Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

09-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #1079
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
I am not questioning your marketing sense, I am questioning your knowledge of Toyota production costs. You say it would be $50K-$55k for a car with a shortened lightened less luxury Lexus chassis with a V35a and unique interior and exterior. But that just described the the $95K RC F track edition without even factoring the costs of a unique interior and exterior and cost differential of the V35a over the 2ur. What makes the car $40K cheaper out of no where?

They may have turned people off but they also brought in new perspective buyers. Yeah they definitely should have tried to replicate their 90s sales flop for the sake of bragging rights by celica owners at car meets. If it doesn't sell well, that just means it lives up to its predecessor.

The manual transmission part isn't a big deal today for everyone especially at a time when the corvette and 3 series wont have them either.
I don't understand why you keeping bringing up the RC-F Track edition. It's more expensive because of "adding lightness" through things like carbon fiber and lighter components. I'm just talking about lopping half a foot off the RC-F chassis, like BMW has done in the past, and those cars ended up being cheaper than the larger cars. Plus, specialty cars like the Track Edition usually have considerable profit margins compared to regular versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #1080
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
That's why I said the "under-35 crowd" are the ones complaining.

It's not like it's the first time manufacturers have used another engine or had developing it.

Yamaha and the SHO V6, Porsche and the Harley VROD, Lotus using Toyota engines, etc, etc.
Sure, brands like Lotus use a Toyota engine...heck, even the McLaren F1 used a BMW engine, but the entire underpinnings of the Supra are BMW, which is quite a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #1081
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
I don't understand why you keeping bringing up the RC-F Track edition. It's more expensive because of "adding lightness" through things like carbon fiber and lighter components. I'm just talking about lopping half a foot off the RC-F chassis, like BMW has done in the past, and those cars ended up being cheaper than the larger cars. Plus, specialty cars like the Track Edition usually have considerable profit margins compared to regular versions.
The RC was developed by using many other chassis's and still came out to the same weight as the longer GS. Here we have a Lexus chassis that was developed yet no weight was able to be saved from.

I bring up the RC-F track edition because it is the lightweight version of that. Of course CF had to be used because if weight savings were cheap/easy at this point to save weight then they would have done it when initially developing the RC chassis to begin with.

You say they could just cut a foot off and save weight but that did not save weight when creating the RC initially so how would it work here?

Yes specialty cars do have a larger profit margin but that is because the economies of scale of a specialty model allow them to do. The RC-F Track Edition would be way more expensive if it didn't share most of the interiors, exteriors, drivetrains, and suspensions with the RC and RC-F models. The M4 GTS would be way more expensive if it didn't share most of the interiors, exteriors, drivetrains, and suspensions with the 4 series and M4 models. How does this work with the Supra since it doesn't have a base car to build off of? This is why the GTR is so much more money than the Skyline GTRs were of old (after adjusting for inflation obviously), they no longer have the base Skyline models to build off of.

And yeah 1 series cars were cheaper than 3 series models because it does not make business sense to price the lower model higher
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #1082
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
You can't shorten/extend platforms just because you want to. They have set hardpoints, set wheelbase range, etc. that limit their flexibility.

If you want to sportscar, best to build a purpose built sportscar chassis. A shortened sedan chassis isn't going to cut it as its built to handle much heavier weight and size requirements.

The Nissan 350/370's are great examples of this. Just a compromised car. A 370Z weighs the same as a Corvette C6(similar time frame for comparison) with far less power, equipment, and a much smaller footprint. The S2000 was much lighter despite being around the same size as well.

A shortened RC chassis, still has a good chance of being way overweight as its already been modified and ended up too heavy as it is.

Last edited by See5; 09-03-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 4
nlaak85.50
supra932474.00
clee1982796.00
      09-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #1083
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Numbers for August are in. 643 Supras were sold.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-...st-2019-sales/
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #1084
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Does the B58 sit more upright in the Supra compared to most BMWs? I was a bit perplexed to see a recent YouTuber showing his turbo swap Supra and he yanked the airbox and the turbo was easily accessible. On my M235, the N55 leans way over and I can't even see the turbo from the top. The B58 M240s are the same way.

I REALLY wish the styling of the Supra wasn't so over the top. It's dialed up to 11 whereas an 8 would do. Too many fake vents, fins, foils, and a wonky nose. Otherwise, the shape is nice and overall, it's pretty damn killer car. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I see one in person.
      09-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #1085
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
I keep hearing positive opinions of the cars in-person aesthetics and presence, especially in yellow.

Tada insisting the MT enthusiasts should try the AT and be won over by its evolution and ever improving tech is bogus. There is absolutely a market and stubborn customer base that will accept nothing short of MT for a weekend (or daily) car. Let's hope its coming in one of the future variants ($$)
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #1086
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Does the B58 sit more upright in the Supra compared to most BMWs? I was a bit perplexed to see a recent YouTuber showing his turbo swap Supra and he yanked the airbox and the turbo was easily accessible. On my M235, the N55 leans way over and I can't even see the turbo from the top. The B58 M240s are the same way.

I REALLY wish the styling of the Supra wasn't so over the top. It's dialed up to 11 whereas an 8 would do. Too many fake vents, fins, foils, and a wonky nose. Otherwise, the shape is nice and overall, it's pretty damn killer car. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I see one in person.
Same 30° angle as any relatively recent BMW straight six. Remember, this car is a BMW chassis with a BMW engine assembled at a BMW plant.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #1087
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
I looked at a local launch edition and was surprised by all of the fake vents. I knew it going in, but to see it in person was disappointing. Even more so than the fake vents on the side of the M2. I am still interested in driving one, but don't see myself pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #1088
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In person the shape is very aggressive where the rest is toned down to result in a muscular shape. The fake vents are truly blown out of proportion, yeah they are fake but you don't notice them unless you're looking for them. The nose is still fugly though and they should have made the mouth wider instead of matching the FT1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #1089
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

I disagree on not noticing the fake vents
Everytime you'd open your driver door you'd have to look at the largest fake vent on the body next to the handle
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #1090
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Sure, brands like Lotus use a Toyota engine...heck, even the McLaren F1 used a BMW engine, but the entire underpinnings of the Supra are BMW, which is quite a bit different.
This guy gets it. The supra is essentially the Asian version of the crossfire. It's nothing like the other guy was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
The Nissan 350/370's are great examples of this. Just a compromised car. A 370Z weighs the same as a Corvette C6(similar time frame for comparison) with far less power, equipment, and a much smaller footprint. The S2000 was much lighter despite being around the same size as well.
Another silly comparison. The Corvette is a more expensive car all the way around, so of course it's going to be a more of a performance car. Clearly though, Asian companies do not really see the value in supporting performance car as they do any other vehicle they make. Toyota went to another brand to make their car and Nissan decided to make one platform/powertrain and keep it the same for over a decade. Honda is the exception here, but the NSX isn't exactly cheap. But I respect Honda much more for their attempt with the NSX than their Asian competitors, which should be ashamed of themselves.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      09-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #1091
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Same 30° angle as any relatively recent BMW straight six. Remember, this car is a BMW chassis with a BMW engine assembled at a BMW plant.
That's what I figured, but if you watch this video (look at the 7 minute mark), the turbo and EWG is easily serviceable/replaceable compared to any turbo I6 BMW I've ever seen. Most every other turbo swap requires you to yank engine mounts, lift the engine slightly, and have some creative movements to get the turbo out the bottom. I suppose the revised B58 without exterior exhaust manifold is freeing up a lot of space and makes things FAR more accessible from the top. That alone should make turbo swaps very common on these cars.

09-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #1092
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
I disagree on not noticing the fake vents
Everytime you'd open your driver door you'd have to look at the largest fake vent on the body next to the handle
If I got one, I'd body color paint/wrap for the hood vents and develop body colored piece that fits into the fake door vent to make it blend in with the fender. I'd then body color paint/wrap the front and rear lower valence black winglets (wish they weren't there) and the black portion in the lower front bumper.

The Japanese had such organic and elegant designs back in the 1990s and early 2000s. The new Supra got close, but it's like they just couldn't quite resist. Kind of like American designs where they can't let go of pedestal rear spoilers and chrome wheels.
      09-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #1093
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Quote:
In person the shape is very aggressive where the rest is toned down to result in a muscular shape. The fake vents are truly blown out of proportion, yeah they are fake but you don't notice them unless you're looking for them. The nose is still fugly though and they should have made the mouth wider instead of matching the FT1
[QUOTE=super51fan;25216285]
Quote:

I would notice all of the fake vents Everytime I would walk to the car.

Z4 coupe photo for fun in there.
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #1094
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

New review + interview.

Appreciate 2
D22M21366.50
clee1982796.00
      09-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #1095
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Buddy of mine has owned it for a little while. Couple of things they didn't like at the shop...

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #1096
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Didn’t know the vents were fake. That’s cheesy especially in this day.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #1097
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
New review + interview.

@ 2.05 if this was built as a drivers car it would feature a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      09-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #1098
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowar135 View Post
@ 2.05 if this was built as a drivers car it would feature a manual transmission.
Thats some air tight logic there bud
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #1099
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Buddy of mine has owned it for a little while. Couple of things they didn't like at the shop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Its weird that they did this. They claim its so the aftermarket can remove them?
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      09-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #1100
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
My guess is future models will have them uncapped like the GT4 car. As for the door one, that piece is removable to allow easier wide body models (you only need to replace the door vent instead of the entire door to blend into the quarter panel) like the GR racing concept shown at geneva 2018
Appreciate 0