Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Software updates discussions

08-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #793
tommy_sn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
Did you manage to find out?
No..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #794
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I currently have the 07/2019 version and got a notification to download version 11/2019 yesterday... I'm leaning towards not doing it so I don't lose my coding. Am I missing anything big?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #795
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_sn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
Did you manage to find out?
No..
There is no way to force a software update.

Unless you hold a dealer captive.
      08-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #796
i4Dravit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22 Z4 M40i - 14 Z4 35i (Sold)

Just had a dealer quote me $320 to update to the latest version.

They also noticed the coding I've done to the car and blamed all bugs on my coding...

Issues I'm having are
  • Audio sometimes does not resume after a phone call. Turning the volume knob continues to display "phone volume" despite the call being disconnected.
  • No ringtone over the speakers. Media does not lower volume. The only notification I get is in the instrument cluster. I miss a lot of calls due to this.

Currently on 11/2019.53

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #797
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khine13 View Post

They also noticed the coding I've done to the car and blamed all bugs on my coding...

Issues I'm having are
  • Audio sometimes does not resume after a phone call. Turning the volume knob continues to display "phone volume" despite the call being disconnected.
  • No ringtone over the speakers. Media does not lower volume. The only notification I get is in the instrument cluster. I miss a lot of calls due to this.

Currently on 11/2019.53

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hi. For software updates dealers have to wrap it up with warranty work to get paid by BMW so some charge to do it if they can't wrap it up with something else. Had this myself on my previous car and heard this situation before. Not saying it's right but not unusual.

Have you tried a full reset - put back to factory and then relink with connected drive? Could also try disconnecting the negative from battery in the boot.

As for the coding... also on my previous car dealer came down on me hard for the coding I had done when I had an issue with iDrive. They started threatening to remove warranty on iDrive system etc. I played dumb but they said changes and error codes came up on their Laptop and I must have done it myself as it wasn't from a BMW update program. Refused point blank to look at the car and gave back my keys.

Bit of a nightmare. Went to another dealer miles away, said my iDrive was playing up and they reset the system and did an update. All fine after that.

People think coding is harmless - it isn't. Granted most dealers have no idea but when they know they know. I'm not touching my M340i.
      08-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #798
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
Quote:

Issues I'm having are

Currently on 11/2019.53

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hi. For software updates dealers have to wrap it up with warranty work to get paid by BMW so some charge to do it if they can't wrap it up with something else. Had this myself on my previous car and heard this situation before. Not saying it's right but not unusual.

Have you tried a full reset - put back to factory and then relink with connected drive? Could also try disconnecting the negative from battery in the boot.

As for the coding... also on my previous car dealer came down on me hard for the coding I had done when I had an issue with iDrive. They started threatening to remove warranty on iDrive system etc. I played dumb but they said changes and error codes came up on their Laptop and I must have done it myself as it wasn't from a BMW update program. Refused point blank to look at the car and gave back my keys.

Bit of a nightmare. Went to another dealer miles away, said my iDrive was playing up and they reset the system and did an update. All fine after that.

People think coding is harmless - it isn't. Granted most dealers have no idea but when they know they know. I'm not touching my M340i.
If coding is a concern wouldn't you simply be able to save your codings, reset the car, then bring it into the dealer for an update?

I'm new to coding so I'm not sure if that's impossible or what it entails.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #799
i4Dravit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22 Z4 M40i - 14 Z4 35i (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
If coding is a concern wouldn't you simply be able to save your codings, reset the car, then bring it into the dealer for an update?

I'm not sure about saving the codings (other than making a list of what I've done thus far)

That is my plan though, fully reset the car and see if my issues are solved. If not, take it back to the dealer.

I have a hard time believing the changes I've made is what is causing my issue. I've had the issue with the ringtone since I took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #800
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure about saving the codings (other than making a list of what I've done thus far)

That is my plan though, fully reset the car and see if my issues are solved. If not, take it back to the dealer.

I have a hard time believing the changes I've made is what is causing my issue. I've had the issue with the ringtone since I took delivery.
There's also this link below that I posted in another thread referencing a SIB you can use. I'm just not sure how to tell the dealer why you needed to deactivate the motion sensor using 2 lock presses or whatnot. But it sounds like that will get you the upgrade for free.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26527081
Appreciate 1
hamera441.50
      08-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #801
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
I'm just not sure how to tell the dealer why you needed to deactivate the motion sensor using 2 lock presses or whatnot. But it sounds like that will get you the upgrade for free.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26527081

There are plenty of reasons. Some are even listed in the car's manual
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #802
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it probably isn't the coding just that BMW will use it as an excuse to not do the work (if wanting it under warranty). If they brick the ECU they will then blame your coding.

As for resetting your coding - I tried this. I used Bimmercode so it might be different via the proper laptop and cable option - you upload a back up of your car before coding but loads of error codes remained for me that weren't there before coding even after clearing and having an update done.

Like I say the second dealer didn't even notice.

Not sure if there is a way to totally remove evidence of coding?
      08-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #803
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
"Not sure if there is a way to totally remove evidence of coding?"

I'm about to fully immerse myself into coding, and if this is going to cause issues, that makes me take pause 😐 I'd definitely want to know if it's possible or needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #804
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i X Drive

Quote:

Issues I'm having are

Currently on 11/2019.53

Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I’m from Toronto, Canada, I was also quoted $320 to get the July (Android auto) update from the dealer yesterday.
This is different from before as a few weeks ago i was told that the new July update would only be compatible with MY2021.
They said i would be better off waiting for the remote software update which will be free but they couldn’t tell me when it will be available.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #805
AtticusHoy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I'm still very confused by all the people showing up at dealerships expecting to get the latest version of software "just 'cause".

Dealerships have a business model predicated upon decades and decades of identifying defective items on a car and offering solutions for a profit. They are not, generally speaking, in touch with modern SaaS business plans or platforms.

As a result, all encounters with a dealership should probably be viewed through that lense. They aren't intrinsically interested in giving you new features for your car or offering you a better product than the one you paid for. They are solely interested in generating billable hours to charge BMW (or you) based on what they have been doing for decades— finding problems with your vehicle. Ultimately, BMW doesn't want you to go to the dealership to get a software upgrade—even if that means you have to wait 6 months to get an upgrade you could go get at the dealership today.

It's likely easier today to "identify a software defect" (such as wireless CarPlay dropping out randomly) to convince a dealership to perform the upgrade as warranty work and charge BMW. Which is generally the direction I would go if I wanted the software upgrade earlier. I just think it's realistic at this point to go into the dealership with the expectation that you will need to identify some kind of defect before they will upgrade the software.
Appreciate 1
dpod25102.00
      08-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #806
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusHoy View Post
I'm still very confused by all the people showing up at dealerships expecting to get the latest version of software "just 'cause".

Dealerships have a business model predicated upon decades and decades of identifying defective items on a car and offering solutions for a profit. They are not, generally speaking, in touch with modern SaaS business plans or platforms.

As a result, all encounters with a dealership should probably be viewed through that lense. They aren't intrinsically interested in giving you new features for your car or offering you a better product than the one you paid for. They are solely interested in generating billable hours to charge BMW (or you) based on what they have been doing for decades— finding problems with your vehicle. Ultimately, BMW doesn't want you to go to the dealership to get a software upgrade—even if that means you have to wait 6 months to get an upgrade you could go get at the dealership today.

It's likely easier today to "identify a software defect" (such as wireless CarPlay dropping out randomly) to convince a dealership to perform the upgrade as warranty work and charge BMW. Which is generally the direction I would go if I wanted the software upgrade earlier. I just think it's realistic at this point to go into the dealership with the expectation that you will need to identify some kind of defect before they will upgrade the software.
The issue I have is that the car is advertised as having updatable software. Since having the vehicle (at least for Canadians) it has never received a "remote software update".
I also feel that BMW (at least head office) is changing their views on things. Now offering a subscription model for features? Sounds very Tesla like....

But I will agree, at this point in time, better to have an issue (i.e. wireless CarPlay cutting out) for them to update the software at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:12 AM   #807
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavio829 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusHoy View Post

The issue I have is that the car is advertised as having updatable software. Since having the vehicle (at least for Canadians) it has never received a "remote software update".
I also feel that BMW (at least head office) is changing their views on things. Now offering a subscription model for features? Sounds very Tesla like....

But I will agree, at this point in time, better to have an issue (i.e. wireless CarPlay cutting out) for them to update the software at the dealer.

But I will agree, at this point in time, better to have an issue (i.e. wireless CarPlay cutting out) for them to update the software at the dealer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is annoying. I've also never had an OTA update.

The only reason I have 07.2020 is because my dealer unexpectedly updated it during some warranty work otherwise is was a 'no wait for the OTA sir'.

I have to say 07.2020 does appear to be very stable.

My thoughts are that pre July 2020 build cars are a bit of a test for BMW. Reason I say this is because the original software required several updates to fix glitches. For July 2020 onward build cars they made some minor but interesting changes - come with software 07.2020, Android auto from factory, add a programmable button for HBA which can be downloaded from Connected Drive store and now have iPhone car key compatibility.

What I'm hoping for is that once all cars are updated to 07.2020 then the rollouts will be easier and more frequent. Still don't understand why they don't release it is a downloadable update to USB like maps though.
      08-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #808
ricdanger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
My thoughts are that pre July 2020 build cars are a bit of a test for BMW. Reason I say this is because the original software required several updates to fix glitches. For July 2020 onward build cars they made some minor but interesting changes - come with software 07.2020, Android auto from factory, add a programmable button for HBA which can be downloaded from Connected Drive store and now have iPhone car key compatibility.
Uhmm. Can you provide me more details about that HBA thing? It was previously possible to buy it from the store, just not for "Advantage" that didn't had the physical button. Is it different now with 07.2020?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #809
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdanger View Post
Quote:
Uhmm. Can you provide me more details about that HBA thing? It was previously possible to buy it from the store, just not for "Advantage" that didn't had the physical button. Is it different now with 07.2020?
From what I've seen and heard from my dealer, cars built from July 2020 come with a button on the stalk that is programmable. Nothing to do with software version (all July built cars will have 07.2020 software).

You download the software and map to the button.

I can see the software in connected drive store but it it isn't compatible with my Nov 2019 build car. When I asked a dealer (very knowledgable one) why, he said it's because you need this button to program.

If you have a pre July 2020 build car without laser lights then not possible to have HBA via BMW.
      08-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #810
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I believe the turn signal stalk will come with 2 buttons on the end. Customers in US will have HBA by default from factory and ROW will be have the option to add HBA via software purchase. I already looked into adding the clock spring with the correct stalk on my 2020 but don't know if FSC is required in KAFAS4 MID to enable HBA.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #811
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket455 View Post
Ugh. That's not a very flattering review of the AA update at all ....laggy, unreliable and buggy in general. I'm hoping it's not across the board; still waiting for the update on my end.

This is all over the place too, seems like no method to the madness that I can decipher for the roll out. Some folks did an OTA, others through the dealer, and others yet where there's no OTA and dealers are completely unaware too. Regardless, if AA is buggy and crappy then this update is pretty useless to me.
In all fairness though, ACP was extremely buggy when I took delivery of my G20 last year. But after one update it has run perfectly ever since. I guess the it’s to be expected in a first release
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #812
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
juhcobywankenobi ,

Regarding your concern about coding and problems with dealer catching it. I have been coding both my current and previous BMW and have taken the cars into dealer for regular service, never having any problem.

The only time you may even raise an eyebrow, so to speak is if you change the Vehicle Order (VO or FA for the German), then you'll have to make sure that you don't code to the VCM, rather than the regular SVT. This type of coding can only be done right now with a laptop and E-Sys.

One final note, on my F30, the dealer installed a rear view camera after I bought the car, BUT I coded it -- with the full knowledge of the shop foreman.

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #813
sanch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavio829 View Post
I’m from Toronto, Canada, I was also quoted $320 to get the July (Android auto) update from the dealer yesterday.
This is different from before as a few weeks ago i was told that the new July update would only be compatible with MY2021.
They said i would be better off waiting for the remote software update which will be free but they couldn’t tell me when it will be available.
I am in Toronto and finally received the notification for remote software upgrade to 11/2019.70 yesterday. Remote upgrade to July 2020 version is probably not too far behind.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #814
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
juhcobywankenobi ,

Regarding your concern about coding and problems with dealer catching it. I have been coding both my current and previous BMW and have taken the cars into dealer for regular service, never having any problem.

The only time you may even raise an eyebrow, so to speak is if you change the Vehicle Order (VO or FA for the German), then you'll have to make sure that you don't code to the VCM, rather than the regular SVT. This type of coding can only be done right now with a laptop and E-Sys.

One final note, on my F30, the dealer installed a rear view camera after I bought the car, BUT I coded it -- with the full knowledge of the shop foreman.

Hope that helps
Awesome to know! I'm just waiting for my dongle to ship from esysx, already have my OBDII reader.

I see that I could mod the VO but haven't read why I would do that. And I'm not familiar with the VCM.

I'll continue reading to learn all these terms, but very glad there are so many helpful people here!
Appreciate 1
RSnic657.50