Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series begins production in Mexico

Closed Thread

10-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #221
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Saludos amigo.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #222
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

After reading this thread, it makes me really think twice about getting this model. A new factory and new model I agree it’s going to take time to sort out all the kinks in perfecting production. I’ve owned (2) 3 series and both were special orders both made in Germany. Both were rock solid in workmanship and quality. This coupled with the boy racer digital gauges that I’m not a fan of...the journey of purchasing a new 3 series for me has come to an end.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #223
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
After reading this thread, it makes me really think twice about getting this model. A new factory and new model I agree it’s going to take time to sort out all the kinks in perfecting production.
This is a reasonable approach with any brand/program. The second year of a product life cycle is usually optimal with all the engineering changes accumulated from year 1 volume in the field being implemented. Also, this usually precedes the typical cost reduction efforts which usually start in the 3-4th year of most programs.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #224
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
After reading this thread, it makes me really think twice about getting this model. A new factory and new model I agree it’s going to take time to sort out all the kinks in perfecting production. I’ve owned (2) 3 series and both were special orders both made in Germany. Both were rock solid in workmanship and quality. This coupled with the boy racer digital gauges that I’m not a fan of...the journey of purchasing a new 3 series for me has come to an end.
In five years’ time every car will have digital gauges. Time to go classic...?
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 01:26 AM   #225
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I believe the M340i and M3 will be built in the motherland.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #226
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I believe the M340i and M3 will be built in the motherland.
I believe the G80 will still be manufactured in Germany.
      10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #227
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
We had a local M club "comida" a week ago that was attended by a friend who works at the San Luis Plant and shall remain nameless.

Some real information:

- The plant has started production but all they are building now are "test" vehicles that won't be sold to validate the entire process and ensure that quality is up to expected ("German" if you want to call them that!) standards. The photo in the OP is of one such test vehicle. Also, the photo was a leak that wasn't supposed to happen b/c it's not "real" production yet.

- Production ramp up will be VERY gradual. Initially just one shift and over time increasing to 3.

- The plant can build up to 175,000 cars/year when it reaches full capacity

- Initially for the first several months and maybe a year only the 330i will be built here. Over time other models may be added. The plant is ready to be retooled relatively easily to build other models if demand/consumption/tariffs shift.

- Almost 2,000 hires so far. These are all people who won't be emigrating to the US and who will consume a lot of imported US goods.

- A huge amount of parts are sourced from the U.S., Germany and elsewhere.

I have 100% confidence in the ability of this BMW plant to build cars indistinguishable from those built elsewhere.

Carry on.
I thank you for this post because it answers the questions that need answered without resorting to jingoistic scenarios.
Whether your BMW is manufactured in China,South Africa,USA,Germany or Mexico.
They are manufactured to the highest levels of quality control and precision standards developed in Germany.

To let you know they will be on the point to achieve a 0 defect standard so that a 3er whether produced in Germany,China or Mexico conform to the global standards and methods applied and conceived by BMW in Germany. These production lines will be of course manned by the highest levels of manufacturing personnel that oversee quality control to ensure they all meet the required standards expected within the quality control programme.
      12-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #228
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Looks like this is relevant again because 330i allocations are out.

There is that other thread with chatter about plant x Vs plant z X..... yawnnnnn

Kinda excited to somehow tour the SLP plant one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #229
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Don't see why the migrants don't want to settle in Mexico. Seems like a great place to live and work.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread