Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Installing Aftermarket CF Rear Spoiler (My Experience)

07-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Post Installing Aftermarket CF Rear Spoiler (My Experience)

Hello hello again,

Thought I would drop by and let everyone know about my experience with installing a rear CF Rear Spoiler.

I purchased the carbon fiber rear spoiler from AACONCEPTSCO for $220.00 + Paypals fee of roughly $5.00. Couldn't order directly off of the site due to some weird issue but really no big deal. You just need to contact them via email or send them a DM on Instagram. I chose the IG route. AACONCEPTSCO was pretty responsive with the order and shipped it out within 3 days of me paying through Paypal. The tracking number they sent took forever to update as it was through USPS and it was being shipped out of SoCal. I got worried for a bit and thought I was being scammed but nope, it was just the terrible USPS service again. About a week and a half later the package arrived at the door. They shipped it in some bubble wrap taped down to a cardboard trim piece inside of the box.

Once I got it out of the box it was in pretty good condition, maybe one or two light scratches but I did notice that the right side of the spoiler was a little bit rougher when you rubbed your hand across it. I fixed this up by using Adam's scratch and swirl remover later on.

The next step was removing the existing rear spoiler and that was a pain in the ass. I went ahead and used a hair dryer to heat up the OEM glue from under the existing rear spoiler and used dental floss to cut the glue. I ended up going through roughly 3 yards of it total. Anyways, I thought this part was hard when I was removing the spoiler but oh did I have a surprise coming removing the left over glue from trunk.

Removing the left over glue from the trunk was such a pain in the ass and probably took 2-3 hours in total. I tried almost everything you see and read here on the forms. The thumb and finger method did not work well at all. I think this was due to the car being practically brand new with roughly 1,000 miles on it now and the glue was sticking like it was just put on yesterday. I tried soaking the glue with 70% aqueous solution of isopropyl alcohol and all it did was make it sticky and then eventually dried up. Later on my friend ended up finding a random thread that talked about using WD-40 and letting it soak for a couple minutes and come back and gently scrape it off with a credit card. I was skeptical at first but at this point I was giving up. The WD-40 with the credit card actually worked. We went a little too hard with the credit card and ended up scratching the clear coat a little bit under the hidden piece of the spoiler and light scratches occurred every where else. All of the scratches came out except for the deeper ones that are hidden by the spoiler by using some of that good old Adam's scratch and swirl remover (this stuff is godly).

Anyways, it was a giant pain in the ass but then I applied some 3M tape to the new spoiler and did the fold method using some painters tape, this can be found in multiple Kiesmotorsports videos online. After getting the spoiler on and sitting as flush as possible I did notice that both right and left ends stuck up a little more than I would have liked and left a bad reveal. I ended up stuffing some more 3M tape underneath it in a double layer and pushed it in with some tweezers.

After the install and getting it just right I would say the fitment is a 9/10. I highly recommend anyone who is trying this for their first time to watch a tone of videos and maybe try the 3M adhesive wheel remover. If that doesn't work then go to the WD-40 method.

Shown below is a link to where I purchased the products described above. Also, I attached some close up photos of the results. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

AA CONCEPTS CO - G20 M340i CS Style Carbon Fiber Trunk Lip: https://aaconceptsco.com/collections...iber-trunk-lip

Adam’s Car Scratch & Swirl Remover Hand Correction System: https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Correct...s%2C217&sr=8-4
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
EXE462100.00
      07-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

It really looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Nice write up
      07-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
The process to remove the leftover glue is unbelievably tedious...I had a similar experience installing my spoiler. 2-3 hours. Insane.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Looks outstanding nicely done and great write-up.

I can relate to your comments regarding the left over adhesive - when removing/installing mine I tried all my "go to" methods that I have used over the years for adhesive removal (heat, goo-gone, rubbing with fingers etc...) and my gosh that stuff was tough (as you shared). That said I gave in and bought one of these - and WOW 5 mins and the stuff was gone. I highly recommend people add one of these to their tool box- I only wish I had this 25 years ago it would have saved me countless blisters and hours over the years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Cabby339.50
VipinLJ1941.50
      07-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1999 View Post
The process to remove the leftover glue is unbelievably tedious...I had a similar experience installing my spoiler. 2-3 hours. Insane.
I replaced my front lip - almost 10 hours.... that stuff is the worst
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Looks outstanding nicely done and great write-up.

I can relate to your comments regarding the left over adhesive - when removing/installing mine I tried all my "go to" methods that I have used over the years for adhesive removal (heat, goo-gone, rubbing with fingers etc...) and my gosh that stuff was tough (as you shared). That said I gave in and bought one of these - and WOW 5 mins and the stuff was gone. I highly recommend people add one of these to their tool box- I only wish I had this 25 years ago it would have saved me countless blisters and hours over the years.
Wow I wish I had seen this yesterday! My hands will never be the same, but I do thank you my friend, I will be picking one of these up immediately!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Wow I wish I had seen this yesterday! My hands will never be the same, but I do thank you my friend, I will be picking one of these up immediately!
I know I know - trust me when you first use it you will simply be giddy with how well it works and very angry you didn't have one sooner
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I know I know - trust me when you first use it you will simply be giddy with how well it works and very angry you didn't have one sooner
What do you use it with? A drill?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
yes I just used my cordless makita
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      07-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #11
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

3M makes a whole list of wheels for various purposes. The beauty is that 3M is totally reputable. I used a rust removal wheel on something it made absolutely short order of the problem. I bought mine from Amazon, where else.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I watched some YouTube testing videos, this thing works, it's a miracle!

I actually couldnt find it on Amazon, but they sell it online at Walmart, nice and cheap, ordered!!
Appreciate 1