Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra or Crystal Serum Light?

07-27-2021, 06:42 AM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra or Crystal Serum Light?

Considering all paint protection options at present and would appreciate different views on which of the above two products owners find to be better?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I cant compare directly as only ever had one of them, but I am on my third car with CSL. Its substantially cheaper which is a good start, and the people I have used to do my car (on recommendation) were not authorised retailers and so couldnt apply the ultra. But my view was the people applying it and looking after my car going forward (as they do) was more important than the product...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I’m looking at both options and would have the EXO on top. I suppose the bit that spooks me is Ultra can only be removed with sanding off, not that I can foresee any reason to do that unless the panel was damaged and then it would be a repaint anyway.
It’s what to do about scratching and the inability to be able to polish out?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I’m looking at both options and would have the EXO on top. I suppose the bit that spooks me is Ultra can only be removed with sanding off, not that I can foresee any reason to do that unless the panel was damaged and then it would be a repaint anyway.
It’s what to do about scratching and the inability to be able to polish out?
I dont look after my own car so whatever it needed would be a body shop job and they can solve that problem.... although it would need to go back to the detailer for the Crystal Serum to be reapplied in either circumstance....

For me, I'm unlikely to keep my car more than 2 to 3 years, and its about making the car stay cleaner longer and be easier to clean, I am not massively concerned about the product....
Appreciate 1
bmnut770.50
      07-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

That makes sense. I appreciate your comments!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I had csl with exo on top for my old 340 and it worked well but cost obviously.

For my new one I haven't bothered and gave it a hand polish then some exo v3. I am now using Maguires ceramic wax spray.

I know it's not actually a ceramic but water beads like crazy and once you have put the base layer and 2nd coat on a top up every few washes means it looks great. Spray on whilst wet and jet wash off.

I am going to do the same with my wife's new car and save the 500 quid as to be honest so long as there is some protection on the paint and it looks good I'm not too bothered. Decent job from the factory in both instances as well with no visible swirl marks.
Appreciate 1
bmnut770.50
      07-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I had csl with exo on top for my old 340 and it worked well but cost obviously.

For my new one I haven't bothered and gave it a hand polish then some exo v3. I am now using Maguires ceramic wax spray.

I know it's not actually a ceramic but water beads like crazy and once you have put the base layer and 2nd coat on a top up every few washes means it looks great. Spray on whilst wet and jet wash off.

I am going to do the same with my wife's new car and save the 500 quid as to be honest so long as there is some protection on the paint and it looks good I'm not too bothered. Decent job from the factory in both instances as well with no visible swirl marks.
A sensible balance and if you are happy, the right decision.
Appreciate 1
bmnut770.50
      07-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #8
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I applied CSL and Exo on my Mineral White G20. I did it mainly because the car is white and I want it to look clean as much as possible, although I usually wash the car regularly.

It was difficult applying a clear liquid onto white paint. I was snowblind by the end of it. I’m glad I’ve done it and won’t need to reapply CSL before the lease is up, but don’t think I’d do it again. I used C2V3 on my F36 and would probably choose that next time.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
I applied CSL and Exo on my Mineral White G20. I did it mainly because the car is white and I want it to look clean as much as possible, although I usually wash the car regularly.

It was difficult applying a clear liquid onto white paint. I was snowblind by the end of it. I’m glad I’ve done it and won’t need to reapply CSL before the lease is up, but don’t think I’d do it again. I used C2V3 on my F36 and would probably choose that next time.
On your G20 did you get any scratches you needed to deal with and how did you do it if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On your G20 did you get any scratches you needed to deal with and how did you do it if I may ask?
Yes, there were a few, but thankfully not too bad. It didn’t require a DA polish.

First I washed the car (Meguiar’s Shampoo Plus) followed by a spray of Bilt Hamber Korrosol (fallout remover). Rinsed, then washed again and dried.

I then used Meguiars Scratch X to remove any swirls, followed by GTechniq Panel Wipe before applying the CSL (let that cure for a few hours) followed by 2 coats of Exo. A full day’s work!

Previous BMW's:
Appreciate 1
bmnut770.50
      07-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there were a few, but thankfully not too bad. It didn’t require a DA polish.

First I washed the car (Meguiar’s Shampoo Plus) followed by a spray of Bilt Hamber Korrosol (fallout remover). Rinsed, then washed again and dried.

I then used Meguiars Scratch X to remove any swirls, followed by GTechniq Panel Wipe before applying the CSL (let that cure for a few hours) followed by 2 coats of Exo. A full day’s work!
Wow! That certainly sounded like a full days work!
Thank you very much for that, I was wondering how to deal with scratching on the EXO coating, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #12
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow! That certainly sounded like a full days work!
Thank you very much for that, I was wondering how to deal with scratching on the EXO coating, much appreciated.
I was referring to swirls in the lacquer. I’m not sure how you deal with swirls in EXO. I always wash with a lambs wool wash mitt and dry with microfibre towels.

I was planning to apply Easy Coat (the liquid you hose on) before the winter.

Previous BMW's:
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #13
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to swirls in the lacquer. I’m not sure how you deal with swirls in EXO. I always wash with a lambs wool wash mitt and dry with microfibre towels.

I was planning to apply Easy Coat (the liquid you hose on) before the winter.
Sorry my mistake I misconstrued your response! I was curious how to deal with any scratches after all the paintwork treatment had been applied.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
b19rak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 M340i

I got some experience direct from the Gtechniq owner on this. I bought his Mini JCW of him in 2019. It had the absolute top Crystal Serum applied. Amazing stuff, honestly. Car looked immaculate all the time and hardly needed a wash especially when it rained. Couldn’t recommend it enough.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bmnut770.50
      07-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #15
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b19rak View Post
I got some experience direct from the Gtechniq owner on this. I bought his Mini JCW of him in 2019. It had the absolute top Crystal Serum applied. Amazing stuff, honestly. Car looked immaculate all the time and hardly needed a wash especially when it rained. Couldn’t recommend it enough.
Thank you for that, it's really helpful and is a useful indication of its durability.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:04 AM   #16
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

If you haven't seen it have a look at the latter pages on the thread below as the subject was discussed a little bit on there:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1798278&page=3

My personal view is you just need to be clear what you want/expect a ceramic coating to do. In my experience it does make the car easier to clean but even with Ultra you'll still get swirls and if and when you do they're not as easy to resolve as they are with a more conventional wax...
Appreciate 1
bmnut770.50
      07-28-2021, 03:34 AM   #17
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
If you haven't seen it have a look at the latter pages on the thread below as the subject was discussed a little bit on there:

My personal view is you just need to be clear what you want/expect a ceramic coating to do. In my experience it does make the car easier to clean but even with Ultra you'll still get swirls and if and when you do they're not as easy to resolve as they are with a more conventional wax...
I tend to this view too! Ceramic coatings can be a time saver but unsure that they actually produce the results that you might be after. There again, many users are entirely content. I was slightly underwhelmed when I used a valeted ceramic coating on a previous car and have decided to stick with a perhaps more flexible glaze, sealant and wax solution, depending upon how I feel. There again, I have the time and most others, not of an exalted age, don't.

Last edited by RAFats; 07-28-2021 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
bmnut770.50
      07-28-2021, 04:42 AM   #18
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
I had full Xpel PPF applied to my car, with the Gteq Ultra ontop- It still looks brand new to this day and is so so easy to wash. I can't say weather that's the PPF helping or the coating, but both combined nothing clings to the car even if you leave it dirty for weeks.

Their C5 wheel coating is brilliant as is the glass G1

I can thoroughly recommend Azuri car care in Stevanage, he does all my vehicles and has brilliant workmanship.
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
bmnut770.50
      07-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM13RS View Post
I had full Xpel PPF applied to my car, with the Gteq Ultra ontop- It still looks brand new to this day and is so so easy to wash. I can't say weather that's the PPF helping or the coating, but both combined nothing clings to the car even if you leave it dirty for weeks.

Their C5 wheel coating is brilliant as is the glass G1

I can thoroughly recommend Azuri car care in Stevanage, he does all my vehicles and has brilliant workmanship.
I think the solution you've described is almost certainly the best if you want to a finish that looks good - and is relatively easy to keep clean - whilst also avoiding swirls and light scratches; in my experience even a top range ceramic coating like Ultra won't achieve that on its own but in conjunction with PPF it probably will (or at least it will give you the best chance). I imagine it wasn't especially cheap though?!

Agree on the wheel and glass protection as well - never had alloys that have been so easy to keep clean!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post

Thanks for that JNW1, I remember reading that post a while back but had forgotten about it until you reminded me! Much appreciated, as have all the comments been from everyone since I posted this thread.

I'm now mulling over various options before making a final decision as to which course I will take and reading the views of others has been a useful exercise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #21
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that JNW1, I remember reading that post a while back but had forgotten about it until you reminded me! Much appreciated, as have all the comments been from everyone since I posted this thread.

I'm now mulling over various options before making a final decision as to which course I will take and reading the views of others has been a useful exercise.
As mentioned above I mulled over all the comments from all you guys and made the decision to go with Ultra and the results are spectacular!

Thanks to all for your various inputs and comments, yet again reinforces how good this forum is for us owners!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #22
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As mentioned above I mulled over all the comments from all you guys and made the decision to go with Ultra and the results are spectacular!
Good stuff but now.....

Appreciate 0