Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics USB stick size and file format?

08-10-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

USB stick size and file format?

Hey guys, I have a question, has anyone tested if the G20 supports the NTFS format, or is it just FAT32? Additionally what's the max USB storage the G20 can handle, 128gb/256gb or unlimited?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

SAMSUNG Fit Plus 256GB here, so 256 GB is surely possible, not sure what's the limit. I don't remember used filesystem.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
SAMSUNG Fit Plus 256GB here, so 256 GB is surely possible, not sure what's the limit. I don't remember used filesystem.
Can confirm, 128gb works, movies and music play, though can't play subtitles for movies so you need them in the native language of the kids. Tried FAT32 only and it works, maybe will try NTFS, but I am almost certain it will not work, due to how outdated the car manufacturers are.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:36 AM   #4
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
San Disk Ultra Fit
USB 3.1
64GB

Formatted in FAT32.
File structure is /Artist/Album

Everything works "fine" - although the car doesn't remember where it left off nor does it remember that it was set to shuffle. So, it's starts on the same song every time I turn the car on.

No clue what the issue is there?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
San Disk Ultra Fit
USB 3.1
64GB

Formatted in FAT32.
File structure is /Artist/Album

Everything works "fine" - although the car doesn't remember where it left off nor does it remember that it was set to shuffle. So, it's starts on the same song every time I turn the car on.

No clue what the issue is there?
Haven't tried mine yet, but I have the same usb just 128gb,right now I'm recording movies for the passengers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Upload 66GBs on my USB stick and put in the car and it literally died, luckily the USB stick is still under warranty so I'm getting a replacement for free tomorrow. Will try that and update you guys on how it works with movies and music, unless it dies again
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
Hey guys, I have a question, has anyone tested if the G20 supports the NTFS format, or is it just FAT32? Additionally what's the max USB storage the G20 can handle, 128gb/256gb or unlimited?
I wrestled with this in the first weeks of ownership. Here's what worked for me. It is flawless, no issues with cycling to the same song, album art works, playlists work, the device can be set to a shortcut button. Basically an iPod (I came from an E90) in a USB flash drive.

I use a super-low profile Kingston 128 GB combo USB 3.0/USB-C drive plugged into the USB-C port in the center armrest. I had heard early on that the standard USB interface may not work as well as the C, and my testing seemed to bear this out. I only got it perfect once I used the USB-C. Bonus is that it is impossible to spill drinks on it and you never bump it in the center console!

I use iTunes for my library, and then I used a program called iTunesFusion. I think there was a 1 month trial on it and then it was pretty cheap and totally worth it. This program effectively allows a USB drive to sync to your iTunes library.

When you build the sync profile (the rules for creating the folder structure on the USB drive), these are the settings that worked for me:

Destination Folder
\Music

Album Art Resizing (you do this once)
Check the box and set the size to 600x600. Necessary for correct display and reading of album art.

For playlists to work (.M3U files), they must be synchronized to the root of the drive, and the checkbox for "Remove Leading Backslashes..." MUST be checked. The drive will show a Music folder at the root and then all the playlists loosely. This is the only method that worked for me.

When done, verify the playlist format by opening your playlist file in Notepad. It should look similar to this:

#EXTM3U
Music\Alice In Chains\Facelift\01 - We Die Young.mp3
Music\Alice In Chains\Facelift\02 - Man In The Box.mp3
Music\Alice In Chains\Facelift\03 - Sea Of Sorrow.mp3

Hope this helps you!
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00
      08-19-2020, 04:48 AM   #8
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e

I just bought and installed a 512GB Sandisk Fit Ultra in mine and worked perfect. Also, formatted as NTFS. I have it maxed out with lossless FLAC - a mix between 16 and 24bit and all plays perfectly. I, however, just noticed this morning that when starting the car cold, it does not resume play from where you were listening. Instead, it plays the first tract in the first artist's album on the disk. That's a bother.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ult...083ZS4HYD?th=1
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #9
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorRomeo View Post
I just bought and installed a 512GB Sandisk Fit Ultra in mine and worked perfect. Also, formatted as NTFS. I have it maxed out with lossless FLAC - a mix between 16 and 24bit and all plays perfectly. I, however, just noticed this morning that when starting the car cold, it does not resume play from where you were listening. Instead, it plays the first tract in the first artist's album on the disk. That's a bother.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ult...083ZS4HYD?th=1
I have the same but 256gb and for now for me it plays everything in order, however from what I've noticed BMW seems to reset its settings at some point so I expect this... For example in comfort my instrument cluster switches back from rev to power at some point and it's really annoying but that's the way it is...
That's why I always play in shuffle.
Appreciate 0