Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Digital Key Query

07-17-2021, 03:43 AM   #1
neilp950
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Digital Key Query

Just taken delivery of new 320D M Sport and would have thought I should have the digital key functionality. The car came with a digital card that I could set up and use to unlock car etc but i can’t set up my iPhone.

It says that if you have digital key available it will appear in the MyBMW App so you can set up but I don’t have it in the app. Is it only certain specs / packages etc that has the digital key functionality or should all versions have it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:48 AM   #2
Russ_M340i
Russ_M340i
England
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Think it's been deleted due to the chip shortages. On my order of a new m340i it's been deleted
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #3
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp950 View Post
Just taken delivery of new 320D M Sport and would have thought I should have the digital key functionality. The car came with a digital card that I could set up and use to unlock car etc but i can’t set up my iPhone.

It says that if you have digital key available it will appear in the MyBMW App so you can set up but I don’t have it in the app. Is it only certain specs / packages etc that has the digital key functionality or should all versions have it?

Thanks.
You need full comfort access for it to be enabled. My car is only 2 weeks old and I have it both with the card and the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Russ_M340i
Russ_M340i
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFats View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
You need full comfort access for it to be enabled. My car is only 2 weeks old and I have it both with the card and the iPhone.
I have full comfort access on my build but the spec sheet says it's deleted along with the wireless charging option due to the chip shortages
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Also, it’s only recent-ish iPhones. If you have a model that’s more than three years old it probably won’t be available.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #6
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_M340i View Post
I have full comfort access on my build but the spec sheet says it's deleted along with the wireless charging option due to the chip shortages
My understanding is that the 40i and 40d have been protected although this might have now changed for future builds.
I can assure you that I have it on my M440i which was built in mid to late June.
Update: I have now established that current new orders have had this facility deleted. It is unlikely that I will use it anyway being quite content to carry a key. Hey ho!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Russ_M340i
Russ_M340i
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_M340i View Post
My understanding is that the 40i and 40d have been protected although this might have now changed for future builds.
I can assure you that I have it on my M440i which was built in mid to late June.
Update: I have now established that current new orders have had this facility deleted. It is unlikely that I will use it anyway being quite content to carry a key. Hey ho!
It's definitely been deleted on my spec sheet when I ordered a couple of weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

My M340i went into build 16th June and digital key was deleted, I have comfort access so probably wouldn't have used the feature anyway. I did question how secure it is, opening with an iPhone given how freely car thieves seem to be able to programme a key.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
neilp950
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

I’ve contacted BMW customer support to query. My car comes with the comfort pack and my iPhone is the latest model. Car is only 3 weeks old.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 04:29 AM   #10
Bobvegas
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport (G21)

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve contacted BMW customer support to query. My car comes with the comfort pack and my iPhone is the latest model. Car is only 3 weeks old.
I took delivery of my 330 G21 with comfort access and tech pack on 2nd July. It has the digital key card and I have an iPhone (SE 2nd gen). The key card works and the iPhone can unlock/lock the car by holding the top of the phone near the door handle as well as startup the car when placed on the tray (haven’t got wireless charging). I found the option to setup the iPhone digital key in the app.

I had asked the salesman on pickup whether I had the keycard, they said no. I only discovered that I did actually have the key card on the on the drive home (found in the sun visor)!

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 04:32 AM   #11
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Am I being dim? If you have full comfort access what's the point of being able to open the car with your phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 04:40 AM   #12
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Am I being dim? If you have full comfort access what's the point of being able to open the car with your phone?
You still have to carry the key with you for comfort access. I suppose if you are doing something adventurous you may not want to risk the key with you so the card is safer?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 05:08 AM   #13
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
You still have to carry the key with you for comfort access. I suppose if you are doing something adventurous you may not want to risk the key with you so the card is safer?
Well it's all academic to me as it's been deleted on my order. I guess you might say "well you would say that wouldn't you" but I don't think I'm missing out on much.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I have the credit card type key. Been sat in the kitchen drawer since the day I collected the car. Can't think of any realistic use for it. Not set it up so one less security bypass available for the car. Maybe if I had a kid and lent car to them and didn't trust them with a key? I dunno.

Not even bothered looking at iPhone app for the digital key setup. See even less point in that personally. Would look a bit of a nob opening car with a phone to the door handle. Think my iPhone is probably not supported anyway and dont intend replacing it for another iPhone.

Last edited by willougs; 07-18-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #15
Phil1703
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Touring G21

I activated mine soon after getting car and wife keeps it in her purse
If we’re out and about and she gets back to car she can let herself in
Also when away saves taking a spare key “just in case the inevitable happens”
For us it’s a great peace of mind so a big plus but everyone has their own view
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1703 View Post
I activated mine soon after getting car and wife keeps it in her purse
If we’re out and about and she gets back to car she can let herself in
Also when away saves taking a spare key “just in case the inevitable happens”
For us it’s a great peace of mind so a big plus but everyone has their own view
Now that’s a useful idea - the spare key is always locked away and so this works. However, this also means she could be upset with me and drive away leaving me abandoned. Currently, I can counter any disagreement by having the final say and the key! I’ll think about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #17
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Now that’s a useful idea - the spare key is always locked away and so this works. However, this also means she could be upset with me and drive away leaving me abandoned. Currently, I can counter any disagreement by having the final say and the key! I’ll think about it.
Is it not easier just to install the app on her phone and let her unlock from that? Cant start the car from that either.

Just seems to me to be another thing to lose, or get stolen.

If I'm out and about in the other car for example, and someone breaks in to my house and finds the key card, they also could be away with the car.
      07-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Is it not easier just to install the app on her phone and let her unlock from that? Cant start the car from that either.

Just seems to me to be another thing to lose, or get stolen.

If I'm out and about in the other car for example, and someone breaks in to my house and finds the key card, they also could be away with the car.
Logical - thanks.
Appreciate 0