Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Behold iDrive 07.2020.30 - 330e

08-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

Behold iDrive 07.2020.30 - 330e

So, been into the dealership this week and asked for the latest (plug in not OTA) iDrive update. Was put on 07.2020.30.

Have seen a few asking about Android Auto but I don’t need/want that as use Car Play, but it appears to be there. Also the personal assistant seems to be different graphics, think the voice spoke ever so slightly differently too or I’ve just missed her and forgotten her soothing voice!

Can’t see too much else new on the face of it, anyone know anything else it should be able to do?

Some of the displays look ever so slightly different but hardly anything in it, or it’s my imagination.

Was hoping the full in-car Alexa integration might have popped on but hardly surprised it hasn’t, even after updating apps and services still nothing.

The e-Drive and auto windows should pop on regardless of your iDrive version (I think), just update all apps and services.

Am I missing anything I ought to try/find/look for!?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

That automatic window is new isn’t it. Wouldn’t have much us myself but quite cool. Maps have meant to have had a major overhaul?

Have you got driving assistant pro? Interested to know if auto lane change is available - i think it only works on certain roads such as motorways. When driving with it enabled, you can change lanes just by using the indicator. I think there will be an option in iDrive to enable or disable it if it’s there.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
So, been into the dealership this week and asked for the latest (plug in not OTA) iDrive update. Was put on 07.2020.30.

Have seen a few asking about Android Auto but I don’t need/want that as use Car Play, but it appears to be there. Also the personal assistant seems to be different graphics, think the voice spoke ever so slightly differently too or I’ve just missed her and forgotten her soothing voice!

Can’t see too much else new on the face of it, anyone know anything else it should be able to do?

Some of the displays look ever so slightly different but hardly anything in it, or it’s my imagination.

Was hoping the full in-car Alexa integration might have popped on but hardly surprised it hasn’t, even after updating apps and services still nothing.

The e-Drive and auto windows should pop on regardless of your iDrive version (I think), just update all apps and services.

Am I missing anything I ought to try/find/look for!?
You should now have activate rear DRL and if you have it steering wheel heating to come on when the weather is at a temp you decide (same as the seats).

I think that's it!
      08-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
That automatic window is new isn’t it. Wouldn’t have much us myself but quite cool. Maps have meant to have had a major overhaul?

Have you got driving assistant pro? Interested to know if auto lane change is available - i think it only works on certain roads such as motorways. When driving with it enabled, you can change lanes just by using the indicator. I think there will be an option in iDrive to enable or disable it if it’s there.
Didn’t think this was available in the UK. I only have 04/2020 - dealer told me last week that was the latest version and I have no reason to take the car back yet. Car is only 3 weeks old and has DAP.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post

You should be able to force the auto windows via apps in the car regardless of your version, whilst it’s fairly new, I did exactly that when on 11/2019.70 prior to this. In apps hit the option button then press update all apps and services, it should then come through, it did for me, or, hold down selector on BMW apps I think it is and do same.

I don’t have Drive Assist - was hoping it might magically appear tho it hasn’t, though think it has a special button on the wheel which I don’t have as well so it’s never realistically going to appear!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Didn’t think this was available in the UK. I only have 04/2020 - dealer told me last week that was the latest version and I have no reason to take the car back yet. Car is only 3 weeks old and has DAP.
They’ll probably mean there is no newer OTA update out, current OTA update is only pushing 11/2019.70, so in one sense yours doesn’t need an update, but when plugged in they can find a newer one. Crackers really.

New things I’ve also now spotted so far:

• You can select diff driving modes via the voice assistant! I absolutely could not do this before as had tried but I can now switch to Xtra Boost, Hybrid, electric etc via voice command which I’m impressed with!

• You can wind; individual, both front, both back or all windows up and down via voice command as well! I don’t THINK this was possible before, unless I’d just never tried it!? Not tried both left or both right windows but will try that as well! Seems to be fully up and fully down but will also try and ask it to wind it half down etc but doubt it’ll be that clever!

Will try and think of some more voice stuff as well and see if there’s anything else!
Tried turning the park assist on but it didn’t seem to ‘get it’ with what I was asking... the button wasn’t activated and it didn’t seem to want to by voice either but will try again as usually if it’s not possible it tells you.

Also I let the voice assistant ramble on through all the things it can do, interestingly it didn’t mention the new stuff! It did say something about I can chat to it if I’m bored or something similar and don’t remember it doing that before but it’s months since I’ve listened to the full spiel.

Am really impressed with the voice control for the driving modes!
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
You should now have activate rear DRL and if you have it steering wheel heating to come on when the weather is at a temp you decide (same as the seats).

I think that's it!
What’s activate rear DRL sorry? Not sure if I have that? It has the standard rear view reversing camera if you mean that? Wonder if you mean that’s now got voice control too, as I’ll try it!

I don’t have heated steering wheel, can’t you see I’m in Yorkshire - I’m not paying for that haha!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I've been struggling to think of any situation where the Automatic Window app would be useful. Toll booths (which I don't use) and a regularly-used car park were all I could think of.
It seems a strange choice of app to develop, would have thought there were far more useful things they could have thought of.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottroc View Post
I've been struggling to think of any situation where the Automatic Window app would be useful. Toll booths (which I don't use) and a regularly-used car park were all I could think of.
It seems a strange choice of app to develop, would have thought there were far more useful things they could have thought of.
I’ve set it up for my works car park access control entry barrier. Only set it up though on last visit, yet to test it in anger. Will also probably set it at other less frequently visited car parks - train station multi storeys etc... agree with you to a degree it’s not the most important thing in the world and we’ve managed well for centuries without it... but for me it’s a convenience thing while you’re trying to find where you put your works pass, or hitch up and get it out of your trouser pocket (the pass!), or looking for that car park barrier ticket etc etc as you pull up to a barrier... I think it’ll make things a tiny bit easier. It’s the sort of thing I’d expect to separate a supposedly higher end brand from a mid range brand etc. I think it’s pretty cool and I’m all for this sort of thing.

My mates suggested in jest it will be programmed for kerb crawling!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
What’s activate rear DRL sorry?
It just means have the rear lights on during the day in the same way the DRL's (daytime running lights) are illuminated.

This used to be the case when DRLs were first becoming a feature on new cars but before they were mandatory, but BMW changed it so that the front DRLs are only on during the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:
What’s activate rear DRL sorry?
It just means have the rear lights on during the day in the same way the DRL's (daytime running lights) are illuminated.

This used to be the case when DRLs were first becoming a feature on new cars but before they were mandatory, but BMW changed it so that the front DRLs are only on during the day.
Yeah. If you go into exterior light setting in iDrive it should have a check box for rear DRL on or off.
      08-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
Yeah. If you go into exterior light setting in iDrive it should have a check box for rear DRL on or off.
Aha yeah it does cheers.

I think I’m more impressed with the rear lights going on and off on the little graphic of the car on the display screen when you switch it on/off, than I am with the feature itself!
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Could you do me a favour Yorkshire330e please as I know you are 07/2020 software

Im either going nuts or it's changed. When you press Nav and than push idrive controller to the left. Is there an option for address input? All I have is this now and it's bloody awkward putting a post code in
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

I’ll have a look tomorrow (Mon).
I don’t really bother with the BMW maps, I tend to use Waze or Google Maps. Will have a nosey and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #15
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’ll have a look tomorrow (Mon).
I don’t really bother with the BMW maps, I tend to use Waze or Google Maps. Will have a nosey and report back.
Cheers! Im certain the menu was a lot bigger before I had the update hah. Just curious if it's everyone on the update or they've made a balls of mine
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 04:00 AM   #16
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedeejay View Post
Could you do me a favour Yorkshire330e please as I know you are 07/2020 software

Im either going nuts or it's changed. When you press Nav and than push idrive controller to the left. Is there an option for address input? All I have is this now and it's bloody awkward putting a post code in
It wouldn't surprise me if it's a fault. "Recent destinations" keeps disappearing and reappearing on my X5 (G05). BMW software is an absolute mess.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #17
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Looks like mine is the same, does seem short of a few things but I can’t think what!? Unless they’ve moved to the right hand side?

Also when you press Nav or Map, both of them take you to this screen? Am sure that didn’t happen before but am prob the last person to be trying to get to the bottom of this as rarely used the BMW maps/nav anyway.

Also faffed further with voice control, seems it’ll put it in xtra boost pretty much every time and hybrid sometimes, might be how I’m asking it. Will reserve judgement on elec as suspect it wouldn’t activate that driving mode by voice due to battery level, only it didn’t make it clear, it just gave you the impression it didn’t want to do it or it hadn’t understood you properly!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #18
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

Skip to 1:55 that's what used to be there. The main thing for me was Address Input! Bloody bmw hah
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Skip to 1:55 that's what used to be there. The main thing for me was Address Input! Bloody bmw hah
And Lauren is nowhere to be seen in my car either!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #20
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well spotted. Just checked mine (also on 07.2020) and it's the same as yours now.

Have to go into search? Can't find the old school address input though.

Going to take her back to the dealer and request the Lauren update.
      08-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #21
Joedeejay
Private First Class
Rep

Yeh going into search works, but address input was so much easier (mainly because it would auto switch from letters to numbers etc). I feel like this just runs off online searching. Maybe Q3 map update will bring it back...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #22
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Yeh going into search works, but address input was so much easier (mainly because it would auto switch from letters to numbers etc). I feel like this just runs off online searching. Maybe Q3 map update will bring it back...
My M340i has just updated to 07/2020 and it seems such a backward step that the only quick way of entering a new destination is by voice input; what if you’re abroad and can’t pronounce some or part of the destination address? As you say, it now just seems to rely on online search which, of course, often doesn’t work properly. Why can’t these car companies just leave things as they were?!
Appreciate 0