Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G26 4 Series Gran Coupe Spied!

09-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #45
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'm not sure you can fit a full set of clubs across the rear of the trunk in the new gen GC, but the last 4GC couldn't. The pockets on the side weren't as accommodating. This is a big deal for regular golfers like myself. This is another reason I view the 4GC as having less room than the 3'er sedan.

This is my F30 with a loaded full-size cart bag; Clicgear pushcart; square milk crate; and golf shoe bag... With the seats up. I couldn't do this in the last 4GC.
Attached Images

09-03-2019, 12:46 AM   #46
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
I rather get the 5 series
What now who?
4 series GC is like 50K and more I rather have 5 series man.
Not sure how one can even compare.
You should know which one you need/want before looking at the price tag.
Coupe vs. Family car.
It just sounds like „Ice cream? No thanks, I'd rather take the hotdog"
      09-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #47
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I'm not sure you can fit a full set of clubs across the rear of the trunk in the new gen GC, but the last 4GC couldn't. The pockets on the side weren't as accommodating. This is a big deal for regular golfers like myself. This is another reason I view the 4GC as having less room than the 3'er sedan.

This is my F30 with a loaded full-size cart bag; Clicgear pushcart; square milk crate; and golf shoe bag... With the seats up. I couldn't do this in the last 4GC.
Well, now try to fit a bike in a sedan, and the GC's hatch will start looking interesting. Volume alone doesn't make all the practicality in my book. All depends on the usage i suppose
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 02:19 AM   #48
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Sexy Shapes

The car’s lines look nice. Promising addition to the range on the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:17 AM   #49
pow
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320i

May be a bit offtopic: My biggest issue, how it feels to drive an "newer" BMW.
I've got an E91 Facelift diesel and you can "feel" the engine if you drive.
While driving the 2018/2019 models, it feels too smooth and not connected to my pedal.
I hope this makes any sense.
      09-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #50
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaalrasha View Post
Quote:

Well, now try to fit a bike in a sedan, and the GC's hatch will start looking interesting. Volume alone doesn't make all the practicality in my book. All depends on the usage i suppose
so true
my road bike would never fit in the boot of an f30 - and my dog wouldn't be very happy in there either
      09-03-2019, 05:37 AM   #51
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I rather get the 5 series
What now who?
4 series GC is like 50K and more I rather have 5 series man.
Not sure how one can even compare.
You should know which one you need/want before looking at the price tag.
Coupe vs. Family car.
It just sounds like "Ice cream? No thanks, I'd rather take the hotdog"
I was not just comparing the price

First coupe should have 2 doors!!!!

Sense they change it to 4 doors to have more room and the back for more room, I rather get bigger 4 door car.

And if I need more room, that's why SAV exists

The whole line up is F up to me.
JTO245246.50
M 4EVER191.00
      09-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #52
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

So you are not a fan of any GC then...
interesting. Well, well.
But even so - do NOT compare a Coupe or a Gran Coupe to a family car, please even if you don't get the concept of a sporty, yet practical car.
      09-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
So you are not a fan of any GC then...
interesting. Well, well.
But even so - do NOT compare a Coupe or a Gran Coupe to a family car, please even if you don't get the concept of a sporty, yet practical car.
For all intents and purposes though, a GC is still a family car, albeit a slightly more sporty one when compared to a standard 4 door. It's like a work boot with a more athletic toe cap and sole (...a'la the Nike SFB duty boot we use for patrol). At the end of the day it's STILL a work boot.
Appreciate 2
Miko M6648.50
JTO245246.50
      09-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #54
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
For all intents and purposes though, a GC is still a family car, albeit a slightly more sporty one when compared to a standard 4 door. It's like a work boot with a more athletic toe cap and sole (...a'la the Nike SFB duty boot we use for patrol). At the end of the day it's STILL a work boot.
It is certainly not a black & white topic, but I do not agree.
Same way of thinking would get you to Coupe not being anything more than a retarder Gran Coupe, since it is nowhere near a real sports car. Which is both true and not true.

If low CoG, much better handling, better aerodynamics and sexy looks is not something you appreciate - you might as well go for an SUV, if space is all you care about.
      09-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It is certainly not a black & white topic, but I do not agree.
Same way of thinking would get you to Coupe not being anything more than a retarder Gran Coupe, since it is nowhere near a real sports car. Which is both true and not true.

If low CoG, much better handling, better aerodynamics and sexy looks is not something you appreciate - you might as well go for an SUV, if space is all you care about.
The coupe came BEFORE the GC, so it wouldn't be the other way around.

I personally don't need 4 doors, so I drive a two door vehicle. This isn't about me nor my need for space. Most opt for the GC because they need more room/doors, but prefer the sportier roofline and are willing to sacrifice headroom for a varied trunk space opening. Read: family vehicle, albeit more sporty. Agree.....disagree......be indifferent. Whatever floats your boat.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      09-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #56
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
So M4GC not going to happen?

would be perfect for those wanting a bit more space than M3, but don't want a car as big as the 5 series or heavy as the X3M.
I think it might this generation. Supposedly BMW liked how well Audi's RS5 Sportback was received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
The 2022 M440i xDrive will seamlessly replace my 2018 S5 Sportback.
That's kind of where I am right now. Maybe even a M4GC if they make it.

I like the 4erGC/S5 Sportback idea as it's still a four door car that I can carry around 4 people if I need to (5 in a pinch) but it has a sportier profile and can handle large objects a lot easier. I put a filing cabinet into the back of mine that I would never have been able to fit into a traditional sedan.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #57
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I, personally, don't need 4 doors, so I drive a two door vehicle. This isn't about me nor my need for space. Most opt for the GC because they need more room/doors, but prefer the sportier roofline. Read: family vehicle, albeit more sporty. Agree.....disagree......be indifferent. Whatever floats your boat.
You are correct - improvements always come second.
Like it or not - whatever makes you happy.
There is a reason for all the even-numbered models (2, 4, 6, 8) to coexist with all the trivial, family versions.
Just never compare oranges to carrots.
      09-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I, personally, don't need 4 doors, so I drive a two door vehicle. This isn't about me nor my need for space. Most opt for the GC because they need more room/doors, but prefer the sportier roofline. Read: family vehicle, albeit more sporty. Agree.....disagree......be indifferent. Whatever floats your boat.
You are correct - improvements always come second.
Like it or not - whatever makes you happy.
There is a reason for all the even-numbered models (2, 4, 6, 8) to coexist with all the trivial, family versions.
Just never compare oranges to carrots.
....and where are you getting MUCH better handling from? Both a 428i GC and an F30 328/330i have nearly identical performance numbers (....GC vs F30: 1/4 mile....14.2 @ 98mph vs. 14.2 @ 98.5 mph.....skidpad...0.89g vs. 0.88g....etc.).
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      09-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #59
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Handling doesn't necessarilly translate directly (and visibly) into performance numbers. It depends on what you do (and how).
It is a known fact that this is the case. The lower CoG is noticable after only 10 minutes of (provocative) driving, if you compare both.
      09-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Handling doesn't necessarilly translate directly into performance numbers.
It is a known fact that that is the case. The lower CoG is noticable after 10 minutes of drive if you compare both.
...but you can't use the claim of "much better handling" when the objective performance data that we all come to play stat wars with doesn't support that. You can't be selective; it fits/is valid for this comparison, but not that one. There may a slight difference in feel, but the cars perform the same.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      09-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #61
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok. I hear you.
Corrected statement:

"... has noticably better handling"

Still subjective, yet so true.
      09-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #62
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:

I didn't know that about the GC. I'm also curious how the next gen car will handle 2 suitcases (one large and one small/medium) + a baby stroller for people who have at least 1 child. Even the F30 is a bit cramped for this scenario. I rented one on vacation through Turo, and it was a pain in the ass with the previously mentioned cargo. Let's hope some clever engineering combined with the lift back design of the GC will provide more usable cargo space for this next iteration. Or they could just bring back the 3er Touring and axe the GC altogether. That would get my vote.
      09-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #63
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Ok. I hear you.
Corrected statement:

"... has noticably better handling"

Still subjective, yet so true.
my LCI F36 handles better than both my pre-LCI f30 and pre-LCI F31, all with adaptive suspension.
subjective of course but it's a better, more planted ride, believe me.
      09-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #64
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

part of the reason many of us opted for the Audi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Let's hope some clever engineering combined with the lift back design of the GC will provide more usable cargo space for this next iteration.
The GC at 18 cu. ft. had only marginally more cargo space than the sedan at 17 cu. ft. And it might well be true that this space is less usable (for some things) than that in the sedan. I used a test load - my wife's rollator - and it fit only lengthwise in the 2018 440i GC, just the same as it fit in my 2014 435i coupe. On the other hand it fits both lengthwise and width-wise in my S5 (22 cu. ft.). Another thing about the GC is that my left elbow was hitting the door. Clearly the front cabin wasn't as wide as the coupe, whereas the S5 is much roomier.

I'm assuming that BMW will get these things right with the G26.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #65
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I've never been a fan of the 4er GC. To me, the A5 sportback looks much better/coherent/sleek.

I'm not a fan of how BMW seems to be butchering the Hoffmeister kink these days it makes the C-pillar look too chunky and awkward. which doesn't help the already awkward roofline of the 4er GC. YMMV.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      09-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #66
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 4er GC. To me, the A5 sportback looks much better/coherent/sleek.

I'm not a fan of how BMW seems to be butchering the Hoffmeister kink these days it makes the C-pillar look too chunky and awkward. which doesn't help the already awkward roofline of the 4er GC. YMMV.
True for the first generation A5 (8T). It had great exterior but very outdated interior.
The second (current) gen has great interior (significantly better than F36, especially if without the individual package), but the exterior design is crap IMO.
One of the reasons (although not the primary) I went for F36, while I initially wanted A5/S5 .

I am generally an Audi fan, but in that particular class BMW 4 is simply superior as an overall package (if configured properly).