E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Plug & Play Subwoofer

03-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Plug & Play Subwoofer

Is there any good plug&play subwoofer with / without amp out there for reasonable price that I can add to my E92 M3 iDrive Pro CIC (old sat nav) with business audio (has tweeter in the pillars) and tweeters at the back?

Had the base system in my old 335i and this is definitely an improvement and clarity. But want more bass.

I was going to swap everything over like the door speaker, under seat sub etc but don't want to spend too much but I won't be keeping this car forever, so don't want to mess around too much with this car set up.

So i was thinking of adding a plug and play in the boot? Easier and cheaper for a bit more bass?
      03-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Check as you may a centre speaker and L7 sound system.
If not then its hi-fi.
Re: Sub depend on how much sound improvement are you looking?
      03-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I have the hi-fi / business system now.

Don't have huge money / time or willing to hack the car up.
So I just want to add a bit more bass, I don't mind the sound quality at the moment too much. I'm okay with it.

Its not the best of the best now, but with the road noise and my modded exhaust and stuff, it will never sound as huge as my home sound system.

Just want a bit more thump.
      03-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

Id like to know the same I have an L7 I think. A sub under each seat, Id like to just replace the sub at this moment. Something thatll drop right in
      04-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
I have the hi-fi / business system now.

Don't have huge money / time or willing to hack the car up.
So I just want to add a bit more bass, I don't mind the sound quality at the moment too much. I'm okay with it.

Its not the best of the best now, but with the road noise and my modded exhaust and stuff, it will never sound as huge as my home sound system.

Just want a bit more thump.
You know where is your hi-fi amp sitting. IF you are good with DIY, then tap the wires going into the amp ---> LOC and signal sensing ---> Amp / sub.

If you are not that good, contact technic in states and buy plug and play harness for sub.

If you go for differential balanced ---> non-balanced LOC converter, then you can add any amp ---> sub. Otherwise you will have to buy amp which support differential balanced input (such as JL amps).

HTH.
      04-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
Id like to know the same I have an L7 I think. A sub under each seat, Id like to just replace the sub at this moment. Something thatll drop right in
You can replace your OEM underseats with these;
1- Gladen underseats
2- Ground zero underseats
3- MB quarts underseats

All of them can take approx 70W of input (L7 amp output for underseats).
HTH.
      04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I've done some installs before, like 6-7 years ago on my polo / lupo! But that was so simple. Really don't want to wreck my M3 which um costs a lot more in comparison.

Also I want it to be OEM / reversible, cause like as mentioned, I won't be keeping it forever.

Anyway, if I went with the technic harness thing, can I use it with any sub/amp? I don't really know what the differential balance thing is. :/ Out of my league already?! Hahaa, also I really don't trust the audio guys down here.
      04-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
I've done some installs before, like 6-7 years ago on my polo / lupo! But that was so simple. Really don't want to wreck my M3 which um costs a lot more in comparison.

Also I want it to be OEM / reversible, cause like as mentioned, I won't be keeping it forever.

Anyway, if I went with the technic harness thing, can I use it with any sub/amp? I don't really know what the differential balance thing is. :/ Out of my league already?! Hahaa, also I really don't trust the audio guys down here.
Yes, Tell him that you have hi-fi sound system (make sure you don't have L7 otherwise things are different) and you want plug and play stuff to have RCA out (with auto sensing amp remote out) for hi-fi system where LOC convert the signals to unbalanced signals.