BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Best Ski Resorts In CO

08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Best Ski Resorts In CO

As the title states. I'm planning my once a year west coast snowboarding trip now and this season will be at CO. I've never been out there but I hear a lot of good stuff from friends. Planning on staying about 5-7 days.

Just to give you an idea last season I was at Whistler BC and Lake Tahoe a year before that.

I mostly do all mountain with couple of terrain park runs.
Here's some of the places I'm thinking about so please give me your input and suggestions
List going from best(top) to least favorite
- Vail
- Telluride (this is very far from all the other places)
- Snowmass/Aspen
- Breckenridge
- Copper
- Keystone

I also have a backup option of riding 2 days at Big Sky Montana and driving down for 2-3 days at Jackson Hole.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I can tell you from living in MT for many years that Big Sky is great because of the lack of crowds. Even on holiday weekends, the only place you'll likely find a line is for the tram. Jackson Hole is a paradise if you're and expert, tons of white open terrain. Most CO resorts get more crowded because of their proximity to Denver. If you do drive from Big Sky to Jackson, I'd do a day at Grand Targhee on the way if they have powder. They get more snow than almost anywhere.
Appreciate 2
R3dliner934.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Also if in MT, Bridger Bowl is a great local hill in Bozeman that is nearly empty on non holiday weekdays, unless there's a big dump.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      08-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I can tell you from living in MT for many years that Big Sky is great because of the lack of crowds. Even on holiday weekends, the only place you'll likely find a line is for the tram. Jackson Hole is a paradise if you're and expert, tons of white open terrain. Most CO resorts get more crowded because of their proximity to Denver. If you do drive from Big Sky to Jackson, I'd do a day at Grand Targhee on the way if they have powder. They get more snow than almost anywhere.
That's the reason I'm being thinking MT and WY due to less people. I'm avid snowboarder so diamonds are not a issue. Been boarding for about 10 years. I just hate moguls.

I've heard big ski is very small and not worth the trip.
Grand Targhee trail map looks promising. Thx for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Big Sky is huge! Have you seen the map? They have a huge amount of terrain.
Bridger is small, maybe that's what you're thinking of. Cool place though no high speed lifts. Very old school. Lots of terrain you can access with a short hike.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Colorado has some amazing mountains for skiing and snowboarding. I too have been to Whistler, Lake Tahoe (several ski resorts around that area), and take a ski trip to Colorado just about every year. Here's my opinion on your list:

Vail/Snowmass/Aspen - Once in a lifetime ski trip (for me) to these resorts. Snowmass/Aspen are really the same mountain, just two different resorts, however they are some of the highest priced ski resorts around. Not just in Colorado but pretty much anywhere in North America. Celebrities typically go to Vail/Aspen instead of other resorts, including A-list celebrities, so you'd better have your wallet ready. Pretty much everybody walks around the village in $1000+ ski gear, and that's when they're just chilling and not even on the slopes. The good news it that the same company that manages Whistler/Blackcomb also manages the Vail properties. So you can expect the properties and overall mountain to be similar to Whistler - a huge amount of skiiable terrain, wide trails, a wide variety of terrain (trees, open trails, bowls, steeps, etc.) and some of the best groomed runs you'll ever ski on. Most of their mountains have evenly divided difficulty (33% easy/medium/hard, around that range). You pretty much cannot beat how they cut and shape the mountains and the runs. They groom the runs every night and they're impeccable. But again, it's excessively expensive to visit these resorts. The resorts are also a good 3+ hour drive from Denver, unless you're willing to dish out even more cash and fly into Aspen's regional airport (like a boss).

Telluride - Never been out there. Damn far from Denver and no airports close by. Always heard good things about this place though. Probably lots of locals around.

Breckenridge/Copper/Keystone - Went to these three resorts in 2015 and 2016 and had an absolute blast. All three resorts are relatively close to Denver (1 1/2 to 2 hour drive) and the resorts are also close to each other. In 5-7 days you can visit all three of these parks, or just one or two if you'd like. I think Breckenridge (or maybe Loveland) and Keystone have some pass sharing thing so you can go one day to one resort and another day to another resort with the same pass. I've always stayed at Keystone as my home base and traveled to the other resorts from there.

Lastly, a few years ago I went to Crested Butte, CO and had an awesome time. If you're willing to drive a bit (like 5 hours from Denver), and are looking for real Expert terrain (REAL expert terrain, none of this East Coast crap...it's even expert by CO standards), check out Crested Butte. I nearly shit in my pants every single day I was there, and I can honestly say it was an absolute blast.

I guess long story short, you want to go to Keystone and hit up Breckenridge/Copper/Loveland/Keystone from there.

Last edited by catcher22; 08-24-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      08-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

If you are going to stay a week, I would just rent a place in Dillon or Frisco and ride Keystone, Breck, copper, loveland, vail, beaver, and a-basin. They are all different. If you need to narrow it down, I would do beaver, vail, keystone or beaver, vail, copper. I am not a breck fan.

It also depends on what type of rider you are. Do you typically stay on groomers? Do you like to hike? Do you want trees? Do you want more park? All the resorts are close to each other, but they are tailored for different things.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      08-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

I liked Beaver Creek over Vail but I got to see the Burton US Open @ Vail so that was awesome. My favorite is still Snowbird in Utah.
Appreciate 1
R3dliner934.50
      08-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Colorado has some amazing mountains for skiing and snowboarding. I too have been to Whistler, Lake Tahoe (several ski resorts around that area), and take a ski trip to Colorado just about every year. Here's my opinion on your list:

Vail/Snowmass/Aspen - Once in a lifetime ski trip (for me) to these resorts. Snowmass/Aspen are really the same mountain, just two different resorts, however they are some of the highest priced ski resorts around. Not just in Colorado but pretty much anywhere in North America. Celebrities typically go to Vail/Aspen instead of other resorts, including A-list celebrities, so you'd better have your wallet ready. Pretty much everybody walks around the village in $1000+ ski gear, and that's when they're just chilling and not even on the slopes. The good news it that the same company that manages Whistler/Blackcomb also manages the Vail properties. So you can expect the properties and overall mountain to be similar to Whistler - a huge amount of skiiable terrain, wide trails, a wide variety of terrain (trees, open trails, bowls, steeps, etc.) and some of the best groomed runs you'll ever ski on. Most of their mountains have evenly divided difficulty (33% easy/medium/hard, around that range). You pretty much cannot beat how they cut and shape the mountains and the runs. They groom the runs every night and they're impeccable. But again, it's excessively expensive to visit these resorts. The resorts are also a good 3+ hour drive from Denver, unless you're willing to dish out even more cash and fly into Aspen's regional airport (like a boss).

Telluride - Never been out there. Damn far from Denver and no airports close by. Always heard good things about this place though. Probably lots of locals around.

Breckenridge/Copper/Keystone - Went to these three resorts in 2015 and 2016 and had an absolute blast. All three resorts are relatively close to Denver (1 1/2 to 2 hour drive) and the resorts are also close to each other. In 5-7 days you can visit all three of these parks, or just one or two if you'd like. I think Breckenridge (or maybe Loveland) and Keystone have some pass sharing thing so you can go one day to one resort and another day to another resort with the same pass. I've always stayed at Keystone as my home base and traveled to the other resorts from there.

Lastly, a few years ago I went to Crested Butte, CO and had an awesome time. If you're willing to drive a bit (like 5 hours from Denver), and are looking for real Expert terrain (REAL expert terrain, none of this East Coast crap...it's even expert by CO standards), check out Crested Butte. I nearly shit in my pants every single day I was there, and I can honestly say it was an absolute blast.

I guess long story short, you want to go to Keystone and hit up Breckenridge/Copper/Loveland/Keystone from there.
Thanks for the suggestion. Crested Butte does look insane with lots of double diamonds(not great for snowboarding though). I bet there's a of moguls.

I might just skip Vail and do Breckenridge/Copper/Loveland/Keystone. Everyone that went to vail all said the same thing.

One thing I regret was not going to the mountains by Seattle like crystal mountain and stevens pass. I flew into Seattle and took the drive up to whistler.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
I liked Beaver Creek over Vail but I got to see the Burton US Open @ Vail so that was awesome. My favorite is still Snowbird in Utah.
going to do park city and snowbird next season hopefully. Def on my bucket list.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
My ranking is:
Telluride #1, almost never crowded, great variety of skiing, great food,
best "original" town, everything is relatively new.
Steamboat#2
Copper Mountain #3
Appreciate 2
R3dliner934.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Personally, Vail is one of my favorite resorts as it has so much terrain which can be handy to escape the crowds if it is a busy day. That said, I like riding natural terrain such as powder, glades, bumps, etc, and seek it out at any resort I go to. Breck also has plenty of this type of terrain if you know where to look.

As someone mentioned, Vail Resorts owns Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Keystone. This means you can get one lift ticket allowing access to each of these resorts. A-Basin, while not owned by Vail, is also included on the ticket.
      08-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post

As someone mentioned, Vail Resorts owns Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Keystone. This means you can get one lift ticket allowing access to each of these resorts. A-Basin, while not owned by Vail, is also included on the ticket.
Wow good to know. Hmm vail or not to vail. It's been on my bucketlist and I know if I don't go there I'll regret it.

I love powder and glade runs and a nice terrain park.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Wow good to know. Hmm vail or not to vail. It's been on my bucketlist and I know if I don't go there I'll regret it.

I love powder and glade runs and a nice terrain park.
I am not a big vail fan, unless there is fresh snow on the backside. But I would recommend visiting vail for at least half a day just to experience it.

You could get to vail at opening, I think it's 8:30am, and ski until about noon or 1pm (make sure to go to the back side). Then drive to keystone, ski the back side before it closes at 3:30pm. Then ski down to the base, get a few drinks, and go back up for night skiing on the front side. Keystone front side stays open until 8pm I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Crested Butte does look insane with lots of double diamonds(not great for snowboarding though). I bet there's a of moguls.

I might just skip Vail and do Breckenridge/Copper/Loveland/Keystone. Everyone that went to vail all said the same thing.

One thing I regret was not going to the mountains by Seattle like crystal mountain and stevens pass. I flew into Seattle and took the drive up to whistler.
I've only been to Loveland out of those, but I will say that it was just decent to me. Kinda small, no high speed lifts, and no terrain park, but it wasn't crowded so that was nice. Also, IDK if they still do it, but they had a deal a couple years ago where you could buy a 4 day pass (that could be split into 4 single day passes) for like $130 if you bought it before Thanksgiving, crazy cheap!

EDIT: Looks like they've gone up to $160 now, but still a really good deal!
http://skiloveland.com/4-pak/
      08-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Personally, Vail is one of my favorite resorts as it has so much terrain which can be handy to escape the crowds if it is a busy day. That said, I like riding natural terrain such as powder, glades, bumps, etc, and seek it out at any resort I go to. Breck also has plenty of this type of terrain if you know where to look.

This ^^^

I've been to many but if you go to Vail (one of my favs)... go right to the back bowls and blue sky basin which will take you a good hr to get to ( by ski/ boarding). You can stay back there for hours and not do the same run. After that, get your ass back to Vail village and find one of many bars with live music for apres ski without any driving, much like whistler village. Yeah they have the BS Gucci shops but there are places alittle more down to earth and alive. If you must go elsewhere, drive back 20 minutes to Breck and take on its high peaks for a day. Again, Breckinridge (the town that is) has plenty of after ski life.

The other ones are fun as well but I always look for the whole deal so you don't feel like your in a car all the time. These kinds of trips you don't want time-suck traveling to get in the way since most resorts are similar and all on your list will be fun boarding. It's the extras that you need to decide on!

GL. Sounds fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I've just become a fan of Steamboat as of last year. A little out of the way (not like Telluride) so can be less crowded when not around holidays. Great mountain and the town is awesome. Very reasonable food prices unlike so many of the normal places where it cost $38 for a pizza.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them.