Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Finally got my new G21 so happy

07-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #23
Pezzer4529
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 3.0d M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw1967 View Post
Picked her up today

3TFB G21 M340d xDrive Touring B57 3.0d
C31 Portimao Blue
MANL Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather

Options
Z0C Visibility Pack
5AC High-Beam Assistant
5AZ Laserlights
Z0T Technology Plus Pack
5AU Driving Assistant Professional
5DN Parking Assistant Plus
610 Head-Up Display
688 Harman/Kardon Surround Sound AudioSystem
6DR Drive Recorder
6NW Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging
6U8 Gesture Control
6WD WiFi Hotspot
ZBK Shadowline
1PP 19" 791 M Double-spoke Jet Black Alloy Wheels with RFT
3BE Black mirror caps
3MF BMW Individual Lights Shadow Line
7M9 BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents
ZGX Comfort Plus Pack
248 Heated Steering Wheel
322 Comfort Access
418 Extended Storage Contents
459 Electric Memory Seats
488 Front Lumbar Support
493 Additional Storage Compartment
3M2 M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers
402 Panoramic Glass Sunroof
4KC Ash Grey-brown Interior Trim
711 Front M Sport Seats
Looks like you collected from Stoke. 🤔
Appreciate 1
njw1967616.00
      07-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Seems funny all this politics about fossil fuel vehicles, no one is considering the environmental impact of Lithium Mining and the fact that it is currently using more Diesel than the whole of the USA in a year just to mine enough Lithium to produce 250,000 EV car batteries, 17.5 tons of carbon dioxide emissions just to produce one Tesla battery how can this be green motoring ??? not to mention the batteries are not recyclable when depleted.
What happens when we run out of Lithium ? what do we do with the contaminated waste ? how do we control the pollution produced during the toxic process of making the cells?
how how about a 10k bill every 8 years for a new battery? Why are we still charging green cars with fossil fuels ?

This is only the tip of the iceberg and is driven by big greedy businesses blinding people into thinking its GREEN, we are being forced into a new technology that is currently causing more pollution than any fossil fuel vehicles at the cost of raping third world landscapes and habitats as well as child slavery.

Its fine for us in the Western world its making us greener but without consideration for what we cannot see.

I don't think fossil fuels will be leaving us anytime soon

If we want to make an impact on Co2 emissions stop farming Beef for meat the biggest producer of Co2 in the world, I would give up steak if it made a difference.
Hmmm, I hadn't heard about the diesel used to extract the lithium, but of course it make sense. And yes, the battery replacement cost is horrendous. I do think that the days of buying a car as opposed to leasing is pretty fast approaching. I'm not sure I'd buy an electric car. I'm also waiting for the alternatives to sort themselves out before getting rid of my ICE vehicles.

I saw this video which was really fascinating (well at least to me). Boils down to most EV cars do c. 500 hours a year. Some JCB products around the world do double shifts and rack up 5000 hours use a year. Seeing as there are c 8500 hours a year, electric and recharging doesn't work if you use the thing all day, everyday. Also costs and weight to be taken into account for commercial vehicles.

07-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #25
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_M340i View Post
I was the same as you, initially considered an m340d but with the politics and potential lower resale value opted for the m340i. Roll on the end of September for mine to arrive!

I'm also a big petrol head and I've never owned a diesel so that also played a part. Got to love the sound of the i6 with a decent exhaust too haha.
Seems funny all this politics about fossil fuel vehicles, no one is considering the environmental impact of Lithium Mining and the fact that it is currently using more Diesel than the whole of the USA in a year just to mine enough Lithium to produce 250,000 EV car batteries, 17.5 tons of carbon dioxide emissions just to produce one Tesla battery how can this be green motoring ??? not to mention the batteries are not recyclable when depleted.
What happens when we run out of Lithium ? what do we do with the contaminated waste ? how do we control the pollution produced during the toxic process of making the cells?
how how about a 10k bill every 8 years for a new battery? Why are we still charging green cars with fossil fuels ?

This is only the tip of the iceberg and is driven by big greedy businesses blinding people into thinking its GREEN, we are being forced into a new technology that is currently causing more pollution than any fossil fuel vehicles at the cost of raping third world landscapes and habitats as well as child slavery.

Its fine for us in the Western world its making us greener but without consideration for what we cannot see.

I don't think fossil fuels will be leaving us anytime soon

If we want to make an impact on Co2 emissions stop farming Beef for meat the biggest producer of Co2 in the world, I would give up steak if it made a difference.
I'll be going for a fillet steak with peppercorn sauce on your behalf tonight...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
njw1967616.00
      07-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #26
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I've had a m340i saloon on loan for two weeks loved the car but it did seem very busy and a bit too snatchy on take up, the dirty diesel is butter smooth by comparison and totally effortless the torque is insane
That's interesting, at times I've also found my M340i to be a little snatchy on take-up; for example, if I've lifted my foot approaching a roundabout - but then see a gap I can slot in to - occasionally it can feel a touch jerky when I go back on the throttle. Other than a short test drive I've never driven another M340i and was just assuming it was bug on mine that needed fixing - however, perhaps not?

Compared to my F31 335d I'd also say the M340i is more inclined to drop a gear at times - for example, if you've been slowed by someone pulling out on a dual carriageway and want to regain your cruising speed when they pull back to the inside lane, sometimes the petrol will change down for a brief time and then change up again whereas the diesel never felt the need to change down. It's not a major issue - and for me on balance the positives with the petrol outweigh the negatives - but once you've had the effortless torque of the diesel it is something you miss on occasion!
Appreciate 1
njw1967616.00
      07-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #27
kerman19
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
That's interesting, at times I've also found my M340i to be a little snatchy on take-up; for example, if I've lifted my foot approaching a roundabout - but then see a gap I can slot in to - occasionally it can feel a touch jerky when I go back on the throttle. Other than a short test drive I've never driven another M340i and was just assuming it was bug on mine that needed fixing - however, perhaps not?

Compared to my F31 335d I'd also say the M340i is more inclined to drop a gear at times - for example, if you've been slowed by someone pulling out on a dual carriageway and want to regain your cruising speed when they pull back to the inside lane, sometimes the petrol will change down for a brief time and then change up again whereas the diesel never felt the need to change down. It's not a major issue - and for me on balance the positives with the petrol outweigh the negatives - but once you've had the effortless torque of the diesel it is something you miss on occasion!
Try knocking your knob over to the left, it prevents (at least on the m340d) the stop/start function from kicking in, which is by far the largest contributor to the jerkiness when rolling up off throttle to a roundabout or junction.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:45 AM   #28
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerman19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post

Try knocking your knob over to the left, it prevents (at least on the m340d) the stop/start function from kicking in, which is by far the largest contributor to the jerkiness when rolling up off throttle to a roundabout or junction.
I always switch stop/start off immediately after I start the car so it's not that! And in any event the slight snatch/jerkiness I've detected happens when the car's still moving so stop/start wouldn't be intervening anyway (at least not on my car that doesn't have the mild hybrid engine).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:10 AM   #29
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_M340i View Post
I was the same as you, initially considered an m340d but with the politics and potential lower resale value opted for the m340i. Roll on the end of September for mine to arrive!

I'm also a big petrol head and I've never owned a diesel so that also played a part. Got to love the sound of the i6 with a decent exhaust too haha.
Same here, was so so tempted by the diesel, I still say now that they probably make more sense in this type of car (definitely in a 5 series)

But the noise of the petrol 6, and how it pulls to the redline etc, the diesel simply can’t do.. I do enjoy really DRIVING the car at times and the diesel is a bit boring doing that. I bought an e90 335d years ago when they were the latest greatest thing and sold it in no time as it was a bit boring. Very effective, but boring.

So played it safe with petrol.
Appreciate 1
njw1967616.00
      07-27-2021, 04:27 AM   #30
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer4529 View Post
Looks like you collected from Stoke. 🤔
Yes mate
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmots View Post
Same here, was so so tempted by the diesel, I still say now that they probably make more sense in this type of car (definitely in a 5 series)

But the noise of the petrol 6, and how it pulls to the redline etc, the diesel simply can’t do.. I do enjoy really DRIVING the car at times and the diesel is a bit boring doing that. I bought an e90 335d years ago when they were the latest greatest thing and sold it in no time as it was a bit boring. Very effective, but boring.

So played it safe with petrol.
I agree - my F31 335d was a very good car but to me the diesel always felt like a tool to do a job rather than something to be enjoyed. As diesels go it's one of the best around - and I daresay the latest incarnation in the M340d is even better than the one I had in my F31 - but for how I use the car and the driving I do I'm happy I chose the petrol (although the M340d wasn't available as an alternative anyway at the time I ordered mine!).

That said I wouldn't knock anyone for choosing the diesel and I might come to a different conclusion myself if I was still doing lots of miles and things like range was more important; however, that's not an issue for me nowadays...
Appreciate 1
njw1967616.00