Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Downpipe for my 330i

07-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
rsn_2296
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Downpipe for my 330i

Im very new to all this and am wanting to learn! I'm interested in getting a downpipe and was wondering, would I need other upgrades to get the most out of this? From what I understand a downpipe improves exhaust flow and helps a turbo build boost quicker. So far I have no other mechanical mods for my 2019 330i besides a jb+. Would I need something like a jb4 to actually get something out of a downpipe? Would this be safe to run with all other stock parts? Also what would this do to my exhaust sound? I don't want to be "that guy" with a civic sounding exhaust.

Thanks for all the help/advice/info!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi,
adding a downpipe to a stock car will not give you the Civic sound. You only get that when you go straight pipes with a muffler delete.

its safe to use the downpipe with all stock parts, its also safe to use it with a Jb4.

the downpipe gives you some power gains on its own, you get the full benefit if paired with a tune.

Consider the Active Autowerke catted downpipe to avoid the check engine light.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
rsn_2296
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi,
adding a downpipe to a stock car will not give you the Civic sound. You only get that when you go straight pipes with a muffler delete.

its safe to use the downpipe with all stock parts, its also safe to use it with a Jb4.

the downpipe gives you some power gains on its own, you get the full benefit if paired with a tune.

Thank you so much for the info, I'll be sure to check this out
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
Arbitration
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Hi,

Hi, I'm not the OP, but was considering getting a catted downpipe. I was looking at the one you mentioned by AA, and it's kinda pricey at $1400. Is it worth it? As in, are there any under $1000 that would save me a couple hundred?

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...ee54&_ss=r
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitration View Post
Hi, I'm not the OP, but was considering getting a catted downpipe. I was looking at the one you mentioned by AA, and it's kinda pricey at $1400. Is it worth it? As in, are there any under $1000 that would save me a couple hundred?

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...01daee54&_ss=r
Hi,
its worth it since it does not throw a check engine light.

There are cheaper ones but you will be driving with the CEL

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

I've got a JB4 with a custom map 6 tune on E85 blend with a catless downpipe with the stock exhaust. Totally safe to run with the stock exhaust and it definitely improves the exhaust sound, it's what I would consider "OEM+." Definitely not as loud as getting an aftermarket axle/cat back though.

I was running the JB4 with the stock cat for a while and adding the catless downpipe really opened up the car, the spooling of the turbo is noticeably louder and I could definitely feel the power gain it gave. I'm sure it'll be a nice upgrade along with your JB+ but like what Mike said, you get the full benefits with a real tune.

What's also really funny is that I have yet to get a CEL from the catless downpipe so far. So weird.