Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Tyre Insurance (3Yr) / Cosmetic Insurance recommended?

07-20-2021, 05:06 AM   #1
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e xdrive

BMW Tyre Insurance (3Yr) / Cosmetic Insurance recommended?

Hi As per title
Based in Ireland and Dealer offering tyre and cosmetic damage insurance on new car but not sure if many owners on here have availed of this and what their thoughts are on it... waste of money or worth it?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 05:13 AM   #2
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

To be honest, I think you'll get a mixed bag of responses from those that swear by it, and those that think its a total waste of money.

All I would say is dont just buy the Dealer-offered policies. If you are tempted to get the cover, then shop around. It will probably be much cheaper.
      07-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #3
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

thanks
just reading the cosmetic ins. booklet available on line and dosesnt give me much confidence as unclear on number of claims possible of 3 yr period etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

If BMW are offering a service you're more than likely to find a similar service online that is much cheaper whether it be GAP, tyre, wheel or bodywork insurance. What you have to work out is the insurance worth it.

The only one I would personally recommend is GAP insurance if not buying new, I have wheel and bodywork insurance and have one front wheel with kerb rash and still haven't sorted it 12 months later and numerous stone chips on bonnet and not had them looked at. OK, covid lockdown didn't help matters but in 18 months I've damaged one wheel and I'm starting to wonder whether my policy is worth it.

In 19,000 plus miles I haven't had a puncture and to be fair, I can't remember the last time I did so I have never took out tyre insurance, I'd just replace if and when necessary. Saying that, I don't know how much they charge for the tyre insurance.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
Davey330i
DaveyM340i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

With the minor cosmetic and alloy insurance I have come to the conclusion it depends on the level of detail/ quality you are offer. As has been mentioned it is a mixed bag. I got mine included in a deal and have used it twice on the front left alloy. When it happened I was happy to have it as a cheap quick fix. To me the repair looks fine to the eye and I can't notice it. But when a guy came the second time he spotted exactly where the original repair so like all smart repairs it probably won't be 100%. The only way to do that with the diamond cut ones is remove them and do it probably. But if the price is good then it could be useful to have
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
nil98
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i G21 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey330i View Post
With the minor cosmetic and alloy insurance I have come to the conclusion it depends on the level of detail/ quality you are offer. As has been mentioned it is a mixed bag. I got mine included in a deal and have used it twice on the front left alloy. When it happened I was happy to have it as a cheap quick fix. To me the repair looks fine to the eye and I can't notice it. But when a guy came the second time he spotted exactly where the original repair so like all smart repairs it probably won't be 100%. The only way to do that with the diamond cut ones is remove them and do it probably. But if the price is good then it could be useful to have
I used Motoreasy for the gap and wheel insurance as bmw prices for gap especially were crazy. I've claimed once on the wheel policy already and it was excellent. Hopefully never have to claim on GAP!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:30 AM   #7
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

thanks Guys
I realise it is mixed bag ....
prices quoted are as below

Protect your investment
Shortfall (3yr RTI) €389.00
Tyre Insurance (3Yr) €399.00
Cosmetic Insurance €319.00
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:09 AM   #8
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

In comparison, all taken out end of Jan 2020.

GAP Insurance, 4 years RTI of £32,840 - £211.17. That was with GAPInsurance.

Alloy Wheel Ins, 3 yrs £199. That was with Tidy Alloys.
Claim limit: Cover for ALL types & size of Alloy Wheels £200 per repair £2,000 maximum claim limit

Cosmetic Insurance, 3 yrs £190. That was with Tidy Alloys.
Claim limit: £250 per claim, £3,000 maximum claim limit, £10 excess per claim
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
In comparison, all taken out end of Jan 2020.

GAP Insurance, 4 years RTI of £32,840 - £211.17. That was with GAPInsurance.

Alloy Wheel Ins, 3 yrs £199. That was with Tidy Alloys.
Claim limit: Cover for ALL types & size of Alloy Wheels £200 per repair £2,000 maximum claim limit

Cosmetic Insurance, 3 yrs £190. That was with Tidy Alloys.
Claim limit: £250 per claim, £3,000 maximum claim limit, £10 excess per claim
Good to have reference and for others considering similar . thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 04:20 AM   #10
Froggie401
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport

I am also in Ireland. I got the 'scratch and dent' insurance last year with my new G20 and it's the best thing I did. Unfortunately, I have no off street parking and live on a narrow street. As a result I have had several minor incidents where other cars have scraped/banged off my car.

I have had 6 successful claims and the smart repairs have been done to a very high standard. The policy cost me €320.00. I'm allowed 15 claims in 36 months. If the smart repair cannot be carried out there is a €300 body shop contribution, which I have also availed of.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 04:39 AM   #11
330 bimmerman
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie401 View Post
I am also in Ireland. I got the 'scratch and dent' insurance last year with my new G20 and it's the best thing I did. Unfortunately, I have no off street parking and live on a narrow street. As a result I have had several minor incidents where other cars have scraped/banged off my car.

I have had 6 successful claims and the smart repairs have been done to a very high standard. The policy cost me €320.00. I'm allowed 15 claims in 36 months. If the smart repair cannot be carried out there is a €300 body shop contribution, which I have also availed of.
'Scratch and dent' insurance is that BMW cosmetic insurance or independent?

You live in a challenging environment - I certainly would hope not to have 6 claims in a year but at least it paid for itself with you
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #12
Froggie401
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330 bimmerman View Post
'Scratch and dent' insurance is that BMW cosmetic insurance or independent?

You live in a challenging environment - I certainly would hope not to have 6 claims in a year but at least it paid for itself with you
Exactly it's the BMW cosmetic repair. It's very upsetting to see your brand new car damaged by someone else so having the insurance really lessened the blow.

Luckily, I am moving to new house soon with a driveway!
Appreciate 0