Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Presenting the BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept (G22)!

09-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #705
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
the car is beautiful if you take out the front grille. I hope a last minute change of mind from all the negative sentiments from the public will cause BMW to change the front end. One thing BMW does a little better than MB and Audi is listen to it's customers.
It seems like some of you guys won't accept that this IS the new face of BMW until we're two years deep into the model run. This design language will touch the i4, 4, 2, 2GC, M2/3/4, and some other E-models. Accept it!
Embrace the twin asscheeks grill!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #706
elusivegene
Rep
Drives: F83 LCI

Guys, Chinese don't like this grille as much as you do, and I'll hold onto my F83 as long as possible
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      09-11-2019, 02:25 AM   #707
ZERO922
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Is the BMW designer all right?
Appreciate 3
swanson733.00
      09-11-2019, 02:30 AM   #708
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Damn all prior front ends look so dated now. Seeing them like this really highlights that it was time for a major change. At his current time and into the future no doubt I prefer the new concept.
I feel the same way. SCOTT26 alluded to this as well. It'll be interesting to see how many people register for the forum around the time that the new cars are made available to the public with threads titled, "New to BMW and I just picked up my new 4/M3/M4...." ...or, "Long time lurker, but I finally joined the family. Pics of my new 4/M3/M4."
I know many people will get it, but I went back to the concept f32 reveal and the forum was generally very positive. It was well received and BMW really pumped out the amazing f82. Really not sure if the g8x will do as well in the future.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=775876
I agree about the reception. That I cannot dispute, but people well above our respective pay grades obviously saw something in the stats. This is a major move by BMW; a move that wasn't whimsical (...which is another reason why comments about this concept being a ruse, a joke....or a ploy confound me). This isn't a game. This is a major automotive marquee that was used to smashing the completion for at least 10 years straight, only to witness Mercedes dominate them the last three years (...and thankfully the X SAV's and the new 7 have helped claw back some market share). That is not something this company is accustomed to. Something had to change.
Maybe they should start with building better cars. :

Most of their lineup sucks to be honest. I walk into dealerships now and just shake my head. My wife's X3 does the job buts it's not a great car. It's the baby car that my wife wanted.

Beaver grilles will NOT help BMW.
Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111224.00
swanson733.00
      09-11-2019, 02:41 AM   #709
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Damn all prior front ends look so dated now. Seeing them like this really highlights that it was time for a major change. At his current time and into the future no doubt I prefer the new concept.
I feel the same way. SCOTT26 alluded to this as well. It'll be interesting to see how many people register for the forum around the time that the new cars are made available to the public with threads titled, "New to BMW and I just picked up my new 4/M3/M4...." ...or, "Long time lurker, but I finally joined the family. Pics of my new 4/M3/M4."
I know many people will get it, but I went back to the concept f32 reveal and the forum was generally very positive. It was well received and BMW really pumped out the amazing f82. Really not sure if the g8x will do as well in the future.

I agree about the reception. That I cannot dispute, but people well above our respective pay grades obviously saw something in the stats. This is a major move by BMW; a move that wasn't whimsical (...which is another reason why comments about this concept being a ruse, a joke....or a ploy confound me). This isn't a game. This is a major automotive marquee that was used to smashing the completion for at least 10 years straight, only to witness Mercedes dominate them the last three years (...and thankfully the X SAV's and the new 7 have helped claw back some market share). That is not something this company is accustomed to. Something had to change.

Most of their lineup sucks to be honest. I walk into dealerships now and just shake my head. My wife's X3 does the job buts it's not a great car. It's the baby car that my wife wanted.

...and maybe BMW's previous approach was its own worst enemy.

I feel the same way that you do when I walk into a dealership now. Nothing is really that inspiring to me outside of the ///M3 and ///M4, and to a lesser degree, the ///M2C. Gone are the days where I liked nearly every model......but I'm only one buyer. I'm not sure where the chasm began, but somewhere, somehow BMW shifted into a phase of largely uninspiring designs. Even the new 3 is simply boring to me. This new 4 is striking; it is going to grab your attention for better or for worse (....of course most on this forum will say the latter). It will be a conversation piece. It will be aggressive. I don't love it, but I do have an appreciation for it.......more today than I did upon initially seeing the renders. The more I look at it, the more it starts to come together for me......and I've been looking at it intermittently all day. Maybe the designer(s) went through a similar process. Who knows!?! What I do know is that this car has buzz; people are talking, albeit somewhat negatively now, but I reckon that will change. It's bold, brash.....risky, but that's part of the allure. Some ask, "Why?!?, while others simply....just......look. It takes awhile to take it all in. I looked at my F82 tonight and felt like it aged overnight. For the first time ever it felt old. Don't misinterpret that as a criticism. I love it to death, but I would be remiss if I weren't honest when I relay my thoughts to this forum. I want to see the new 4/M4 in the flesh. I'll likely stare for a significant amount of time just as I did when I first saw a YSB F80 ///M3 while awaiting the arrival of mine back in 2014. Yas had me questioning the same way this new grill does. It didn't quite sit right with me initially, but I was drawn to it. Every photo or video captured it a bit differently. I drove all the way to San Diego just to stare at that YMB F80 for over an hour. Anyways, I'm teetering on tangentiality now.
Appreciate 3
      09-11-2019, 02:44 AM   #710
Whyte_Diamonds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_luvbimmer View Post
[IMG][/IMG] A Japanese style car from BMW, or that the designer just wants to salute the good old time?!
The RCF's front end is tasteful. I don't know what the design team was smoking before they decided on this shit show of a front end. This release is what we call a boner kill. :
M Performance / Active Autowerke / RKP Carbon Fiber / Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber / PSM Dynamics Carbon Fiber / DINAN Stage 3 / Evolution of Speed / Evolution Racewerks / Wagner Tuning / Supreme Power / IND Distribution
Appreciate 2
paliknight2186.50
swanson733.00
      09-11-2019, 02:50 AM   #711
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
This is hideous, BMW have lost the plot on this one completely.
swanson733.00
      09-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #712
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I feel the same way that you do when I walk into a dealership now. Nothing is really that inspiring to me outside of the ///M3 and ///M4, and to a lesser degree, the ///M2C. Gone are the days where I liked nearly every model......but I'm only one buyer. I'm not sure where the chasm began, but somewhere, somehow BMW shifted into a phase of largely uninspiring designs. Even the new 3 is simply boring to me. This new 4 is striking; it is going to grab your attention for better or for worse (....of course most on this forum will say the latter). It will be a conversation piece. It will be aggressive. I don't love it, but I do have an appreciation for it.......more today than I did upon initially seeing the renders. The more I look at it, the more it starts to come together for me......and I've been looking at it intermittently all day. Maybe the designer(s) went through a similar process. Who knows!?! What I do know is that this car has buzz; people are talking, albeit somewhat negatively now, but I reckon that will change. It's bold, brash.....risky, but that's part of the allure. Some ask, "Why?!?, while others simply....just......look. It takes awhile to take it all in. I looked at my F82 tonight and felt like it aged overnight. For the first time ever it felt old. Don't misinterpret that as a criticism. I love it to death, but I would be remiss if I weren't honest when I relay my thoughts to this forum. I want to see the new 4/M4 in the flesh. I'll likely stare for a significant amount of time just as I did when I first saw a YSB F80 ///M3 while awaiting the arrival of mine back in 2014. Yas had me questioning the same way this new grill does. It didn't quite sit right with me initially, but I was drawn to it. Every photo or video captured it a bit differently. I drove all the way to San Diego just to stare at that YMB F80 for over an hour. Anyways, I'm teetering on tangentiality now.
Much easier to fix a color issue than a design issue.

This car might look good to A FEW people from certain angles, but once they stare at it head on, they realize it's got a beaver teeth/buttcheeks thing going for it.

Not sure why they chose to make this the only M car that has a fucked up front end, distinguished from the rest of the M lineup.

F80 generation was striking from any and all angles. I guess there was a drastic change of designers recently in the M design department.
      09-11-2019, 03:19 AM   #713
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Much easier to fix a color issue than a design issue.

This car might look good to A FEW people from certain angles, but once they stare at it head on, they realize it's got a beaver teeth/buttcheeks thing going for it.

Not sure why they chose to make this the only M car that has a fucked up front end, distinguished from the rest of the M lineup.

F80 generation was striking from any and all angles. I guess there was a drastic change of designers recently in the M design department.
Changes.....possibly. It isn't just about new designers; it's a new philosophy. It's unmistakable that this is what BMW decided to do as a company. This is their forward motion, and the cues have been there for quite some time. The front end of the new X7 looks far worse to me, but it's selling well. X1 through X7 models account for over half of BMW's total U.S. sales. Big grills are moving.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:25 AM   #714
Adris
Private First Class
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW F92 M8

Don't understand why people complaining about the grille size, there are many other car brands to choose, I don't see the problem. e.g audi a5 looks nice with chrome fence panel attached on the front
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-11-2019, 03:31 AM   #715
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
He's still in denial. There are a few that are living in an alternate reality.
Or just maybe could it be that i am not one of those people freaking out about how a grill design is on a car that is in concept mode. And maybe one of those who don't freak out about how BMW has lost its ways and yada yada ........

For once BMW has decided to not do the same thing over and over again.

But then again i like the new stuff more than the old so in that aspect people are different some people just can't let go of the past and keeps living in it, while some of us likes the new more bold design language unlike before.

I guess each and everyone to their own.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 3
clee1982796.00
JTO245246.50
BMWRL596.00
      09-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #716
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by the storm breaks View Post
Quote:
I would like some of you to explain what "looking like a BMW" means to you because every iteration of car has a more progressive look and identity. An E30 sure as hell didn't look like the E36, and the E36 didn't look like the E46, and so on. Sure, this is BMW's most controversial change, but the company has always changed.
I get it, but I guess It just feels like there should be a few more models in between before it comes to this lol. Well it really feels like it should never come to this but...

All of the grilles in your montage, with the exception of the latest concept 4, are in proportion with the rest of the front end. Grilles and light enclosures have grown in proportion together over successive models but don't look offensive because there is harmony in the design.
I have bought numerous BMWs over the years - and currently own a 4GC - because they are fast, efficient and beautifully designed. I won't be buying the latest 4 if it looks anything like this because it is not an object of beauty, plain and simple. What WERE they thinking?
      09-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #717
CompilerGuy
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I am actually warming up to the front but the side and rear are just horrendous. We lost the Hofmeister kink and the lower line of the windows is sloping up which we are not used to seeing on BMWs traditionally. That rear end is just straight up ugly, do not know what is happening with the diffuser, tail lights and the bumper so overall the rear requires a whole redesign.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:58 AM   #718
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Tone it down BMW!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:03 AM   #719
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

So do yall think the grille will keep the chunky chrome (or black or whatever) border? I think it's vital to the success of the aesthetics of the front end.

If it looks like the older bimmerpost rendering where the grills are more flush to the body, I think it would really suffer. Looks more like the grilles are pasted on instead of sculpted into the car.

SCOTT26 already mentioned that the hood line is unfortunately not going to be like the concept so it won't follow the lines of the grille. I assume it will be like the hood line on the rendering. So I think that makes it even more necessary to have the thick border on the grille with the slats sunken in. Maybe Scott can chime in since he's seen the production car. I have a bad feeling that they're gonna un-concept the grilles and make them more generic looking, just gigantic. The concept grilles look expensive as fuck lol.

Last edited by bobloblaw; 09-11-2019 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      09-11-2019, 05:07 AM   #720
ZERO922
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:07 AM   #721
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

A word from a designer on this enigmatic creation; forward to 1:01:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B2Pl05r...d=twjx4d7ei81n
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #722
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Side note, these grilles we can see through the camo look even bigger and rounder than what was on the concept. Maybe it's just the angle? Or my eyes filling in what I can't see? Optical illusion because of the horizontal slats?
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      09-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #723
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

I won't be surprised if next year we'll be seeing a Concept 2 announcing the style of the next 2er Coupé... Which, as the rumors seem to suggest, will take cues from the 3.0 CSL Hommage Concept and the 2002 Hommage Concept

Appreciate 2
ap*0.00
MPSdriver192.00
      09-11-2019, 05:53 AM   #724
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

As we move into a new era of (EV) cars. It feels strange to me that BMWs direction is to emphasise or mimic the need for massive air intake.
      09-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #725
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Great post man!
Just press the “appreciate” button instead of quoting a novel’s length post.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #726
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
well, looks like i'll be keeping the F82
F82 looks sooooo old in comparison. Dated like the E46.

New 4 series looks amazing
Are you paid to defend bmw or what?
Appreciate 1
alex23642846.50