Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2018 BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Who has custom ordered a BMW before?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
White340
First Lieutenant
69
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: 2016 340 xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Who has custom ordered a BMW before?

I'm undecided on what to do with my 2016 340 that is coming off lease in December. I am planning on extending for 2 months right now and would like to test drive the 340 when it comes out but unfortunately that isn't available until the spring. BMW FS said that I could extend my lease up to 6 months if i have a build number so I'm thinking of placing an order on an M340 to extend my lease and decide whether I want to go ahead and switch to the M340.

If I place an order for a custom build:
1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave?
2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?
3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car?
4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?
5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Enlisted Member
22
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 228xi
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Custom ordered my 2 series back in ‘15:
- You do negotiate the final price at time of order, whatever discounts off MSRP or whatever.
- I don’t think your able to take advantage of offers once car is delivered. Any discounts ( in my case new graduate discount) was applied at time of order with negotiation of final price and financing terms
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
sikotic
Enlisted Member
18
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 428i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Ca

iTrader: (0)

From what I understand

1) You need a $1000 deposit
2) I'm not sure whether or not this is refundable, My guess is no.
3) Yes negotiate the selling price
4) Very doubtful
5) Not sure
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
sarafil
First Lieutenant
sarafil's Avatar
36
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: '16 550xi
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave?
Up to you and your dealer - I've ordered many cars with no deposit but have been long time customer. $1000 is customary.

2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?
Generally yes. They might give you the run around but in most (all?) states the law usually on your side here. Make sure you use a credit card to give you another avenue to pursue if needed.

3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car?
Yes, absolutely. Once the car arrives you're invested in it emotionally and they have no incentive to negotiate. Lay out as much as you can now (ex. $xxx off MSRP or $yyy over invoice)

4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?
Generally yes. Some programs might have exclusions for previous orders but most don't.

5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?
Same as above. One key point is you can't "mix and match", it's all or nothing. So you can't take this months rate and residual with a future months lease or finance cash, for example. All programs must be in effect in the same month.
__________________
2016 550i xDrive Sedan -- Alpine White / Mocha Leather, M Sport, Exec, Driver Assist and Cold Weather Pkgs

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW -- 2006 MZ4 Roadster -- 2002 325i Sedan -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
BMW in NE
Private First Class
32
Rep
163
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New England

iTrader: (2)

I ordered my 340 xDrive in May.. here's my experience

1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave? - They told me $500. I gave them my credit card number but they never charged it.
2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease? I was told the deposit was non-refundable.
3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car? I sure did. I had 3 dealers working on giving me the best price. Make sure your dealership has allocation or you are going to be waiting a while to get the car.
4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust? They told me they would adjust based on the current offers if I would benefit. If I were you, I'd stay on top of current offers until you take delivery. If a rebate increases from 2k to 3k and you don't notice..that's another 1k in the dealer's pocket.
5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF? Yes you can take advantage of the current offers.

Side note.. I'd negotiate the BEST deal you can up front. On a 2019 you aren't going to see massive deals coming anytime soon, so you are going to have to work. Also, check for Ultimate Drive Events in your area. You can get an extra $1k off, but keep that in your back pocket until you are finished negotiating your deal. Also, join the BMW CCA and you can get rebates (I got $500) from them after the sale.
Appreciate 1
monixp0.00

      11-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
skierrob
New Member
9
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW F30 White
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Signal Hill, CA

iTrader: (0)

1. When I ordered my 2014 F30, I was told no deposit was needed - because (at least in California), deposits are always refundable. So no point to take one.

2. See number one -- at least for California.

3. I negotiated with multiple dealers and got a great price with my custom order.

4. You can keep negotiating after placing your order, and can always walk away.... but if you do it's sort of a jerk move. If the incentives change, of course you can get the better incentive because in reality the incentive you qualify for (interest rate or cash back from manufacturer) will be the one when you take delivery of the car.

5. I didn't lease, so no clue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
ScottAndrew
Lieutenant
358
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: BMW 230i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I'm undecided on what to do with my 2016 340 that is coming off lease in December. I am planning on extending for 2 months right now and would like to test drive the 340 when it comes out but unfortunately that isn't available until the spring. BMW FS said that I could extend my lease up to 6 months if i have a build number so I'm thinking of placing an order on an M340 to extend my lease and decide whether I want to go ahead and switch to the M340.

If I place an order for a custom build:
1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave?
2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?
3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car?
4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?
5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?

Thanks!
I've custom ordered (here, just "ordered" ) six BMWs new in 30 years. I've never leased any of them. Also I am sure my experience will be irrelevant for obvious reasons but here goes:

1) £500 to £1,000
2) No. Could be yes, for you though
3) Yes
4) Never - at least, not here
5) Not sure as I've never leased. But based on 4, probably not.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
White340
First Lieutenant
69
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: 2016 340 xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Thank you all for your inputs!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:40 AM   #9
hans007
Captain
236
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi A4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
From what I understand

1) You need a $1000 deposit
2) I'm not sure whether or not this is refundable, My guess is no.
3) Yes negotiate the selling price
4) Very doubtful
5) Not sure
#2 depends on the state. in CA deposits have to be refundable for example. some dealers seem to hate custom orders here, since people randomly order an estoril blue f30, with red seats and wood trim and cancel at the last minute (i saw one of these at a dealer before...).... i actually got my F30 because it was an ordered canceled car and well a config "normal people" didn't want.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
266
Rep
3,529
Posts

Drives: F10 535i xDrive ZMM
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Yes, all of my BMWs were custom ordered with an exception of my F10


Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post


1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave?

Up to your dealer but usually $500 is enough

2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?

Usually, Yes

3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car?

Heck YES!

I ordered my 2007 E92 335 for $500 over its ED invoice price in Aug of 2006. This car was super hot at the time and dealers were offering $500 off of MSRP if anything. Shop around and don't fall for the hype. These are mass produced cars!


4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?

Unlikely, once you lock the price and order the car, it is yours unless you are willing to walk away.

5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?

Yes, that is no problem. If the lease rates get better, dealer will adjust it for you.

Thanks!
__________________
Current: 2016 F10 535i xDrive AW w/ Black Dakota, ZMM, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, 688 & Black Grills + Euro Headlight Switch, Euro Tail Lights, Euro Side Mirrors, Euro Warning Triangle, Euro First Aid Kit, M5 Spoiler, M-Performance Style Front Lip, M-Performance Exhaust
Retired: 2011 E92 M3 -AW……………....ED April 29th, 2010
Retired: 2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006
Appreciate 1
MT4life232.00

      11-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
m630
Captain
m630's Avatar
121
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: '16 F80 S55
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I'm undecided on what to do with my 2016 340 that is coming off lease in December. I am planning on extending for 2 months right now and would like to test drive the 340 when it comes out but unfortunately that isn't available until the spring. BMW FS said that I could extend my lease up to 6 months if i have a build number so I'm thinking of placing an order on an M340 to extend my lease and decide whether I want to go ahead and switch to the M340.

If I place an order for a custom build:
1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave?
2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?
3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car?
4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?
5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?

Thanks!
First thing to realize is that you cannot extend your lease unless you have ordered the new car, and you cannot order the M340 in December so you have a foundational issue to start with.
1- deposits on a new build usally 1k
2- i believe so
3-yes
4-yes
5-yes
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
1406
Rep
3,354
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

iTrader: (0)

There is no reason to leave a deposit on a regular production car, not a huge deal to leave one but it serves no real purpose. When I ordered my M2 they took my credit card number for a deposit and I signed a form for a deposit but they never processed it.
Negotiate the price as part of the order, depending on the allocation availability you may or may not get a build date right away so plan ahead. Shipping takes about 6 weeks on average from the build date, it varies so again plan ahead.
As stated above you cannot extend your lease so order now.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
x986
Second Lieutenant
47
Rep
278
Posts

Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

White 340,
(Good name, I have one - custom ordered.) I'm two months behind you with lease expiring in Feb. My salesman contacted me a couple of days ago; I told him I would not consider an '18 car, but I am interested in the G20, 340. He said he will get back to me. Does anyone know if this 'lease extension' is BMW Financial Services or dealership? I guess I just answered the question; it must be Financial Services.

FWIW, I test drove an Audi S5 and was underwhelmed. I will be cross shopping the Genesis G70 when it becomes available in Calif. I expect that car to be $10K cheaper than a 340 with bells and whistles, but I don't expect it to be as good a car. How close is THE question; it is further complicated by the fact that I actually prefer driving my wife's Tesla Model 3 over my 340 for local errands. And I have two toy cars for carving up the local back roads.

Sorry OP. I haven't answered any of your questions, but I have opened myself up for some free psychological counselling. ;>)

Well, here is one point that might be helpful. My E92 was a 2007.5 car. I never kept a car for 7 years before, but that one kept me very happy for that long. I don't remember exactly what the .5 advances were, but BMW has a history of making mid year corrections on new models, and the G20 sounds like a major change.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
xlover
Captain
No_Country
272
Rep
841
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
White 340,
(Good name, I have one - custom ordered.) I'm two months behind you with lease expiring in Feb. My salesman contacted me a couple of days ago; I told him I would not consider an '18 car, but I am interested in the G20, 340. He said he will get back to me. Does anyone know if this 'lease extension' is BMW Financial Services or dealership? I guess I just answered the question; it must be Financial Services.

FWIW, I test drove an Audi S5 and was underwhelmed. I will be cross shopping the Genesis G70 when it becomes available in Calif. I expect that car to be $10K cheaper than a 340 with bells and whistles, but I don't expect it to be as good a car. How close is THE question; it is further complicated by the fact that I actually prefer driving my wife's Tesla Model 3 over my 340 for local errands. And I have two toy cars for carving up the local back roads.

Sorry OP. I haven't answered any of your questions, but I have opened myself up for some free psychological counselling. ;>)

Well, here is one point that might be helpful. My E92 was a 2007.5 car. I never kept a car for 7 years before, but that one kept me very happy for that long. I don't remember exactly what the .5 advances were, but BMW has a history of making mid year corrections on new models, and the G20 sounds like a major change.
BMW FS will extend your lease 3 months as courtesy and 6 months with a car on order. If you want a g20 I would recommend doing the 3 month then as soon as g20 ordering opens get one on order and bump to 6 months

It's prorated too so as soon as you swap the cars the extension ends
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:48 AM   #15
glennQNYC
Benelli M4 Speed Loader
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
2967
Rep
3,728
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
If I may digress... This is one reason I don't lease. I don't want details contained in a lease contract impacting my timeline for vehicle ownership. I want maximum flexibility in deciding how long I own a vehicle.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
NYC_340i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
46
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: '16 340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

I'm on the same boat but I got more time as my lease ends in November 2019. I'm really interested in the M340i but I also want to keep my '16 340i because I love it so much.

My plan is to take the 3 month extension and go around to dealers in late December to place an order for a M340i (hopefully with ED) and keep my 340i until it arrives.

Question regarding custom ordering, I've seen conflicting info on this but if I use December rates and incentives to order a car and it gets delivered in, let's say February, will the payment get recalculated based on February rates? From what I see it looks like I have an option on whether to use the December rates I ordered with or to use the February rates when I pickup the car depending on what's better.
__________________
Current: '16 340i xDrive EBII 8AT Mods: 30% tints, IND color matched front reflectors, M color grill inserts, rear lip spoiler, dual resonator delete, various coding, BMS Intake, JB+, M Performance Diffuser, 19" gunmetal Forgestar F14
Previous: '13 Volkswagen CC Executive 4Motion
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
xlover
Captain
No_Country
272
Rep
841
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I'm on the same boat but I got more time as my lease ends in November 2019. I'm really interested in the M340i but I also want to keep my '16 340i because I love it so much.

My plan is to take the 3 month extension and go around to dealers in late December to place an order for a M340i (hopefully with ED) and keep my 340i until it arrives.

Question regarding custom ordering, I've seen conflicting info on this but if I use December rates and incentives to order a car and it gets delivered in, let's say February, will the payment get recalculated based on February rates? From what I see it looks like I have an option on whether to use the December rates I ordered with or to use the February rates when I pickup the car depending on what's better.
You get a 60 day lock on rates on the east coast and 90 day lock on the west coast. If the car comes in during the lock period you have the choice of your "order date" rates or the current rates. This is mutually exclusive as well you can't mix and match. If the car arrives outside the lock period you are stuck with the rates on delivery. however I have heard but not experienced that the dealer can work with BMWNA to play around with this. I also think they have some options like rerunning your credit each period to extend the lock. Depending on how rates are trending you may want to order in oct for dec delivery. As of late by October we have gotten a pretty good preview of the holiday program. It's likely but not guaranteed the best rates will be in dec so there is a bit of risk no matter how you play it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
x986
Second Lieutenant
47
Rep
278
Posts

Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

A question about extending lease?


Is it at existing terms? i.e. I'm paying $665 based on a new car cost. Will the extension be at the same $665/month that I paid for a new car, or adjusted downward to lease a "used" car. The way I look at it, a 6 month lease extension will add $2K to the cost of a new BMW vs. buying a new Audi, MB, or Genesis. (FWIW, I'm planning to pay cash for my next car.)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #19
NH_F36
BMW Client Advisor
NH_F36's Avatar
1317
Rep
1,520
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135I  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
A question about extending lease?


Is it at existing terms? i.e. I'm paying $665 based on a new car cost. Will the extension be at the same $665/month that I paid for a new car, or adjusted downward to lease a "used" car. The way I look at it, a 6 month lease extension will add $2K to the cost of a new BMW vs. buying a new Audi, MB, or Genesis. (FWIW, I'm planning to pay cash for my next car.)
BMW can extend your lease up to 90 days if you have another car on order and you have a production number.

When you extend the lease you continue to make the same payment and you get additional miles.
__________________
Jay P
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
PIA & COE winner.
M Performance Specialist. Jpichardo@tulley.com

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #20
GOLFFRR
Lowest prices on all BMWs, we sell to all states
GOLFFRR's Avatar
5464
Rep
22,714
Posts

Drives: GOLFFRR cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (4)

looks like most of you answered the questions.

One small thing about number 5.

you can lock in programming with BMW for 60 or 90 days. If you buy from a West Coast dealer you can lock in for 90 days, if you buy from a east coast dealer its 60 days.

if you take delivery of the vehicle within that time frame you can select which months programming works best for you, you have to pick one and you can't mix and match programming from different months.

you will need to lock in with specific dealer, you can do so online or in person. will require a credit ap.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Bach: jbach@stevethomasbmw.com - Cell:805-807-1989
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy B PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #21
BMWDavid
M Sales Award ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
United_States
204
Rep
782
Posts

Drives: MSport F30
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BMW Secret Test Facilities

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [5.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
A question about extending lease?


Is it at existing terms? i.e. I'm paying $665 based on a new car cost. Will the extension be at the same $665/month that I paid for a new car, or adjusted downward to lease a "used" car. The way I look at it, a 6 month lease extension will add $2K to the cost of a new BMW vs. buying a new Audi, MB, or Genesis. (FWIW, I'm planning to pay cash for my next car.)
BMW can extend your lease up to 90 days if you have another car on order and you have a production number.

When you extend the lease you continue to make the same payment and you get additional miles.
BMW FS will in some cases (like this) extend a lease for up to six months.
__________________

ANY BMW model, ANY State. PM, call, text, or email before your next purchase for THE deal!
David@BMWDavid.com | 202-262-2900 | Get your Ultimate Quote here-> www.BMWDavid.com
David is a U.S.Veteran and has served the Bimmerpost community since 2006
Be sure to check out our inventory too! www.BMWofCatonsville.com
Appreciate 1
drexplode730.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST