Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes M-Performance Brake Install on G20 330i. Highway Robbery

06-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

M-Performance Brake Install on G20 330i. Highway Robbery

I recently reached out to the parts department at my local dealer to inquire on the cost of M-Perf brakes and the guy got back to me at a cost of about $2400 in parts. Not too hateful I thought, considering Brembo BBK are 1k more than that.

I then inquired further on the labor and the service department quoted me $2500 to install!

I’ve seen the install manual for the F series cars and it calls for 3.5(ish) hours of labor plus the coding necessary. What am I missing here? Do they just assume I’m a naive rich person with money to burn? $2500 seems outrageous to retrofit brakes.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
MPSdriver
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

I think they accidentally added one zero too much
I paid about 2k for the M-performance brakes on my F30 and another 250 for the install (in euros). It was an official BMW dealership.
That said, the dealership I normally go to (for maintenance) quoted me over 4k
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

What else does one expect from stealerships? I’d buy the parts and get it installed from a FNG outside. Or maybe one of the other mechanics at the dealership also wanted a set and thought he could make you foot the bill for his set? $2500 for labor is insane.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:28 AM   #4
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Ever so slightly off topic: Did you have the blue M-Sport brakes from the factory?

I've seen a handful of European based BMW parts stores with the following caveat:

Quote:
Fits for the following BMW models:

3 G20 sedan
3 G21 touring
not suitable for EfficientDynamics cars !!!
only suitable for cars with M sport brake (02NH) blue from factory !!!
only suitable for cars with recuperation system (01CE) from factory !!!
I'd love to get the M-Power retrofit for my 330i but it wasn't specced with the blue brakes.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Ever so slightly off topic: Did you have the blue M-Sport brakes from the factory?

I've seen a handful of European based BMW parts stores with the following caveat:

I'd love to get the M-Power retrofit for my 330i but it wasn't specced with the blue brakes.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I did not have the M-sport brakes but my 330 is an M-Sport package. I just didn’t opt for the track handling add on. The 19 inch wheels definitely make the retro fit possible. Not sure if the M Performance brakes work with the smaller wheel size or not. Regardless, I determined that the look of the big calipers isn’t worth the cost of maintenance down the road. Looks like brake service would be roughly 3x the cost for parts. I don’t track the car so I came to senses. Sigh
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:44 AM   #6
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
I did not have the M-sport brakes but my 330 is an M-Sport package. I just didn’t opt for the track handling add on. The 19 inch wheels definitely make the retro fit possible. Not sure if the M Performance brakes work with the smaller wheel size or not. Regardless, I determined that the look of the big calipers isn’t worth the cost of maintenance down the road. Looks like brake service would be roughly 3x the cost for parts. I don’t track the car so I came to senses. Sigh
Yeah... that's the part that's in the back of my head. I guess there's no real aftermarket option is there?

Is there a retrofit out there for the blue calipers? Or would that not be worth the hassle?
Appreciate 0