Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Newbie questions

07-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
fls
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive Touring

Newbie questions

Hi All, newbie to the forum here, ordered a G21 last weekend and had a couple of questions if that's OK?

I've seen a lot of discussions about order times etc. and wondered if there was any recent UK experience given the earlier lockdown, and now some factories entering a sumer shutdown. My order has a status, since yesterday, is 1200 ('scheduled for production', itself an improvement over the '0077 - no quota available' on Tuesday), with projected build week of 28/09. Early days but does anyone know if that's likely to change much? I don't know exactly where it's being built.

Also, I read somewhere recently, can't remember where unfortunately, that with ID7 if you pair an iPhone via CarPlay then you can't have a second phone paired. I do this at the moment on my F31 with personal and work phones. Has anyone experienced this? (Tried searching but didn't see anything.)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

welcome!
- you should have an order number? - you can enquire from your dealer or online chat about your delivery date to see if it changes
- when you're in production you can get a VIN number - that will code where your factory is.
- expect 3-4 weeks after build for transport and prep if built in Munich
      07-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
fls
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks!

I have an order number so I've been able to check the status with genius chat. I just hope that if the date changes it doesn't slip too much. Then again, having now placed the order I don't want to wait at all
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
Jgr1249
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Hi - I’ve a 330e in order since February due 1 September....lockdown left me thinking November at best - it will be here 1 September!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
fls
United Kingdom
Rep

February, wow, fingers crossed for the 1st September!

When I went in last Saturday the dealer was telling me to expect delivery towards the end of November, so a potential build date at the end of September is promising.

The genius chat guy also told me that delivery is currently estimated for w/c 19/10, so given the time difference that would imply Munich/Bavaria for location. TBH I'm not sure where 3s are generally made, do they make them at Dingolfing too? My current one (F31) was Munich I think (DIN code A).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fls View Post
Hi All, newbie to the forum here, ordered a G21 last weekend and had a couple of questions if that's OK?

I've seen a lot of discussions about order times etc. and wondered if there was any recent UK experience given the earlier lockdown, and now some factories entering a sumer shutdown. My order has a status, since yesterday, is 1200 ('scheduled for production', itself an improvement over the '0077 - no quota available' on Tuesday), with projected build week of 28/09. Early days but does anyone know if that's likely to change much? I don't know exactly where it's being built.

Also, I read somewhere recently, can't remember where unfortunately, that with ID7 if you pair an iPhone via CarPlay then you can't have a second phone paired. I do this at the moment on my F31 with personal and work phones. Has anyone experienced this? (Tried searching but didn't see anything.)

Thanks!
Goodness you're lucky.

I ordered a 330i at the beginning of March and annoyingly just been allocated a VIN number just before August shutdown.

Been informed that it will be a MY2020 model despite only being manufactured early September as all components are set aside at time of VIN allocation.

I believe MY2021 is due to start after the shutdown according to BMW Park Lane.
      07-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
fuzzmondo
powered by electrons
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3 M Sport Pro

Hi fls and welcome!

To your second question regarding phones and pairing, I have two iPhones (one work and one personal) and both of mine are paired with CarPlay. Only one will be active with CarPlay but both are paired and work in the car, with my preference set for the personal one.

I have actually chosen to use CarPlay with the personal one mainly for podcast music, and normal iDrive pairing for the work one. Seems to work best for me.

Fuzzmondo
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgr1249 View Post
Hi - I’ve a 330e in order since February due 1 September....lockdown left me thinking November at best - it will be here 1 September!
My 330e MSport was ordered 26th November and delivered 17th July (delayed from early June due to lockdown). Feb to Sept sounds about right! But worth the wait!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #9
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Ordered my G21 340d mid Feb. Had build date mid April with delivery May. Rescheduled and built beginning of July. Vehicle is currently in UK mainland with delivery to dealer by 12 August.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
fls
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodc271 View Post
Goodness you're lucky.

I ordered a 330i at the beginning of March and annoyingly just been allocated a VIN number just before August shutdown.

Been informed that it will be a MY2020 model despite only being manufactured early September as all components are set aside at time of VIN allocation.

Oh that is unlucky. I wonder if there's likely to be any significant changes for MY2021 though with the G20/21 being still quite new.

My order status is just at 1200 so I know the actual build date may well slip, I'm just hoping not by much if it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmondo View Post
Hi fls and welcome!

To your second question regarding phones and pairing, I have two iPhones (one work and one personal) and both of mine are paired with CarPlay. Only one will be active with CarPlay but both are paired and work in the car, with my preference set for the personal one.

I have actually chosen to use CarPlay with the personal one mainly for podcast music, and normal iDrive pairing for the work one. Seems to work best for me.

Fuzzmondo
Thank you Fuzzmondo!

That's what I was hoping to hear as I currently do exactly the same (personal phone on CarPlay and work phone in iDrive), and for pretty much the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #11
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fls View Post
Quote:
Goodness you're lucky.

Oh that is unlucky. I wonder if there's likely to be any significant changes for MY2021 though with the G20/21 being still quite new.
BMW UK say as far as they know there are no changes at all. Possible slight software changes, but that would correct itself over time.

Just not sure what resale implications of having an older model year vs newer one? Reg would obviously both be 70 plates.
      07-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
BMW UK say as far as they know there are no changes at all. Possible slight software changes, but that would correct itself over time.

Just not sure what resale implications of having an older model year vs newer one? Reg would obviously both be 70 plates.
I think the main change is the ability to unlock the car with your iPhone. Cars built before July are not capable - seems it might be a hardware change in the door handles.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:46 AM   #13
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
I think the main change is the ability to unlock the car with your iPhone. Cars built before July are not capable - seems it might be a hardware change in the door handles.
Not sure this is the case. Mine is a June build and unlocks (and locks) from my phone via the BMW app. Or is 2021 version unlocking without the app needed?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:15 AM   #14
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Not sure this is the case. Mine is a June build and unlocks (and locks) from my phone via the BMW app. Or is 2021 version unlocking without the app needed?
That'll be with a Samsung if your using the phone only. July 2020's enable iPhone's themselves to unlock rather than the app
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #15
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Different thing This isn't unlocking via the app, it's like an alternative to the Keyfob or digital key. You can unlock the car by bringing the phone close to the door handle and then start the engine with the phone on the charging tray. I think you can also send a key to other peoples iphones.

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html
Appreciate 0