Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Latest software version

11-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #89
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
It's amazing for a premium brand to be so unaware of what is actually going on regarding their own products and what's even worse is the lack of ability to actual understand what someone is actually saying to them. It's like they just speed read it, take a few key words like map and update and ignored the actual content of the message.
This is common in a lot of corporations. British Airways are well-known for replying to customer complaints with completely irrelevent replies, such as issues with lost baggage receiving a response from BA starting with, "sorry to hear your in-flight meal was sub-standard". It's almost like a disgruntled employee is doing it on purpose.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #90
ADIUK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30e M Sport 2020

Garage List
Angry

For the last few days I keep getting a text alert on BMW connected app.

It says you have 10 days to download a Software Update !

Click on it and I get a spinning wheel that stays like that for hours.
Go back into the app and it says no upgrade available
Same for the car display.

Booked in tomorrow at BMW "Fast track" service for them to investigate.

Will report back. Currently on 2019-11
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #91
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Touring (2023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
Mine has 7.2020.48 with no Cloud maps ....
My upgrade went reasonably well OTA - it failed first time (I think because my engine was still too hot) but then 2 days later it offered the upgrade, so I set it going, locked the car up and left it 30 mins. Came back and all done.

I can't say it looks much different. I did try Apple Maps for navigation to see how they looked and they worked really well but I prefer the BMW ones.

Can anyone tell me what the "Cloud Maps" are ? I read it as if the traffic information etc comes from the cloud but I wasn't expecting the maps themselves to look different, and they don't !
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #92
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6WAF View Post

Can anyone tell me what the "Cloud Maps" are ? I read it as if the traffic information etc comes from the cloud but I wasn't expecting the maps themselves to look different, and they don't !
Pretty much that to be honest, supposedly adds some features regarding destination, pictures, restaurants, parking etc, but the actual maps look the same from what I can see, not used it for navigation since the update, just a quick scroll through the map & settings.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #93
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzie’s BM View Post
So why are some 330e drivers in the UK receiving the latest OTA update and others aren’t?

I’m still on 11/2019.70

I’m waiting too. I think we both have last quarter 2019 cars if that makes any difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #94
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
It's amazing for a premium brand to be so unaware of what is actually going on regarding their own products and what's even worse is the lack of ability to actual understand what someone is actually saying to them. It's like they just speed read it, take a few key words like map and update and ignored the actual content of the message.
What is this premium key you speak of
Appreciate 1
Keith_C179.00
      11-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #95
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

I'm also stuck on the notification to install. I had this same issue back in July on the last OTA and going for a good long schlep in the car to charge the battery sorted it, however this time although I have NOT driven for as long or as continuous as then but still what I would reckon as a decent distance, is not working to force the update to start.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #96
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Jumping in late here having not read the entire thread...... so sorry if pointing out the obvious!
However, those saying it doesn’t install or won’t install, have you started your car!?

This happened to me, it wouldn’t do anything, or stuck, then I realised it only worked when the engine was on, so sat on the drive and started the car and the OTA update worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #97
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy78 View Post
Jumping in late here having not read the entire thread...... so sorry if pointing out the obvious!
However, those saying it doesn’t install or won’t install, have you started your car!?

This happened to me, it wouldn’t do anything, or stuck, then I realised it only worked when the engine was on, so sat on the drive and started the car and the OTA update worked.
It's now 4 days since it downloaded the update. I'm driving the car daily so yes, I have started the car
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:23 AM   #98
3george
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2021 F40 128ti

Please note folks - this update reset my auto start stop - turned it back on when previously it was set to remember last state ( normally off ) - Bimmercode sorted that one.........
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:48 AM   #99
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Touring (2023)

Start stop stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3george View Post
Please note folks - this update reset my auto start stop - turned it back on when previously it was set to remember last state ( normally off ) - Bimmercode sorted that one.........
Funny, it seemed to do the opposite to mine. Start Stop is normally active but the first (15 mile) journey after the update it did not operate at all (i.e. engine did not stop). Since then only done short drives to work where I barely stop anyway so not noticed it working but it may not have had the opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #100
ADIUK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30e M Sport 2020

Garage List
Well that was a waste of time

Upon arrival they now tell me they need the car for a full day to upgrade the software.
I can't be without transport for a day and no loan vehicles available till mid December.

Asked why a full day when my last OTA upgrade took about 20 minutes.
Said their process is different...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #101
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIUK View Post
Well that was a waste of time

Upon arrival they now tell me they need the car for a full day to upgrade the software.
I can't be without transport for a day and no loan vehicles available till mid December.

Asked why a full day when my last OTA upgrade took about 20 minutes.
Said their process is different...
They just have to plug in the car and open ista+ Software update once started should take around 1 hour, especially on a new car where there will be fewer modules to update.

I dropped mine off at 8:20am and it was done by 10.30 the other week
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #102
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

After doing a long drive yesterday, the update alert appeared on my phone. I popped out to the supermarket later in the day and when I parked, on turning off the ignition I got prompted to do the install, but it warned that the car couldn’t be driven for 20 minutes. I hit the ‘do later’ option, expecting to be able to kick it off when I got home but it didn’t give the option.

Been out again today and still no sign of the update installation. Anyone else have this? Not sure how to get the message back. iPhone app thinks the transfer is complete pending install.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #103
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
After doing a long drive yesterday, the update alert appeared on my phone. I popped out to the supermarket later in the day and when I parked, on turning off the ignition I got prompted to do the install, but it warned that the car couldn’t be driven for 20 minutes. I hit the ‘do later’ option, expecting to be able to kick it off when I got home but it didn’t give the option.

Been out again today and still no sign of the update installation. Anyone else have this? Not sure how to get the message back. iPhone app thinks the transfer is complete pending install.
Have you checked in the vehicle settings under update and see if you can kick start it from there?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #104
newway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
I'm also stuck on the notification to install. I had this same issue back in July on the last OTA and going for a good long schlep in the car to charge the battery sorted it, however this time although I have NOT driven for as long or as continuous as then but still what I would reckon as a decent distance, is not working to force the update to start.
I find BMW's OTA update battery condition very harsh. Like many after my OTA preparation completed I've been waiting for the notification for update over 2 days. After charging my car battery to full I finally got the notification this morning! (Note I did not need to start the engine to receive the message).

based on my estimation my battery level was at least 75% before the charge, which means your battery must be nearly full in order to start the update.

Last edited by newway; 11-13-2020 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
srbs73534.50
      11-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #105
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

Back at the Garage

Well, after the third time that the passenger side mirror stopped working, (leave if a few hours and it fixes itself) I’m on my way back to the garage today to get it sorted along with the software update.

I’ve printed off the release notes from BMW’s website for the two latest updates for my car just in case they say there’s no new updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 03:44 AM   #106
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Ok, so after 5 days of waiting and 50 mile drive the other day to charge the battery with no luck, I got my hands on a charger.
It was charging for good few hours before it indicated full charge. Notification appeared this morning without starting the engine. All done in about 10 minutes.

Upgraded from 07/2020.48 to 07/2020.54
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
srbs73534.50
      11-11-2020, 04:21 AM   #107
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks newway & hamera .

That’s a good shout and could well explain it as I’d only done 4 miles in 24 hours since I deferred the install. I’ve just stuck it on charge so will give it 8 hours and see if it prompts me again.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #108
Vilus
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

After reading all the above I finally managed to get my March 2019 330i to update to 07/2020.54 this afternoon. Finally got rid of the annoying App notification on my phone that the upgrade was not complete. It sat there for a week, and despite making two 70 mile journeys on consecutive days it did not activate. After reading the above thread I purchased a CTEK and after a few hours on charge it upgraded as soon as I disconnected the charger.

I was particularly annoyed with this upgrade as I asked my local BMW dealer in Canterbury if they could do it for me a month ago when they had the car in for it's first service and track rod recall. In a very rude manner I was told the upgrade was not necessary for my car and they would charge me for it if it was! I would eventually receive the update OTA when it 'trickled down' to me.
Wasn't the fact they had not done it, just their condescending attitude. I left the dealership vowing never to return and contemplating selling the car and going back to Mercedes! Upon reflection I will wait and see what the 2021 C Class looks like as I do really like my G20.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #109
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

What is the latest dealer software version? I have the latest OTA update but my car is going in to the dealer tomorrow for the recall and to have them look at my phone dropping connection to the car. To be fair it hasn't happened since the OTA update last week.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #110
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
Thanks newway & hamera .
That’s a good shout and could well explain it as I’d only done 4 miles in 24 hours since I deferred the install. I’ve just stuck it on charge so will give it 8 hours and see if it prompts me again.
Charge did the trick. Update popped up as soon as i turned the ignition on after charging all afternoon. Was a bit surprised by some of the settings that get wiped e.g. Journey info, speed warning, cruise +/- settings etc.

Looks like it wiped the coding I’ve done as comfort plus has gone. Will look to add Lane Change Assist back at the weekend.
Appreciate 1
hamera441.50