Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i ordered!

08-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #1
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

M340i ordered!

So finally decided to go ahead and placed my order a few days ago:

Mineral Grey
Full Merino Black Leather
Every option practically ticked except laser lights and shadowline.

Expected build date around mid-September, expected delivery mid-October... can't wait!

When deciding, have to say it was a close call between the M340i and the C43 AMG.
Appreciate 6
themnmd1687.00
JustChris17424.50
      08-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
cpbandit13
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post

Mineral Grey

Expected build date around mid-September, expected delivery mid-October... can't wait!

When deciding, have to say it was a close call between the M340i and the C43 AMG.
My delivery will be the same as yours. I went with Sunset Orange. Super excited for you man!
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Ordered mine last week as well. Delivery hopefully at the end of September:

Portimao Blue
Aluminium Tetragon trim
Black with Blue stitching Vernasca Leather
Shadowline Plus Pack (to avoid the water marks issue with the Cerium Grey trim).
M Technology package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
Parking Assistant Plus
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbandit13 View Post
My delivery will be the same as yours. I went with Sunset Orange. Super excited for you man!
Nearly went for the Sunset Orange myself - looks great.

You'll love the engine and power compared to your 320i
BMW ancestry: G20 M340i, F36 440i Gran Coupe M Sport, F30 330d M Sport (RIP), F30 328i M Sport / E90 330D LCI, 330D, 325i / E46 325i, 320i / Merc 250 D AMG (listed to remind me never to buy another Merc!)
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Great to see others have ordered the M340i! I test drove the 330i and loved everything except the power, was a bit underwhelmed. So was convinced the M340i will more than satisfy my needs even without a test drive.

Quote:
Great colour! Its sure going to turn some heads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post

Portimao Blue
Aluminium Tetragon trim
Shadowline Plus Pack (to avoid the water marks issue with the Cerium Grey trim).
M Technology package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
Parking Assistant Plus
Nice! I was debating till the last minute to get the Shadowline Plus package but in the end the completely black wheels were not my preference (wouldn't have mind the grey and black you get in the 330i). Will just have to see how much maintenance the Cerium grey requires.

The M Technology package, is it only needed if you are going to take the car to the track?
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I was debating till the last minute to get the Shadowline Plus package but in the end the completely black wheels were not my preference (wouldn't have mind the grey and black you get in the 330i). Will just have to see how much maintenance the Cerium grey requires.

The M Technology package, is it only needed if you are going to take the car to the track?
Agreed. I'm not a lover of black wheels but having visited the dealer and seen the water marks on the cerium grey trim, I decided I could live with the black wheels.

There is very limited information available about the M Technology package and I spent some time researching on the internet what the pack includes. There are references to the pack also including larger brakes and when I checked on Real OEM using a US spec car, there are two brake sizes although that could just be relevant to a US spec car. However, the M Technology package is ref 33T and if you look at the following links, the "Motorsport Engineering PAckage" ref S33TA includes 374mm disks as opposed to 348mm on the other option.

No package: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2743

Motorsport Package: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2744

As I had 370mm disks on my 440i, I wanted to keep the larger brakes and thought £300 for the option was worth the gamble!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #7
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Congrats! I pick mine up Thursday build code DZACK4RZ . 8.5% off msrp plus 4K in incentives. I will post pics of course
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Congrats! I pick mine up Thursday build code DZACK4RZ . 8.5% off msrp plus 4K in incentives. I will post pics of course
Looks good on the configurator. Will look forward to seeing the photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
zoom76
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i, G80 M3 (ordered)

Quote:

Mineral Grey

Huge Congratulations! Great spec! I really toiled over the merino leather (looks great) but in the end went for this spec, it left the plant yesterday.

Dravit Grey Metallic
Aluminium Mesh Trim
Shadowline Plus
Technology Pack
Extending Storage
Lumbar Support driver and front pass
Parking Assistant Plus
Driving Assistant Pro

Hopefully get my hands on it 1 September!

Last edited by zoom76; 08-10-2019 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Spec update
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
zoom76
Rep

Quote:
Great to see others have ordered the M340i! I test drove the 330i and loved everything except the power, was a bit underwhelmed. So was convinced the M340i will more than satisfy my needs even without a test drive.

On the M Tech Pack 33T - here's the description supplied to me by the dealer - It includes increased heat capacity of the braking system and the cooling system guarantees a long lasting high performance under extreme driving conditions (similar to motorsport / especially in combination with high outside temperatures). Includes upgrades to the drive train cooling system and the M sport braking system.

Living in the UK and not planning to track the car I decided I didn't need it. Time will tell if that was a bad call. In short I think it's an extra oil cooler and bigger brake discs (as previously described). In the US you also lose run flats in favour of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and a tyre gunk kit. Not sure if that is the case in the UK.
Appreciate 1
vadimo309.00
      08-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #11
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

If you add the option on the configurator the brakes don't change size in the images of the car. Not conclusive evidence I know but I would be surprised if BMW gave you a brake disc upgrade for just £300.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #12
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Just checked with Genius and was advised that "I can confirm that the M Technology Package is an increased heat capacity of the braking system and the cooling system guarantees a long-lasting high performance under extreme driving conditions (similar to motorsport) (especially in combination with high outside temperatures).
This also includes upgrades for the drive train cooling system and the M Sport braking system."

For £300, I believe that it's worth the gamble.

There's more info in this thread about the US Spec pack which includes an upgrade to the 19" wheels which are standard in the UK: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1602609

Last edited by crazybones; 08-11-2019 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #13
zoom76
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
If you add the option on the configurator the brakes don't change size in the images of the car. Not conclusive evidence I know but I would be surprised if BMW gave you a brake disc upgrade for just £300.
In fairness my Dealer did raise an eyebrow and make the same point as you around what you'd actually get for £300. Given the additional oil cooler is specifically called out, there's not much left after that. Will be interesting to see when the first ones fitted with this upgrade arrive in the UK. As @crazybones says, if it does include the brakes then nice deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I'm not a lover of black wheels but having visited the dealer and seen the water marks on the cerium grey trim, I decided I could live with the black wheels.

There is very limited information available about the M Technology package and I spent some time researching on the internet what the pack includes. There are references to the pack also including larger brakes and when I checked on Real OEM using a US spec car, there are two brake sizes although that could just be relevant to a US spec car. However, the M Technology package is ref 33T and if you look at the following links, the "Motorsport Engineering PAckage" ref S33TA includes 374mm disks as opposed to 348mm on the other option.

No package: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2743

Motorsport Package: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_2744

As I had 370mm disks on my 440i, I wanted to keep the larger brakes and thought £300 for the option was worth the gamble!
Its a shame the package is so poorly advertised, I remember when I was building my car the pack didn't even have a description, just the title!

For £300 you can't go wrong though, I would also be surprised if the brakes are upgraded for that price, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom76 View Post
Huge Congratulations! Great spec! I really toiled over the merino leather (looks great) but in the end went for this spec, it left the plant yesterday.

Dravit Grey Metallic
Aluminium Mesh Trim
Shadowline Plus
Technology Pack
Extending Storage
Lumbar Support driver and front pass
Parking Assistant Plus
Driving Assistant Pro

Hopefully get my hands on it 1 September!
Great spec, very similar to mine. Wow 1st of September, when did you order? Surely it will be one of the first in the country.

I debated so long between Mineral and Dravit, in the end went with Mineral because I had already stretched my budget with the Merino leather.

The main reason I went Merino is for the upgraded leather dashboard, I really wanted this on my next car. Also Vernasca leather felt like a downgrade to the leather in my current car (Lexus). I can't believe BMW charge so much for proper leather on a car this expensive, should come as standard!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
zoom76
Rep

Quote:
Its a shame the package is so poorly advertised, I remember when I was building my car the pack didn't even have a description, just the title!

For £300 you can't go wrong though, I would also be surprised if the brakes are upgraded for that price, but you never know.

Great spec, very similar to mine. Wow 1st of September, when did you order? Surely it will be one of the first in the country.

I debated so long between Mineral and Dravit, in the end went with Mineral because I had already stretched my budget with the Merino leather.

The main reason I went Merino is for the upgraded leather dashboard, I really wanted this on my next car. Also Vernasca leather felt like a downgrade to the leather in my current car (Lexus). I can't believe BMW charge so much for proper leather on a car this expensive, should come as standard!
Thanks. Ordered beginning of July with build scheduled for week 32 and delivery week 35, so it will be one of the first I reckon. Will wait til 1 September so it goes on a new plate. Going by Twitter I think they started full production on 1 August, mine went code 5100 (Bodyshop Start) on 6 August about a week after 5055 (Confirmed by Production Control). It then shot through and was sat at 9000 (Departed Plant) on Saturday, 10 August. Time to forget it for a bit whilst it's on the high seas.

Mineral Grey is a lovely colour but I've got it on my current F30 so wanted a change, albeit stayed in the greys! The cost did focus my mind on other options a bit, the leather was just a touch too far. The premium pack was also a bit pricey at £1700! Have a sunroof on my F30 that gets opened less than 5 times a year so that was an easy choice. Good that I could bag the lumbar separately and not too fussed on electric memory seats as I'm the only driver. The full leather will make for a stunning cabin which you'll enjoy time and time again.

Will post some pics when I get hold of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom76 View Post
Thanks. Ordered beginning of July with build scheduled for week 32 and delivery week 35, so it will be one of the first I reckon. Will wait til 1 September so it goes on a new plate. Going by Twitter I think they started full production on 1 August, mine went code 5100 (Bodyshop Start) on 6 August about a week after 5055 (Confirmed by Production Control). It then shot through and was sat at 9000 (Departed Plant) on Saturday, 10 August. Time to forget it for a bit whilst it's on the high seas.

Mineral Grey is a lovely colour but I've got it on my current F30 so wanted a change, albeit stayed in the greys! The cost did focus my mind on other options a bit, the leather was just a touch too far. The premium pack was also a bit pricey at £1700! Have a sunroof on my F30 that gets opened less than 5 times a year so that was an easy choice. Good that I could bag the lumbar separately and not too fussed on electric memory seats as I'm the only driver. The full leather will make for a stunning cabin which you'll enjoy time and time again.

Will post some pics when I get hold of it.
Great, looking forward to the pics!

It would be good to know as well how different the car is from the US spec. I know its a bit down on power, but I've heard also the exhaust might be slightly quieter as well.

Also, apart from asking the Genius on the configurator, is there any other way you are getting those production codes and tracking your order?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #17
zoom76
Rep

Quote:
Great, looking forward to the pics!

It would be good to know as well how different the car is from the US spec. I know its a bit down on power, but I've heard also the exhaust might be slightly quieter as well.

Also, apart from asking the Genius on the configurator, is there any other way you are getting those production codes and tracking your order?
I had been reasonably restrained until by coincidence I was speaking to the dealer on the day it went in to the bodyshop and he let me know. That triggered some pestering of the Genius Team on chat over the following days to see how long it actually took to build it. Must find that restraint again now!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #18
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

So, what made you go for the Beemer over the C43?

I’m currently looking between these two as part of my options for when I change my car next year.

I’ve seen a few comments where people have said the C43 is more aggressive with a better sound whereas the Beamer is a bit more restrained.

Having experienced the AMGs at Mercedes Benz World last week as part of a corporate day, I can certainly vouch for the soundtrack - you almost don’t need a stereo system!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #19
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Do u mind telling which country u in and how much u pay for full merino? Thanks. I am in Canada. I am interested in Full merino as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #20
StevenSan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Portimao Blue
Aluminium Tetragon trim
M Technology package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
Parking Assistant Plus

the cerium grey cleans up nicely with some wax and removes any water marks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee View Post

I’m currently looking between these two as part of my options for when I change my car next year.

I’ve seen a few comments where people have said the C43 is more aggressive with a better sound whereas the Beamer is a bit more restrained.

Having experienced the AMGs at Mercedes Benz World last week as part of a corporate day, I can certainly vouch for the soundtrack - you almost don’t need a stereo system!
In my case, the differentiator was Enhanced Bluetooth. I checked a number of manufacturers including Land Rover and Audi and none offered Multipoint Bluetooth. The ability to have two phones connected at the same time and receive/make calls from either phone without switching device is a "must have" for me.

I didn't check Mercedes, but I have no intention of owning another Merc after the issues and poor dealer service with the last one.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #22
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee View Post

Several reasons:

- The C43 has a harsher ride (according to reviews). I wanted something fast but at the same time with decent levels of comfort to use daily.

- The C43, although its been face-lifted, is still based on an old platform that should be replaced in a couple of years.

- The overall reliability of the C class is not very good.

- Personally, got a very good deal on the BMW!

If its just going to be a weekend car, definitely consider the C43 (agreed the soundtrack is something else), but if you are after a daily commuter that can occasionally provide a bit of fun, go for the M340i in my opinion.
Appreciate 0