing a lot, so feel free to ask any questions.

On a side note, there was time to drive another BMW after my M340i drive and I knew they had an M2 competition, so I asked if I could take it for a spin. Unfortunately, some jackass had totaled it 2 hours before I got there, hitting a tree while going around a corner.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3

Last edited by F30ZHP; 06-20-2019 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Added another pro
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Cosmo_Kramer
Private First Class
42
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: Lexus
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Can you drive the car by yourself at M town or a BMW guy will ride along?
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Can you drive the car by yourself at M town or a BMW guy will ride along?
You get to drive it all by yourself. They put the route you take in the navigation and you just follow it.

Not sure why this thread would be deleted. I wasn't really bashing the car OR praising it. Just sharing my 2 cents.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
Cosmo_Kramer
Private First Class
42
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: Lexus
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
You get to drive it all by yourself. They put the route you take in the navigation and you just follow it.

Not sure why this thread would be deleted. I wasn't really bashing the car OR praising it. Just sharing my 2 cents.
Awesome! Thanks mine is coming up in early August.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
Transfer
Brigadier General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
1858
Rep
3,949
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, B9 SQ5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

Yeah I would disagree with a lot of this but good to hear multiple impressions. Interesting that F30 owners don't like the G20 but F30 haters (me included) generally do like it. Different preferences I guess.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Jmpascual
Second Lieutenant
Jmpascual's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive, 2019 BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Dover, Delaware

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Yeah I would disagree with a lot of this but good to hear multiple impressions. Interesting that F30 owners don't like the G20 but F30 haters (me included) generally do like it. Different preferences I guess.
To each their own. I have both an F30 and G20. I generally agree with what the OP said but I feel like the cabin in the G20 is waaaay better in quality.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
To each their own. I have both an F30 and G20. I generally agree with what the OP said but I feel like the cabin in the G20 is waaaay better in quality.
And most of the cabin IS far superior to the F30. It's just the quality of the plastics that are a turn off.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Pauleebe
Colonel
Pauleebe's Avatar
United_States
232
Rep
2,049
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

I'm surprised by your comments regarding the interior, as it's in direct contrast with the majority of new owners and reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
I'm surprised by your comments regarding the interior, as it's in direct contrast with the majority of new owners and reviews.
Well I guess I was expecting a more upscale interior that would compete with Audi and Benz, but this ain't it.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
221
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340xi
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Well I guess I was expecting a more upscale interior that would compete with Audi and Benz, but this ain't it.
I agree with you on this one. I think build quality is better than the F30, but the materials used are still lackluster in general. The plastic around the HVAC controls, door controls/sill, and the big empty space beneath the iDrive controller does not look good and will not age well.
Appreciate 1
F30ZHP500.00

      06-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Patgilm
Enlisted Member
20
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: GT-R, Durango SRT, IS350
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Crofton, MD

iTrader: (0)

I agree that I think the interior of the Audi is better but I do think the M340 interior is better than the MB. Also, with regards to the digital dash, to me the Audi is way better and will age better. The BMW dash is nice but a little cheesy/cheap looking and may not age well. The tetragon trim on the M340 I test drove made the interior look really cheap. I'm also with you on the size of the car, it feels bigger and heavier than the other cars in its class.

All in all, I still really like the M340 best of the cars I compared it to and hopefully mine will be here in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 1
F30ZHP500.00

      06-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I agree that I think the interior of the Audi is better but I do think the M340 interior is better than the MB. Also, with regards to the digital dash, to me the Audi is way better and will age better. The BMW dash is nice but a little cheesy/cheap looking and may not age well. The tetragon trim on the M340 I test drove made the interior look really cheap. I'm also with you on the size of the car, it feels bigger and heavier than the other cars in its class.

All in all, I still really like the M340 best of the cars I compared it to and hopefully mine will be here in a couple weeks.
I think that was the trim on the car I test drove. Didn't like it. I should have taken pictures.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
geddylee
Private First Class
United_States
74
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2018 Bmw 340i Msport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I agree with everything said here. The car to me is not a significant leap forward and for the areas that are far better there are too many things I find a huge step backwards -

The live cockpit

The cheap shifter

The hideous grille

The increased size without any more interior space

I can't live with any of these so I will pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
mcjohnsonsg
Private
59
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: M340 xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I agree that I think the interior of the Audi is better but I do think the M340 interior is better than the MB. Also, with regards to the digital dash, to me the Audi is way better and will age better. The BMW dash is nice but a little cheesy/cheap looking and may not age well. The tetragon trim on the M340 I test drove made the interior look really cheap. I'm also with you on the size of the car, it feels bigger and heavier than the other cars in its class.

All in all, I still really like the M340 best of the cars I compared it to and hopefully mine will be here in a couple weeks.
I think that was the trim on the car I test drove. Didn't like it. I should have taken pictures.
Yes, in my opinion tetragon trim is the cheapest looking of all the finishes. I got the oak trim in mine, and i feel it gives it a classier look than the tetragon.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #15
Prissy
Brigadier General
Prissy's Avatar
Taiwan
474
Rep
4,460
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [2.75]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [4.50]
2010 BMW E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Well I guess I was expecting a more upscale interior that would compete with Audi and Benz, but this ain't it.
I am not sure what you are comparing the G20 to... S Class? The G20 interior is way better than a current C Class.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
I am not sure what you are comparing the G20 to... S Class? The G20 interior is way better than a current C Class.
I wouldn't say it is better than the C Class at all. The C Class is a bit better IMO.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the jackass who wrecked the M2 Competition that I wanted to drive. I was upset!!
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #18
praxis218
Lieutenant
620
Rep
509
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
I agree with everything said here. The car to me is not a significant leap forward and for the areas that are far better there are too many things I find a huge step backwards -

The live cockpit

The cheap shifter

The hideous grille

The increased size without any more interior space

I can't live with any of these so I will pass.
Really? I feel it makes the F3x horribly outdated. To each their own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the jackass who wrecked the M2 Competition that I wanted to drive. I was upset!!
I think the M2C doesn't require supervision for the drive... guessing the turned off DSC and went crazy on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #19
Cosmo_Kramer
Private First Class
42
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: Lexus
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the jackass who wrecked the M2 Competition that I wanted to drive. I was upset!!
So these cars don't belong to the dealer but BMW corporate?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #20
F30ZHP
Captain
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
500
Rep
801
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
So these cars don't belong to the dealer but BMW corporate?
Correct. One of the guys running the event stated that BMW would have to pay for the totaled car. They all had New Jersey plates on them.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
Patgilm
Enlisted Member
20
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: GT-R, Durango SRT, IS350
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Crofton, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Yes, in my opinion tetragon trim is the cheapest looking of all the finishes. I got the oak trim in mine, and i feel it gives it a classier look than the tetragon.
I got the oak as well but even that trim doesn’t look all that good.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #22
mcjohnsonsg
Private
59
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: M340 xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Yes, in my opinion tetragon trim is the cheapest looking of all the finishes. I got the oak trim in mine, and i feel it gives it a classier look than the tetragon.
I got the oak as well but even that trim doesn’t look all that good.
Definitely a long way from perfect but I came from an M235i, which had a fairly low-rent interior and trim, so I'm probably easy to please!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST