BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #177
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBe82 View Post
Of course some people will always complain but I just ignore them. Like I do with my wife.
People who buy automatics don't complain...because they're not really into what they're buying. They fall for marketing and just buy whatever other people are buying. Buying a 6MT in 2019 means you are dedicated to the process of driving, being involved, wanting to enjoy the art of driving.

It's not about marketing Ring times (the single dumbest performance criteria people pay attention to these days). It's not about gear change speed. Most of us who drive manual gearboxes are ok at driving manuals but we are always improving, always involved at becoming better drivers.

So yes we will complain. The art of driving has taken a backseat to shitty bazillion speed ZF transmissions which capture 0 emotion. Replaced by toggling an iPad that's the main feature of the dashboard. By electronic steering racks that feel "artificially quick" but lacking any input or feedback. By electronic sensors that prevent neck and mind exercise by auto parking or driving. By the dumbification of driving that makes 90% of buyers say "cool!!" And 10% of us that cringe with horror. It's ok to complain when needed; it makes things happen.
gatorfast4994.50
      01-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #178
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
All these new variations will make it very hard to find the exact one you want on dealer lots since they stock very few Ms to begin with.
What's the problem in that?

Anyone can build the exact one they want.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #179
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have no illusions about my M4 being a race car or even a dedicated track car. What I am interested in is a car that fits the definition of a Grand Touring car and I feel that the m3/4 fits that definition perfectly. GT cars combine comfort, style, and performance to create a swift, opulent driving experience.

I do not want a car that is uncomfortable for a long distance drive, that shakes the fillings out of my teeth or gets upset on rough roads, snaps my neck when it shifts gears or is so loud that it drowns out the sound system or makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

I want a car that starts right up in cold weather, had a good climate control system, a good infotainment system, adjustable, heated seats, etc. and is comfortable cruising for long periods on an interstate and is fun and responsive on a twisty back road.

I understand that the "Pure" version will appeal to some and I am glad to see BMW offer it but it is probably not a car that would appeal to me.

The reality of the situation is that any version of the M3/4 is going to have more performance than is usable on public roads and if the next version is capable of going around the Nürburgring faster with a professional at the wheel I don't really care.
This nails it for me, too. The M3 is a car that does everything well and is so well-rounded. I got my F80 after having such a positive experience with my E92, I drove that car everywhere and never wanted to get out. An M3 should be fast, fun on any type of road, fun and durable on track, comfortable, look good, sound good, have a nicely appointed interior, etc. It isn't a GT3 or a Nismo 370Z, this is not a one-trick pony and really shouldn't be at this price and size point.

If you want your M3 to be focused on track and canyon performance, this Pure edition seems like an amazing fit and it's great that BMW may offer this package at a lower price, too. For me, I want my next M3 to have it all BUT I would probably want it with a manual transmission again. I haven't driven the F90 M5 with its new automatic which supposedly is different than the other automatics in the rest of BMW's line up so I'll reserve judgement for now. So far I've had 6 manual BMWs and 1 DCT and I would honestly be surprised if I was willing to give up the manual for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #180
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
People who buy automatics don't complain...because they're not really into what they're buying. They fall for marketing and just buy whatever other people are buying. Buying a 6MT in 2019 means you are dedicated to the process of driving, being involved, wanting to enjoy the art of driving.

It's not about marketing Ring times (the single dumbest performance criteria people pay attention to these days). It's not about gear change speed. Most of us who drive manual gearboxes are ok at driving manuals but we are always improving, always involved at becoming better drivers.

So yes we will complain. The art of driving has taken a backseat to shitty bazillion speed ZF transmissions which capture 0 emotion. Replaced by toggling an iPad that's the main feature of the dashboard. By electronic steering racks that feel "artificially quick" but lacking any input or feedback. By electronic sensors that prevent neck and mind exercise by auto parking or driving. By the dumbification of driving that makes 90% of buyers say "cool!!" And 10% of us that cringe with horror. It's ok to complain when needed; it makes things happen.
Are you aware of the thread you're in?

Or did you forget while typing out the usual mantra that exclusively MT purists are the driving gods and if you set foot in an AT you should shrivel up and disappear before the might of your highness?

But yeah sure. Keep on complaining about wanting a pure MT car experience, while belittling your fellow enthusiasts to make you feel like you're more than them, all while in a thread about how BMW will provide a "pure" manual version of the upcoming M3 and M4. Just way to go to prove your point, Mr. Art of Driving.

Keep on complaining when BMW seems to at least try to give you what you want, or show they care somewhat. That'll "make things happen".

Or is that your problem? That all this is happening, so you'll have less of a chance putting yourself on a pedestal for driving a manual?
Also I'm not sure whether you noticed, but all the MT driving-focused people uninterested in marketing numbers are complaining here because the MT version will probably be slightly down on power.

And excuse me for also appreciating ATs for what they are and what they do. I'm currently driving a manual, and have only ever owned manuals so far, so I'm hoping you'll forgive me.

Last edited by KTN; 01-20-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      01-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #181
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course some people will always complain but I just ignore them. Like I do with my wife.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Appreciate 4
kozzi927.00
instarand208.50
Powerslide1096.50
ra2289305.50
      01-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #182
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

I just want an M5 awd, just a smaller package. I think this will be what I want!
I think the M2 is replacing the M3s spot, I'm ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #183
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Bunch of complainers. I'm sure the next M3 will be an amazing car just as every M3 before it has been.
Appreciate 3
Powerslide1096.50
ra2289305.50
      01-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #184
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

You should see what happens on the Porsche forums when they mess with the 911. You would think people still wanted a car from the 70s.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #185
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
I just want an M5 awd, just a smaller package. I think this will be what I want!
I think the M2 is replacing the M3s spot, I'm ok with that.
This is spot on.

I'll go back to a M3/4 if they can make the separation from Comfort to Sport + as wide as humanly possible. To make up for the shorter wheelbase.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #186
JAhmed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unc879wins View Post
M3 Legacy?

M3 Track?

M3 Traditional?

Pure may not be such a bad name after all, lol. Marketing peeps, have at it!

M3 Glutton?
      01-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #187
PRUVEIT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT, skyroof

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
I truly wish they would put a manual across the entire line, but I'm happy that there will be a manual.

2018 i3s Electric Blue
2015 M4 6MT- MG/BLK everything except CCB
2000 323 Ci - sold, 1998 SAAB 900 - hurricane, 1988 SAAB 900 SPG - sold, 1967 Ford Galaxy LTD 390 - stolen
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #188
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:
Quote:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Of course God will have mercy on his soul - because clearly God chose the 6MT in his car as well - and would never lower himself to the level of us mortal scoundrels who have DCT...

That being said - I now have a combined 160,000 miles driving a DCT since 2008 including on track multiple times (E93 and two F80's). Even tonight I can't wait to drive my lowly DCT equipped F80 to work tomorrow. So yes - it is possible to be completely fulfilled as an enthusiast driving something that doesn't have a clutch pedal.

For those of you who swear by manuals - enjoy! But also add me to the list of those who are sick of the holier-than-thou types who think you have to have a manual to be in love with driving your car...
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
      01-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #189
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

How do you get the same amount of discount on a car that’s been sitting on the lot for a year compared to a custom build?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #190
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:

How do you get the same amount of discount on a car that’s been sitting on the lot for a year compared to a custom build?
Couple things:

1) Have a relationship with your dealer. I haven't "negotiated" a sales price in years.

2) Know the numbers
A) Invoice on Base MSRP
B) Invoice on Options
C) Current Incentives

3) If you're buying a ~$90,000 car and an "extra"
(which will only happen on a REALLY SHITTY BUILD someone backed out on)
savings of $1,000-$2,000 on a "Lot" car sways you to buy a car that's not exactly as you want.

You should immediately stab yourself in the eye with a fork.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      01-20-2019, 11:01 PM   #191
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Of course God will have mercy on his soul - because clearly God chose the 6MT in his car as well - and would never lower himself to the level of us mortal scoundrels who have DCT...

That being said - I now have a combined 160,000 miles driving a DCT since 2008 including on track multiple times (E93 and two F80's). Even tonight I can't wait to drive my lowly DCT equipped F80 to work tomorrow. So yes - it is possible to be completely fulfilled as an enthusiast driving something that doesn't have a clutch pedal.

For those of you who swear by manuals - enjoy! But also add me to the list of those who are sick of the holier-than-thou types who think you have to have a manual to be in love with driving your car...
I tend to take the MT purists with a grain of salt but I cut also tend to cut them some slack since I used to espouse the same attitude. I convinced myself that driving a car well below its limits on public roads somehow made me an expert driver because I was driving a manual transmission. I now realize that while I thought I was driving at the cars limits in reality I was driving at my own limits.

Then I started driving race cars on race tracks and was coached by professional race drivers. It was somewhat of an epiphany to learn that tf these race car drivers, several of them national champions and competitors and winners of races like LeMans, Daytona 24 Hour. 12 Hours of Sebring, Indy 500. etc. had no aversion to automatic transmissions and one thing several of the said was "I am interested in anything that makes the car go faster." If you think driving a paddle shifted car is "boring" try driving one around a race track at 100% of the cars capabilities when the car is sliding around the corners at the limits of grip. To quote Mario Andretti "If you feel that everything is under control you aren't going fast enough".

The conclusion I came to was that the level or insistence on the superiority of manual transmissions tends to be inversely proportional to the skill and experience of the driver. Note that I did not say "the preference for a manual transmission".

Preference is a personal matter and your preferences are your business and I am not in a position to dictate anyone's preference for a transmission type, car brand, favorite food, favorite music, or anything else. But don't tell me I don't enjoy driving because I drive a DCT instead of an MT or that I don't enjoy music because I prefer jazz to country or that I don't enjoy wine because I prefer Malbec to Pinot Noir. To each his own and I respect the fact that there are people who have different tastes than I do. Our different tastes express or individuality. My idea of an ideal world is not one where I pull into a parking lot and park with dozens of cars identical to mine and go into a restaurant where everyone orders the same thing I do.
Agree 100%. When people say "real racers don't drive automatic" my response has been "well I guess every professional race car driver for the better part of the past two decades isn't a real driver then". Usually, in response of argument based on the disbelief that nearly every single category of racing is now autos with paddles.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #192
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I exclusively drove manuals for many years but since the time I started driving ATs, whether DCT or planetary, have gotten much better than the 2 Speed Powerglide/Fordomatic "Slushboxes" of years ago. I currently have cars with MT, ZF, DCT. I enjoy driving all of them and would not own a car I do not enjoy driving.

I have been involved in high performance driver training for a number of years and currently have a track membership that allows me what is for all practical purposes unlimited track access. This experience has taught me two things. I am a much better driver than I was. I am no where near as good a driver as I thought I was. There is a lot more to high performance driving than shifting gears and I would go as far as to say that shifting an MT is one of the easiest skills to master.

If there is anyone here that concludes that because my M4 has a DCT I am not dedicated to the process of driving and being involved and do not want to enjoy the art of driving they are certainly entitled to their opinion. Since I have access to some of the top professional driving and racing coaches in the business I tend to take their opinions more seriously than the opinion of a random poster on an Internet forum.
Quote:
I exclusively drove manuals for many years but since the time I started driving ATs, whether DCT or planetary, have gotten much better than the 2 Speed Powerglide/Fordomatic "Slushboxes" of years ago. I currently have cars with MT, ZF, DCT. I enjoy driving all of them and would not own a car I do not enjoy driving.

I have been involved in high performance driver training for a number of years and currently have a track membership that allows me what is for all practical purposes unlimited track access. This experience has taught me two things. I am a much better driver than I was. I am no where near as good a driver as I thought I was. There is a lot more to high performance driving than shifting gears and I would go as far as to say that shifting an MT is one of the easiest skills to master.

If there is anyone here that concludes that because my M4 has a DCT I am not dedicated to the process of driving and being involved and do not want to enjoy the art of driving they are certainly entitled to their opinion. Since I have access to some of the top professional driving and racing coaches in the business I tend to take their opinions more seriously than the opinion of a random poster on an Internet forum.
Nothing wrong with driving an automatic.

Floor it and steer; easier to sell etc.

Who's right who's wrong?

It's an enthusiast web site.

When I was getting my F80, one of the sales reps said I don't need a sunroof because it adds weight. Also told me to get DCT because of 0 to 60 mph etc. lol

I said I'm not trying to shave time off on the Nurburgring.

Leather 6mt sunroof FTW
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #193
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
The ZF is faster that's why it's replacing the DCT in all the M cars. Have you even driven one? Much better feel than DCT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
The new M5 is faster than the old one, sure. But are the shifts objectively faster than the DCT?

“Feel” is subjective. I’ve never been in a car that had any form of a ZF that I liked in any respect, much less preferred over a DCT.

It is so boring that I can’t imagine ever owning one. In fact, my next car will be either an M2C, M3CS, or a P car because I refuse to put up with that sort of expensive in any car.
I spent time in an F90 M5 on Friday all on the track. I was surprised also about the shifting speed/quality as I expected it to be superb given all the praise the 8AT has been given. In a couple of sections if was just too slow to respond to my paddle request to downshift (request made when it could easily complete the 3-2 downshift without revs being too high)...perhaps it was due to intense braking in progress about to lead into heavy trailbraking, and the "system" wasn't going to allow a downshift. Anyway, overall, it felt nothing like a DCT to me. I suppose I would just say it's pretty good for an AT.

The F90 is brutally fast...no doubt. It's amazing on track how quickly you adapt to its acceleration. The AWD system worked incredibly well putting down the power, especially the part about it not feeling like a ponderous/understeering Audi. It felt light on its feet to an extent somehow even given the mass it's carrying.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
kyrix1st2361.50
      01-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #194
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I spent time in an F90 M5 on Friday all on the track. I was surprised also about the shifting speed/quality as I expected it to be superb given all the praise the 8AT has been given. In a couple of sections if was just too slow to respond to my paddle request to downshift (request made when it could easily complete the 3-2 downshift without revs being too high)...perhaps it was due to intense braking in progress about to lead into heavy trailbraking, and the "system" wasn't going to allow a downshift. Anyway, overall, it felt nothing like a DCT to me. I suppose I would just say it's pretty good for an AT.

The F90 is brutally fast...no doubt. It's amazing on track how quickly you adapt to its acceleration. The AWD system worked incredibly well putting down the power, especially the part about it not feeling like a ponderous/understeering Audi. It felt light on its feet to an extent somehow even given the mass it's carrying.
F90 M5 does an excellent job when left in automatic. I absolutely HATE that philosophy in an M.
      01-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #195
CBBMWNA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive w/ MPE

Hmm. M range continues to get more and more complicated. M4 GC sounds appealing... One of the best F80's I have driven was one that literally had every option and a bunch of M Performance parts on it - truly a visceral experience. Sounds like that will be different later this year....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #196
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
This is everyone's scenario they were asking for.. 6 speed purist car, and awd options that can handle power with auto. The zf 8 speed and 10 speed is now in every track car like zL1 and vette.. they say it is just as good or faster shifting then any dct... I like the dct but will still want a manual before I get to old to want to drive one anymore. I do think it's funny that everyone wants a v8 Manual.. the e90s are selling for 25k now, go get 3 of them for the price of the new m3
And videos show that it doesn't like to shift at times lol
      01-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #197
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Can't wait for the first guy to put a tune on the manual and blow his transmission.

Plenty of power for stock. Add in some nice suspension bits and lose some weight, I'd drive this. Skipped f8x for a reason.
Why would you wish that on anyone?
I'm not wishing it in anyone. I'm waiting for it to happen because we both know it will haha
      01-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #198
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post

Also have spent time on track with the F90, but no shifting issues whatsoever. Upshifts & downshifts were responsive and plenty fast.

Have a counter-opinion to the prevailing point of view after tracking the F90, C63 S. Found the latest autos to be totally sufficient. Double downshifts are the only circumstances in which the absence of DCT is really apparent. Shifts aren't as crisp as DCT or PDK, but that's not disruptive to the track experience, imo, i.e. you're not thinking about the shift times or gearbox behavior. (Lack of response to downshifts happens with DCT boxes sometimes too.)

Couldn't agree more with your other M5 track observations.

Bringing it back to the thread subject, a 550 bhp CSL with the M5's AWD system would be devastatingly fast. Convinced that M5 AWD fitted to my GTS would gain seconds/lap. It's that advantageous on corner exit, and doesn't hamper elsewhere.

Not sure I'd want it though. Managing throttle and steering at corner exit is a fundamental rwd M3/M4 experience. AWD system simplifies corner exit immensely. Look way down the track, get the front tires pointed toward your target, and nail it.

Could just select 2wd I suppose, but my sense and speculation is that M has deprioritized traction at the rear as compared to when it was the only drive option. The cars are engineered to go fast in AWD mode. 2wd has become hoon mode.

Appreciate 0