Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Everyday driving with BMW high perf non run-flat?

07-15-2020, 12:13 AM   #1
b1mmer3o
Rep
Drives: 328i

Everyday driving with BMW high perf non run-flat?

I want to lease a M340i but it comes with 19"" high performance non run-flat tires (as well as "Cooling & High Performance Tire Package"). According to BMW site it's for "thrill-seeker" and "sportier rides", but I'd expect myself mostly doing all-seaon everyday drive. I wonder that:
  • How comfortable and safe is it compared to all-seaon and run-flat tires?

Any weather and road constraints?

Would I need to switch to all-seaon/run-flat tires for all-rounder driving?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by b1mmer3o; 07-15-2020 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmer3o View Post
I want to lease a M340i but it comes with 19"" high performance non run-flat tires. According to BMW site it's for "thrill-seeker" and "sportier rides", but I'd expect myself mostly doing all-seaon everyday drive. I wonder that:
  • How comfortable and safe is it compared to all-seaon and run-flat tires?

Any weather and road constraints?

Would I need to switch to all-seaon/run-flat tires for all-rounder driving?

Thanks guys!
Here in the UK we would love the option to have non run flat tyres. Removing them is one of the first 'mods' to be done.

In my opinion although runcraps have come on in terms of performance and comfort over the last few years, they don't have a patch over say the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in terms of overall performance and comfort.

Runflats don't offer better performance in say rain, snow or cold weather over a non run flat tyre. If that's your concern you should swap to a specific winter tyre for the winter season.

I wouldn't worry about it having non run flat tyres. Just make sure it has the BMW mobility kit (compressor and tyre glue stuff).

I've had non run flat tyres for the past 5 years and touch wood never had an issue.
      07-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
b1mmer3o
Rep
Drives: 328i

Thanks. It does come with the mobility kit, and also "Cooling & High Performance Tire Package". Per some other posts on that package (https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1606155) the only concern would be: "the front radiator that gets installed is in a pretty vulnerable area under the car".
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmer3o View Post
Thanks. It does come with the mobility kit, and also "Cooling & High Performance Tire Package". Per some other posts on that package (https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1606155) the only concern would be: "the front radiator that gets installed is in a pretty vulnerable area under the car".
They make screens that are pretty simple to install under the vehicle that would protect the additional radiator from potential road debris etc.

Check out some pics on the M3 forums for examples
Appreciate 0