Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e MSport towbar

02-15-2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

330e MSport towbar

Does anyone have a 330e with a towbar. Have ordered mine with one for bikes mainly. What does it do to the ride etc? Also, why is tow capacity reduced? Frame is the same as all other 3 series? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Lucky you to have the ability to have a towbar - my 330e delivered in October was before they added it as an option, which is not retrofittable...... Left me fuming, as they clearly changed the spec of a brand new car almost immediately. 😡

In terms of reduced towing capacity, its because of the effect that towing has on electric motor and regenerative braking. Teslas have the same restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejigsaw View Post
Lucky you to have the ability to have a towbar - my 330e delivered in October was before they added it as an option, which is not retrofittable...... Left me fuming, as they clearly changed the spec of a brand new car almost immediately. 😡

In terms of reduced towing capacity, its because of the effect that towing has on electric motor and regenerative braking. Teslas have the same restrictions.
Sure it is not retro fitable? Unless the mounting is different then normal g20, they can order a retro fit set which is the same as original.
      02-16-2020, 03:24 AM   #4
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Sure it is not retro fitable? Unless the mounting is different then normal g20, they can order a retro fit set which is the same as original.
Afraid not. I checked with BMW UK and my dealer. They reenginerred the battery position to allow a tow bar fitting. There is no space to add one on the first 2 months of builds - they changed the spec from November, meaning those of us who placed early orders are badly disadvantaged. I only wanted it for putting a tin bar bike rack on the back. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Carlos s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Does anyone have a 330e with a towbar. Have ordered mine with one for bikes mainly. What does it do to the ride etc? Also, why is tow capacity reduced? Frame is the same as all other 3 series? TIA.
Curious, did you end up getting a towbar? I am ordering a g20 and want the towbar but wondering if it will be visible when retracted? I've seen a picture of a G21 where you could see it when away
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
sadisticpandabear
Rep
Drives: G20 330E

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejigsaw View Post

What date is your produced? Can you please check on https://bimmer.work/

Mine is produced on 29102019. Also intrested in fitting a towbar, Dealer doesnt really wanna help me cause didnt bought it there.

And since it doesnt have a COC, i have no idea If its allowed.

It seems like there is enough space behind the bumper tho...
Appreciate 0