Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series vs Tesla Model 3

03-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #727
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I don't totally understand Tesla's being "technologically advanced". From my understanding they don't offer things like 360 view cameras, head up display, or android auto/apple carplay etc.

They do offer gimmicks like watching netflix on the large screen (who'd have thought that would be all the rage in the era of smartphones). Or fart sounds.

In terms of AP working up to 90 mph - Tesla treats their customer base as the beta testers, so that's how you get some of these features before other manufacturers begin to make them mainstream - you know, once they're proven to be safe.

I'm not knocking Tesla (maybe a little) - I think they're doing a wonderful job of changing the landscape. But I think because they're "different" people get caught up in thinking they're more advanced.
If there's one bit of tech that I do like about the model 3 it's the Sentry mode. That's pretty cool that with the use of cameras around the car that's it's actively monitoring the environment around the vehicle for threats. Sending a notification to the owner if a threat is recognized before it actually happens is very handy.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #728
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Regularly seeing many more Model 3's on the road than G20's (not counting my own in every shop window as I cruise by me and Mrs seelark are already having i4 conversations

Only 28 months and counting
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #729
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I don't totally understand Tesla's being "technologically advanced". From my understanding they don't offer things like 360 view cameras, head up display, or android auto/apple carplay etc.

They do offer gimmicks like watching netflix on the large screen (who'd have thought that would be all the rage in the era of smartphones). Or fart sounds.

In terms of AP working up to 90 mph - Tesla treats their customer base as the beta testers, so that's how you get some of these features before other manufacturers begin to make them mainstream - you know, once they're proven to be safe.

I'm not knocking Tesla (maybe a little) - I think they're doing a wonderful job of changing the landscape. But I think because they're "different" people get caught up in thinking they're more advanced.
As a 20+ years BMW enthusiast, you sound exactly like I did up until 2 years ago. I was singing from the same hymn as you. Let me help bring you into the world of why Tesla is different.

1. Android Auto/Apple Carplay - the mere need for this is predicated on the fact that the vehicle isn't up to par with your Android or iPhone. Meaning you feel your phone can do a better job with Google maps or iTunes or iMessages. Once you start using the Tesla infotainment, you realize they built basically that tablet or phone experience into their system. The Navi maps use google maps and car updates on the fly with the latest data including traffic, status of superchargers (like how many people are using said chargers) and more info than you'd ever need to bother picking up your phone. Same goes for music choices whether it's streaming from the Tesla music servers or from you Sportify account. The interface negates you having to connect your phone to access these services bc you log on directly and the car is connected via it's own 4G cell connection. Messaging and texts work very well with natural speech and the integration is excellent.

2. Netflix/Hulu - this is purely a time waster. But if I'm on the road and we need to pull into a SC for 15-30 mins, maybe 1 hr if we need a full top off, 30 mins is usually killed by bathroom and snakc breaks, and the remaining 30 mins is killed by enjoying a quick show or episode. Or you can. Watch the news if you have Hulu Live. Good luck if BMW will offer something like that on the iX or i4. It sounds frivolous but trust me watching it on a larger screen with good sound piped thru the speakers is better than any tablet or phone.

3. AP Beta testers - I used to recite this regularly. And yes, the full self driving is a customer paid beta test. However, the free included AP is solid. It's just a lane holding AI based cruise control and it works. BMWs Traffic Jam assist is no match. Not sure if BMW is just being too conservative or what, but Tesla is years ahead in this area. I drive my BMWs for pleasure but I take the Tesla if I'm tired or just feel like relaxing. AP is safe, but like all systems, requires you to be ready to take over. The best part is Tesla is constantly refining it so it keeps getting and better over time.

Tesla makes BMW better thru competition. The only problem is BMW designers took it off into the deep end. Who in their right mind thinks any of these beaver buck tooth rodent faced atrocities looks good? Like seriously?
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      03-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #730
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelark View Post
Regularly seeing many more Model 3's on the road than G20's (not counting my own in every shop window as I cruise by me and Mrs seelark are already having i4 conversations

Only 28 months and counting
Mr. seelark, I suggest you and the Mrs. enjoy the nice ride that you have NOW.
Appreciate 1
seelark142.50
      03-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #731
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Here in SoCal, there seem to be more Model 3s than 3 series on the road at any given time especially on the major fwys. I'm assuming all those folks are using AP to cope with the traffic/commute. There is no joy driving a sports car in traffic. The Model 3 is the ultimate commuter machine.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #732
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
If there's one bit of tech that I do like about the model 3 it's the Sentry mode. That's pretty cool that with the use of cameras around the car that's it's actively monitoring the environment around the vehicle for threats. Sending a notification to the owner if a threat is recognized before it actually happens is very handy.
Yes, sure wish my top view cameras on my F80 did just this. Seems like tesla is way ahead in the practical use of cameras on a car. Negating the need for a separate dash cam and providing the ability to capture video evidence if someone hits your car. I suspect Tesla will eventually allow a 360 view remotely via the app. Nice thing is I'm not forced to buy a new car just to get a feature. Tesla is upturning the traditional car business model by continually updating and adding new features. Essentially eliminating FOMO
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #733
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I am sure the remote 360 facility on my G20 constantly maintains a 40 second recording in the hard drive should an accident happen while driving, which helps a little
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #734
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

My neighborhood has been transitioning from BMW's to Tesla's. Been seeing a lot more Model 3's and X's in my area then before, and we aren't even in a prime EV centric area like LA or have a lot of nearby Superchargers. My neighborhood is pretty much consisting of BMW, MB and Lexus. The MB and Lexus owners tend to be very loyal and always have more than one and tend to keep them for a longer period of time. The BMW owners in this neighborhood pretty much lease and don't seem to be loyal. A lot of them have been swapping their 3-Series for Model 3's or MB's. We also have a lot of X5's going away in favor of Model X's as well.
      03-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #735
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

That's one of the reasons I don't want a Tesla, at least not in the immediate future. Way too many and they are no longer unique. I'll enjoy a relatively rare car with ICE while it lasts
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #736
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
As a 20+ years BMW enthusiast, you sound exactly like I did up until 2 years ago. I was singing from the same hymn as you. Let me help bring you into the world of why Tesla is different.

1. Android Auto/Apple Carplay - the mere need for this is predicated on the fact that the vehicle isn't up to par with your Android or iPhone. Meaning you feel your phone can do a better job with Google maps or iTunes or iMessages. Once you start using the Tesla infotainment, you realize they built basically that tablet or phone experience into their system. The Navi maps use google maps and car updates on the fly with the latest data including traffic, status of superchargers (like how many people are using said chargers) and more info than you'd ever need to bother picking up your phone. Same goes for music choices whether it's streaming from the Tesla music servers or from you Sportify account. The interface negates you having to connect your phone to access these services bc you log on directly and the car is connected via it's own 4G cell connection. Messaging and texts work very well with natural speech and the integration is excellent.

2. Netflix/Hulu - this is purely a time waster. But if I'm on the road and we need to pull into a SC for 15-30 mins, maybe 1 hr if we need a full top off, 30 mins is usually killed by bathroom and snakc breaks, and the remaining 30 mins is killed by enjoying a quick show or episode. Or you can. Watch the news if you have Hulu Live. Good luck if BMW will offer something like that on the iX or i4. It sounds frivolous but trust me watching it on a larger screen with good sound piped thru the speakers is better than any tablet or phone.

3. AP Beta testers - I used to recite this regularly. And yes, the full self driving is a customer paid beta test. However, the free included AP is solid. It's just a lane holding AI based cruise control and it works. BMWs Traffic Jam assist is no match. Not sure if BMW is just being too conservative or what, but Tesla is years ahead in this area. I drive my BMWs for pleasure but I take the Tesla if I'm tired or just feel like relaxing. AP is safe, but like all systems, requires you to be ready to take over. The best part is Tesla is constantly refining it so it keeps getting and better over time.

Tesla makes BMW better thru competition. The only problem is BMW designers took it off into the deep end. Who in their right mind thinks any of these beaver buck tooth rodent faced atrocities looks good? Like seriously?
I totally understand the appeal. And like I mentioned, I think it's incredible what they've done to change the landscape and push competitors to think differently.

My comment was more in response to the "bmw only recently released android auto" comment to show disparity in technology. There's features on both sides that are lacking (i.e. as mentioned before with birds-eye 360 view, HUD etc)

They're two very different companies. BMW is an automotive company that makes cars. Tesla is more a tech company that makes cars. As a result, in my opinion, BMW does a much better job at making cars in the mechanical sense, whereas Tesla's advantage is with software.

Everyone has their preferences, but I choose to drive a car rather than run some software. You mentioned it yourself.... you take your BMW for pleasure and your Tesla for when you're tired and don't want to drive.

I'm not speaking from a place of total ignorance either (I don't think at least....). I did seriously consider a model 3 at one point and rented one for a couple weeks to see how it would be as a daily driver. I believe I went into that experiment totally unbiased (I had no history with BMW prior to that). So I fully submerged myself into that world of why Tesla is different as you mention.

I came away from that experience with very mixed feelings. The car was definitely "different" and had a few neat tricks/gimmicks. Instant torque was cool and acceleration was intense. But at the end of the day the entire experience left me feeling cold. I had never before driven a car that felt so void of emotion. Even the crappy S60 I rented recently made me feel SOMETHING (mostly anger, but still).

And that's not considering quality issues (the plasticky phone charging tray actually broke in my 2 weeks that I had the car - it was a brand new car).

It may sound like I'm bashing Tesla, but I honestly try to give my opinion without bias. I'm critical of BMW as well.... and of all cars I've had in my past.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      03-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #737
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
That's one of the reasons I don't want a Tesla, at least not in the immediate future. Way too many and they are no longer unique. I'll enjoy a relatively rare car with ICE while it lasts
No plans for getting a Model X and filming yourself doing summersaults on Huntingdon Beach Pier :

There's $$$ on that there YouTube
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #738
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelark View Post
No plans for getting a Model X and filming yourself doing summersaults on Huntingdon Beach Pier :

There's $$$ on that there YouTube
What, they don't do such things at any of the famous castles in your neck of the woods?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #739
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

MFNATIK thanks for the informative post on the Tesla. For me, CarPlay gets me Waze and I want the warnings waze provides. Debris in the road warnings saved more than one undertray for me. Let’s not even discuss the warnings for officers.

Not sure I’m ready for the wholesale interface changes at my advanced age.

Now get off my lawn.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00