Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Quick review on my service loaner 2022 430i GC

09-07-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Galex999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e Alpine White

Quick review on my service loaner 2022 430i GC

My 2023 330e is in service for few days to fix the check engine light and I’ve being driving 2022 430i Grand Coupe loaner for few days.

The 430i GC has regular non-adaptive suspension (no M Sport package) with RW drive. It has less than 5k miles and looks brand new.

• I was bit surprised how the car feels “loose” compared to my 330e. It has so much more body flex/roll even during low speed turn and I can hear lots of squeaks whenever driving over speed bumps.

• Compared to my 330e with M adaptive suspensions that offers several distinctive driving modes (Xtraboost, Sport, Hybrid, EV-only), this 430i feels plain and lack of characters.

• Even in Sport mode, 430i only tighten up the steering wheel slightly with bit quicker pedal response, with zero change to engine power or suspension firmness. This kind of “Sport” mode is available even on a $25k Civic or Corolla. In my 330e, Sport mode completely changes how the car drives & sound by instantly increasing hp/torque with firmed up suspensions.

• Absolutely hate the “flush” door handles. It swing out/up as you pull it, so your finger tips (only part that can go under the handle) are forced to grab it harder than necessary every time you use it. Not an ideal handle design on heavy car door. At least it’s better than power “pop-out” handles. During emergency situation when you must forcefully open a mangled door to save an injured person inside, good luck with hard pulling on these fancy “flush” handles. And those power pop-up handles are likely not even functional after severe car accident. Realistically how much these flush handles saves fuel over the entire span of car? In my opinion, zero.

I’m sure 430i GC costs more than 330e. Beside offering bigger cargo space with hatchback-like trunk practicality (I know since I owned 2015 428i GC), I see no real reason to buy 430i GC over 330e. GC doesn’t even look better than 3-series sedan IMO, and it still has that ugly grill that never grows on me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-07-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex999 View Post
My 2023 330e is in service for few days to fix the check engine light and I’ve being driving 2022 430i Grand Coupe loaner for few days.

The 430i GC has regular non-adaptive suspension (no M Sport package) with RW drive. It has less than 5k miles and looks brand new.

• I was bit surprised how the car feels “loose” compared to my 330e. It has so much more body flex/roll even during low speed turn and I can hear lots of squeaks whenever driving over speed bumps.

• Compared to my 330e with M adaptive suspensions that offers several distinctive driving modes (Xtraboost, Sport, Hybrid, EV-only), this 430i feels plain and lack of characters.

• Even in Sport mode, 430i only tighten up the steering wheel slightly with bit quicker pedal response, with zero change to engine power or suspension firmness. This kind of “Sport” mode is available even on a $25k Civic or Corolla. In my 330e, Sport mode completely changes how the car drives & sound by instantly increasing hp/torque with firmed up suspensions.

• Absolutely hate the “flush” door handles. It swing out/up as you pull it, so your finger tips (only part that can go under the handle) are forced to grab it harder than necessary every time you use it. Not an ideal handle design on heavy car door. At least it’s better than power “pop-out” handles. During emergency situation when you must forcefully open a mangled door to save an injured person inside, good luck with hard pulling on these fancy “flush” handles. And those power pop-up handles are likely not even functional after severe car accident. Realistically how much these flush handles saves fuel over the entire span of car? In my opinion, zero.

I’m sure 430i GC costs more than 330e. Beside offering bigger cargo space with hatchback-like trunk practicality (I know since I owned 2015 428i GC), I see no real reason to buy 430i GC over 330e. GC doesn’t even look better than 3-series sedan IMO, and it still has that ugly grill that never grows on me.
How a BMW handles and feels has everything to do with how you option it. A base 330e would feel just a lousy to you, I suspect.

But, I agree with you about the door handle design. I am not a fan, but presumably it’s an aerodynamics thing-especially for the GC’s twin i4..

The grille issue has been beaten to death. I don’t love it, but the GC replaces the practicality of an SUV, which I need with my family and pets, while holding onto to some sporty sedan feel.

Nonetheless, it’s always reassuring to get back into your own car and love it more than ever. Enjoy!
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:25 PM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
I've owned 3 Gran Coupes and never had a check engine light. That 330e sure sounds like a piece of junk. The 430i works. That's a pretty important distinction.

Quote:
So you're giving us your thoughts on a stripped loaner. I think I can speak for everyone here when I tell you that no stripped BMW being tossed around as a loaner is worthy of discussing. It's a bottom-feeder. By design of course. Far from an enthusiasts car. It's a tool.

Quote:
• I was bit surprised how the car feels “loose” compared to my 330e. It has so much more body flex/roll even during low speed turn
Because it's a stripped loaner. Driven too hard. On a base suspension.

Quote:
and I can hear lots of squeaks whenever driving over speed bumps.

Quote:
No shit. You don't say. A stripped loaner with a base suspension can't compete with your well-optioned privately owned example with the Adaptive M Suspension. Shocker.

Quote:

Quote:
• Absolutely hate the “flush” door handles. Realistically how much these flush handles saves fuel over the entire span of car? In my opinion, zero.
The flush handles look cool. That's all they need to do. The 4GC is a cool Coupe. Coupes aren't practical. They are impractical. That's why we buy them.

Quote:
Beside offering bigger cargo space with hatchback-like trunk practicality (I know since I owned 2015 428i GC), I see no real reason to buy 430i GC over 330e.
The real reason is because the 4 Series is a Coupe and the 3 Series is a Sedan. From a design perspective, one is an exciting step forward, the other plays it safe. 4 is a sportscar. The 3 is a family car.

Quote:
GC doesn’t even look better than 3-series sedan IMO, and it still has that ugly grill that never grows on me.
4GC looks like a Sports Coupe and the 3 Series looks like a Family Sedan and it's a matter of which form factor you prefer.

Quote:
and it still has that ugly grill that never grows on me.
The grill is bold and different which is exactly why the 4GC exists. It's for a consumer with advanced tastes who has outgrown the 3 Series that everyone else owns. The M Sport grill with the shadowline package is how all G26's should have shipped. Probably will be corrected with the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #4
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

I bet if you were to test drive an M440i GC, you'd change your tune. The car your driving has probably been used and abused. A loaded 4 GC is super luxurious and very solid.
toddwalton1331.50
      09-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
Galex999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I've owned 3 Gran Coupes and never had a check engine light. That 330e sure sounds like a piece of junk. The 430i works. That's a pretty important distinction.

So you're giving us your thoughts on a stripped loaner. I think I can speak for everyone here when I tell you that no stripped BMW being tossed around as a loaner is worthy of discussing. It's a bottom-feeder. By design of course. Far from an enthusiasts car. It's a tool.

No shit. You don't say. A stripped loaner with a base suspension can't compete with your well-optioned privately owned example with the Adaptive M Suspension. Shocker.

The flush handles look cool. That's all they need to do. The 4GC is a cool Coupe. Coupes aren't practical. They are impractical. That's why we buy them.

The real reason is because the 4 Series is a Coupe and the 3 Series is a Sedan. From a design perspective, one is an exciting step forward, the other plays it safe. 4 is a sportscar. The 3 is a family car.

4GC looks like a Sports Coupe and the 3 Series looks like a Family Sedan and it's a matter of which form factor you prefer.

The grill is bold and different which is exactly why the 4GC exists. It's for a consumer with advanced tastes who has outgrown the 3 Series that everyone else owns. The M Sport grill with the shadowline package is how all G26's should have shipped. Probably will be corrected with the LCI.

Relax. I wasn’t trying to do direct comparison between 330e vs. 430i. I just shared my honest thought on driving 430i GC for few days (not a quick test drive around blocks) from a 330e owner point of view, and I do understand it’s a loaner car.

However it’s relatively well optioned 430i GC (Premium, HK stereo, driving assistant pkg, leather and etc) while my 330e only has few basic options (M-sport, M adaptive suspension and shadow) with less than $50k MSRP. I bet this 430i is more expensive than my 330e, even before the ~$7k federal/state tax refund I already got on my car.

I really like GC for its awesome practicality. As I mentioned, I owned 2015 428i GC which I really liked, especially able to easily load my bike in the trunk. If BMW offered PHEV version of GC (430e GC, I guess) for 2023, I would gotten it over 330e for sure and I would overlook the grill & handle design.

GC’s frameless windows certainly look cool, but they significantly weakens the car’s overall rigidity as its 4 doors don’t do anything to support the roof & upper body. I also noticed this in my 2015 GC but far more so on this 2022 GC model. Maybe this is why this GC feels so loose with so much squeaks. It’s a clear compromise form over function.

I understand this GC is a loaner that has been used & maybe abused by many different drivers. However it has only ~4,800miles and still not gotten its 1st engine oil change. If this car feels like a crap with lots of squeaks just because it has been used by many, I think it’s a bad news for “ALL” BMW owners as the quality is not as good as it used to be. I’m telling you, this car with less than 5k miles feels like it has over 50k miles on it. Again, this is not 430i specific issue but applies to all BMW models.

I guess the difference in engine (PHEV vs. plain ICE) and suspension (M-adaptive vs. standard) setup are the key factors for how two very similar level cars feel so different. I’m sure 440i GC will drive so much better but at ~$65k price.

For those who are still debating between regular suspension vs. M-adaptive, just get the M-adaptive. It’s a night and day difference. You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Relax. I wasn’t trying to do direct comparison between 330e vs. 430i. I just shared my honest thought on driving 430i GC for few days (not a quick test drive around blocks) from a 330e owner point of view, and I do understand it’s a loaner car.

However it’s relatively well optioned 430i GC (Premium, HK stereo, driving assistant pkg, leather and etc) while my 330e only has few basic options (M-sport, M adaptive suspension and shadow) with less than $50k MSRP. I bet this 430i is more expensive than my 330e, even before the ~$7k federal/state tax refund I already got on my car.

I really like GC for its awesome practicality. As I mentioned, I owned 2015 428i GC which I really liked, especially able to easily load my bike in the trunk. If BMW offered PHEV version of GC (430e GC, I guess) for 2023, I would gotten it over 330e for sure and I would overlook the grill & handle design.

GC’s frameless windows certainly look cool, but they significantly weakens the car’s overall rigidity as its 4 doors don’t do anything to support the roof & upper body. I also noticed this in my 2015 GC but far more so on this 2022 GC model. Maybe this is why this GC feels so loose with so much squeaks. It’s a clear compromise form over function.

I understand this GC is a loaner that has been used & maybe abused by many different drivers. However it has only ~4,800miles and still not gotten its 1st engine oil change. If this car feels like a crap with lots of squeaks just because it has been used by many, I think it’s a bad news for “ALL” BMW owners as the quality is not as good as it used to be. I’m telling you, this car with less than 5k miles feels like it has over 50k miles on it. Again, this is not 430i specific issue but applies to all BMW models.

I guess the difference in engine (PHEV vs. plain ICE) and suspension (M-adaptive vs. standard) setup are the key factors for how two very similar level cars feel so different. I’m sure 440i GC will drive so much better but at ~$65k price.

For those who are still debating between regular suspension vs. M-adaptive, just get the M-adaptive. It’s a night and day difference. You won't regret it.
Absolutely. M Suspension or Adaptive suspension make the biggest difference versus regular suspension between BMW as mid-range luxury car or sporty car. Also, the 440s get wider rear tires, which also help with stability.

But I’ll bet a 430 with proper suspension would be a big improvement over what you drove. And just a note, after 18 months, not one squeak in my car (knock wood).
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Absolutely. M Suspension or Adaptive suspension make the biggest difference versus regular suspension between BMW as mid-range luxury car or sporty car. Also, the 440s get wider rear tires, which also help with stability.

But I’ll bet a 430 with proper suspension would be a big improvement over what you drove. And just a note, after 18 months, not one squeak in my car (knock wood).

430’s get wider rear tires too. Not that the fronts are a slouch.
Appreciate 0