Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Who has custom ordered a BMW before?

11-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Who has custom ordered a BMW before?

I'm undecided on what to do with my 2016 340 that is coming off lease in December. I am planning on extending for 2 months right now and would like to test drive the 340 when it comes out but unfortunately that isn't available until the spring. BMW FS said that I could extend my lease up to 6 months if i have a build number so I'm thinking of placing an order on an M340 to extend my lease and decide whether I want to go ahead and switch to the M340.

If I place an order for a custom build:
1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave?
2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?
3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car?
4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?
5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Custom ordered my 2 series back in ‘15:
- You do negotiate the final price at time of order, whatever discounts off MSRP or whatever.
- I don’t think your able to take advantage of offers once car is delivered. Any discounts ( in my case new graduate discount) was applied at time of order with negotiation of final price and financing terms
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

From what I understand

1) You need a $1000 deposit
2) I'm not sure whether or not this is refundable, My guess is no.
3) Yes negotiate the selling price
4) Very doubtful
5) Not sure
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Up to you and your dealer - I've ordered many cars with no deposit but have been long time customer. $1000 is customary.

2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease?
Generally yes. They might give you the run around but in most (all?) states the law usually on your side here. Make sure you use a credit card to give you another avenue to pursue if needed.

Yes, absolutely. Once the car arrives you're invested in it emotionally and they have no incentive to negotiate. Lay out as much as you can now (ex. $xxx off MSRP or $yyy over invoice)

4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust?
Generally yes. Some programs might have exclusions for previous orders but most don't.

5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF?
Same as above. One key point is you can't "mix and match", it's all or nothing. So you can't take this months rate and residual with a future months lease or finance cash, for example. All programs must be in effect in the same month.
      11-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

I ordered my 340 xDrive in May.. here's my experience

1) How much of a deposit do I need to leave? - They told me $500. I gave them my credit card number but they never charged it.
2) Is this deposit refundable if I choose to buy another brand or even buy out my lease? I was told the deposit was non-refundable.
3) Do you negotiate the selling price upon ordering the car? I sure did. I had 3 dealers working on giving me the best price. Make sure your dealership has allocation or you are going to be waiting a while to get the car.
4) Suppose that the deals are better once the car is actually delivered. Will they price adjust? They told me they would adjust based on the current offers if I would benefit. If I were you, I'd stay on top of current offers until you take delivery. If a rebate increases from 2k to 3k and you don't notice..that's another 1k in the dealer's pocket.
5) Suppose that lease rates are better (incentives or MF) when the car is delivered. Do I have the option to get the incentive/MF? Yes you can take advantage of the current offers.

Side note.. I'd negotiate the BEST deal you can up front. On a 2019 you aren't going to see massive deals coming anytime soon, so you are going to have to work. Also, check for Ultimate Drive Events in your area. You can get an extra $1k off, but keep that in your back pocket until you are finished negotiating your deal. Also, join the BMW CCA and you can get rebates (I got $500) from them after the sale.
Appreciate 1
monixp0.00
      11-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
skierrob
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 White

1. When I ordered my 2014 F30, I was told no deposit was needed - because (at least in California), deposits are always refundable. So no point to take one.

2. See number one -- at least for California.

3. I negotiated with multiple dealers and got a great price with my custom order.

4. You can keep negotiating after placing your order, and can always walk away.... but if you do it's sort of a jerk move. If the incentives change, of course you can get the better incentive because in reality the incentive you qualify for (interest rate or cash back from manufacturer) will be the one when you take delivery of the car.

5. I didn't lease, so no clue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I'm undecided on what to do with my 2016 340 that is coming off lease in December. I am planning on extending for 2 months right now and would like to test drive the 340 when it comes out but unfortunately that isn't available until the spring. BMW FS said that I could extend my lease up to 6 months if i have a build number so I'm thinking of placing an order on an M340 to extend my lease and decide whether I want to go ahead and switch to the M340.

Thanks!
I've custom ordered (here, just "ordered" ) six BMWs new in 30 years. I've never leased any of them. Also I am sure my experience will be irrelevant for obvious reasons but here goes:

1) £500 to £1,000
2) No. Could be yes, for you though
3) Yes
4) Never - at least, not here
5) Not sure as I've never leased. But based on 4, probably not.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Thank you all for your inputs!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:40 AM   #9
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
From what I understand

1) You need a $1000 deposit
2) I'm not sure whether or not this is refundable, My guess is no.
3) Yes negotiate the selling price
4) Very doubtful
5) Not sure
#2 depends on the state. in CA deposits have to be refundable for example. some dealers seem to hate custom orders here, since people randomly order an estoril blue f30, with red seats and wood trim and cancel at the last minute (i saw one of these at a dealer before...).... i actually got my F30 because it was an ordered canceled car and well a config "normal people" didn't want.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Yes, all of my BMWs were custom ordered with an exception of my F10

Quote:

Up to your dealer but usually $500 is enough

Usually, Yes

Heck YES!

I ordered my 2007 E92 335 for $500 over its ED invoice price in Aug of 2006. This car was super hot at the time and dealers were offering $500 off of MSRP if anything. Shop around and don't fall for the hype. These are mass produced cars!

Unlikely, once you lock the price and order the car, it is yours unless you are willing to walk away.

Yes, that is no problem. If the lease rates get better, dealer will adjust it for you.

Thanks!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      11-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
First thing to realize is that you cannot extend your lease unless you have ordered the new car, and you cannot order the M340 in December so you have a foundational issue to start with.
1- deposits on a new build usally 1k
2- i believe so
3-yes
4-yes
5-yes
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

There is no reason to leave a deposit on a regular production car, not a huge deal to leave one but it serves no real purpose. When I ordered my M2 they took my credit card number for a deposit and I signed a form for a deposit but they never processed it.
Negotiate the price as part of the order, depending on the allocation availability you may or may not get a build date right away so plan ahead. Shipping takes about 6 weeks on average from the build date, it varies so again plan ahead.
As stated above you cannot extend your lease so order now.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
White 340,
(Good name, I have one - custom ordered.) I'm two months behind you with lease expiring in Feb. My salesman contacted me a couple of days ago; I told him I would not consider an '18 car, but I am interested in the G20, 340. He said he will get back to me. Does anyone know if this 'lease extension' is BMW Financial Services or dealership? I guess I just answered the question; it must be Financial Services.

FWIW, I test drove an Audi S5 and was underwhelmed. I will be cross shopping the Genesis G70 when it becomes available in Calif. I expect that car to be $10K cheaper than a 340 with bells and whistles, but I don't expect it to be as good a car. How close is THE question; it is further complicated by the fact that I actually prefer driving my wife's Tesla Model 3 over my 340 for local errands. And I have two toy cars for carving up the local back roads.

Sorry OP. I haven't answered any of your questions, but I have opened myself up for some free psychological counselling. ;>)

Well, here is one point that might be helpful. My E92 was a 2007.5 car. I never kept a car for 7 years before, but that one kept me very happy for that long. I don't remember exactly what the .5 advances were, but BMW has a history of making mid year corrections on new models, and the G20 sounds like a major change.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
White 340,
(Good name, I have one - custom ordered.) I'm two months behind you with lease expiring in Feb. My salesman contacted me a couple of days ago; I told him I would not consider an '18 car, but I am interested in the G20, 340. He said he will get back to me. Does anyone know if this 'lease extension' is BMW Financial Services or dealership? I guess I just answered the question; it must be Financial Services.

FWIW, I test drove an Audi S5 and was underwhelmed. I will be cross shopping the Genesis G70 when it becomes available in Calif. I expect that car to be $10K cheaper than a 340 with bells and whistles, but I don't expect it to be as good a car. How close is THE question; it is further complicated by the fact that I actually prefer driving my wife's Tesla Model 3 over my 340 for local errands. And I have two toy cars for carving up the local back roads.

Sorry OP. I haven't answered any of your questions, but I have opened myself up for some free psychological counselling. ;>)

Well, here is one point that might be helpful. My E92 was a 2007.5 car. I never kept a car for 7 years before, but that one kept me very happy for that long. I don't remember exactly what the .5 advances were, but BMW has a history of making mid year corrections on new models, and the G20 sounds like a major change.
BMW FS will extend your lease 3 months as courtesy and 6 months with a car on order. If you want a g20 I would recommend doing the 3 month then as soon as g20 ordering opens get one on order and bump to 6 months

It's prorated too so as soon as you swap the cars the extension ends
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #15
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
If I may digress... This is one reason I don't lease. I don't want details contained in a lease contract impacting my timeline for vehicle ownership. I want maximum flexibility in deciding how long I own a vehicle.
      12-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #16
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I'm on the same boat but I got more time as my lease ends in November 2019. I'm really interested in the M340i but I also want to keep my '16 340i because I love it so much.

My plan is to take the 3 month extension and go around to dealers in late December to place an order for a M340i (hopefully with ED) and keep my 340i until it arrives.

Question regarding custom ordering, I've seen conflicting info on this but if I use December rates and incentives to order a car and it gets delivered in, let's say February, will the payment get recalculated based on February rates? From what I see it looks like I have an option on whether to use the December rates I ordered with or to use the February rates when I pickup the car depending on what's better.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I'm on the same boat but I got more time as my lease ends in November 2019. I'm really interested in the M340i but I also want to keep my '16 340i because I love it so much.

My plan is to take the 3 month extension and go around to dealers in late December to place an order for a M340i (hopefully with ED) and keep my 340i until it arrives.

Question regarding custom ordering, I've seen conflicting info on this but if I use December rates and incentives to order a car and it gets delivered in, let's say February, will the payment get recalculated based on February rates? From what I see it looks like I have an option on whether to use the December rates I ordered with or to use the February rates when I pickup the car depending on what's better.
You get a 60 day lock on rates on the east coast and 90 day lock on the west coast. If the car comes in during the lock period you have the choice of your "order date" rates or the current rates. This is mutually exclusive as well you can't mix and match. If the car arrives outside the lock period you are stuck with the rates on delivery. however I have heard but not experienced that the dealer can work with BMWNA to play around with this. I also think they have some options like rerunning your credit each period to extend the lock. Depending on how rates are trending you may want to order in oct for dec delivery. As of late by October we have gotten a pretty good preview of the holiday program. It's likely but not guaranteed the best rates will be in dec so there is a bit of risk no matter how you play it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
A question about extending lease?

Is it at existing terms? i.e. I'm paying $665 based on a new car cost. Will the extension be at the same $665/month that I paid for a new car, or adjusted downward to lease a "used" car. The way I look at it, a 6 month lease extension will add $2K to the cost of a new BMW vs. buying a new Audi, MB, or Genesis. (FWIW, I'm planning to pay cash for my next car.)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #19
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Is it at existing terms? i.e. I'm paying $665 based on a new car cost. Will the extension be at the same $665/month that I paid for a new car, or adjusted downward to lease a "used" car. The way I look at it, a 6 month lease extension will add $2K to the cost of a new BMW vs. buying a new Audi, MB, or Genesis. (FWIW, I'm planning to pay cash for my next car.)
BMW can extend your lease up to 90 days if you have another car on order and you have a production number.

When you extend the lease you continue to make the same payment and you get additional miles.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #20
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

looks like most of you answered the questions.

One small thing about number 5.

you can lock in programming with BMW for 60 or 90 days. If you buy from a West Coast dealer you can lock in for 90 days, if you buy from a east coast dealer its 60 days.

if you take delivery of the vehicle within that time frame you can select which months programming works best for you, you have to pick one and you can't mix and match programming from different months.

you will need to lock in with specific dealer, you can do so online or in person. will require a credit ap.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #21
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Quote:

BMW can extend your lease up to 90 days if you have another car on order and you have a production number.

When you extend the lease you continue to make the same payment and you get additional miles.
BMW FS will in some cases (like this) extend a lease for up to six months.