Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Remote Start does not turn on heated seats/steering wheel?

01-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #89
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
My heater, and steering wheel do turn on. But not seats. I can start my car maybe a minute later jump in and steering wheel is warm.
When I hop into my car and hit the heated steering wheel button, it also switches the wheel heater on, obviously, because it was previously off.

The fact is the remote start does not activate the heater seats or steering wheel nor does it retain memory.
Mine 100% turns on the wheel during the remote start. It doesn't magically get warm within a minute while the heater is still cold, and just tested that again as I wrote this.

Edit* after remote starting it, if I press heated wheel button nothing appears. So too me that's it turning off, The second press it says on. Tested it twice back to back. Perhaps you have different software?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #90
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
When I hop into my car and hit the heated steering wheel button, it also switches the wheel heater on, obviously, because it was previously off.

The fact is the remote start does not activate the heater seats or steering wheel nor does it retain memory.
You are wrong. Plain and simple (at least as it pertains to the Canadian market vehicles).
      01-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #91
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:

You are wrong. Plain and simple (at least as it pertains to the Canadian market vehicles).
You are correct. Left mine outside until seats were fold. Started it. Went in they also feel warm right away. And it's still sitting in remote start state.. possible changes for us with 11/2019 update ? Mine was just done at dealer. Steering wheel definitely never got warm prior
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My heater, and steering wheel do turn on. But not seats. I can start my car maybe a minute later jump in and steering wheel is warm.

Mine 100% turns on the wheel during the remote start. It doesn't magically get warm within a minute while the heater is still cold, and just tested that again as I wrote this.
Hmm..

Well, with all due respect, I believe you're mistaken.

Think about it; you can't possible be the only one this works for, unless everyone else is incorrect.

However, I'm obviously not there with you to verify your claim myself, so I'm just going to have take your word for it.

Is there any other physical indication, prior to you hitting the on button, that verifies that it automatically activates, when the remote start commences?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #93
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bro, I don't care if I'm wrong, my ego can handle it.

I just want to verify that you're not mistaken and get the facts right. It's not a competition to me.

If it turns out I'm wrong, great!
I will be the first to apologize for doubting you but as of right now, I'm not convinced. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #94
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm..

Think about it; you can't possible be the only one this works for, unless everyone else is incorrect.

However, I'm obviously not there with you to verify your claim myself, so I'm just going to have take your word for it.

Is there any other physical indication, prior to you hitting the on button, that verifies that it automatically activates, when the remote start commences?
Yea. It's warm as I clearly stated. It's -12c here currently. Car is still ice cold but steering wheel warms up it's warm to touch within a minute or 2 of hitting lock 3X and getting into the car.
If I Had one of those temp guns I'd video it. I have no reason to pretend my steering wheel heats up from RS.

When I first got the car everything would be cold until I manually activated it. It was just at the dealer for programming in which I got new software and now the steering wheel gets warm, the driver seat seems too as well, but didn't confirm it so I might be mistaken about the seat I'll monitor that next time I do it.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      01-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #95
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm..

Yea. It's warm as I clearly stated. It's -12c here currently. Car is still ice cold but steering wheel warms up it's warm to touch within a minute or 2 of hitting lock 3X and getting into the car.
If I Had one of those temp guns I'd video it. I have no reason to pretend my steering wheel heats up from RS.

When I first got the car everything would be cold until I manually activated it. It was just at the dealer for programming in which I got new software and now the steering wheel gets warm, the driver seat seems too as well, but didn't confirm it so I might be mistaken about the seat I'll monitor that next time I do it.
Thank you for your feedback.

I sincerely apologize if it came off like I was accusing you lying, that's too strong of a word.

I was merely trying to separate any possible unintentional misunderstandings from fact.

Obviously, more research needs to been done on the subject before it's considered conclusive.

Hopefully, we'll make some progress soon and put this glaring oversight behind us. #FirstWorldProblems
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #96
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Bro, I don't care if I'm wrong, my ego can handle it.

I just want to verify that you're not mistaken and get the facts right. It's not a competition to me.

If it turns out I'm wrong, great!
I will be the first to apologize for doubting you but as of right now, I'm not convinced. Sorry.
Fair enough. I'm not here to prove you or anyone else wrong. I'm just telling you what is a fact on my car (and now we are seeing more members stating the same claim). Like another member said, I have no reason to lie about this. I honestly don't care and am happy that it's working EXACTLY how I would expect it to (big praise coming from an owner in Canada! It's damn cold right now so it's no illusion that I've conjured up. My car is warm when I get in...cabin, seats, and steering wheel. Period.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 08:00 PM   #97
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
And it isn't the language barrier; the anonymity of the internet allows some folks to grow a little chest hair and act unnecessarily hostile; it's just par for the course
Simmah down fellas. That was definitely not my version of "hostile". And VipinLJ, I had no idea English was not your primary. No language barrier issues at all. Simply disagreeing with you that an ice cold leather seat in 23F weather is going to quickly get hot by blowing some warm air into the cabin for a few minutes.

Also for the very few of you who seem to have actually read this whole thread from the beginning, I was skeptical (before you were) of users who posted that their seats were remote heating. To the point that I basically told one poster he was wrong...but ONLY because he is on the same software version as me, and also in the US...as I know my car doesn't do that. What confuses me however is why anyone would think they know exactly how someone else's car behaves, in a different country, on a different software version. Seems incredibly presumptuous to me. Or maybe just "par for the course".

Last edited by 2020g20; 01-08-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
      01-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #98
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My car is warm when I get in... cabin, seats, and steering wheel. Period.
Thanks again for confirming this is working for you. I really hope the 11/2019 upgrade is what makes the difference, instead of a US vs. Canadian safety regulation issue. I'll report back once my dealer upgrades me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #99
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

It’s not that cold around me, about 30 degrees, but I am going to pay more attention to my seat and steering wheel when I get in after it is remote started.

Good news is I have figured out my auto heated seat problem where it wasn’t coming on automatically below a certain temp. Just like rebooting a computer, I manually turned everything off (climate control, heated seats, auto heated seats, etc.) and then all back on and it now works as described when I turn on the car below the set temperature. Bad news is my car has the weakest heated steering wheel I have ever had so that part will be hard to tell if it turns on automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #100
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Tested mine again, 11/2019 software.
Steering wheel in fact heats up. Seats do not. Pretty dumb it's not both.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #101
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is your iDrive configured to turn your seats on automatically under a certain outside temp? In other words, do they automatically come on as soon as you press the Start button to exit remote start mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #102
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Quote:
Is your iDrive configured to turn your seats on automatically under a certain outside temp? In other words, do they automatically come on as soon as you press the Start button to exit remote start mode?
Yep as soon as I engage the start button seats kick on, but nothing with starter. I can manage. Rather a cool ass than cold hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #103
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm..

Thank you for your feedback.

I sincerely apologize if it came off like I was accusing you lying, that's too strong of a word.

I was merely trying to separate any possible unintentional misunderstandings from fact.

Obviously, more research needs to been done on the subject before it's considered conclusive.

Hopefully, we'll make some progress soon and put this glaring oversight behind us. #FirstWorldProblems
I use remote start in the mornings before I leave for work and I let the car run for about 10 minutes before I get in. I can confirm that the steering wheel heats up with remote start - 100%. The seats do not heat up until after you press the start button.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #104
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Quote:
I wonder why mine is saying it's still hasn't been updated since July but that it is currently "Up to date."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #105
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
I wonder why mine is saying it's still hasn't been updated since July but that it is currently "Up to date."
You’ll have to take it in to the service centre to get it updated. No OTAs for now unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #106
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
You’ll have to take it in to the service centre to get it updated. No OTAs for now unfortunately.
They certainly told me I could update over the air when I bought the car. Is that a feature that they had and removed? Can't imagine they would lie about it. Kind of pisses me off that they didn't bother doing an update that was available in November when the car was at the dealership for three days last week.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #107
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

I used remote start this morning and checked to see if the heated seats and steering wheel were on even though the indicator lights were not lit up. The steering wheel and seats were cold so neither were on.

Also, now the auto heated seats when I hit the start button stopped working again which is frustrating but at least it’s easy to just hit the heated seat button vs going into a screen to do it like in my Durango (although auto heated seats work perfectly in the Durango).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #108
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
They certainly told me I could update over the air when I bought the car. Is that a feature that they had and removed? Can't imagine they would lie about it. Kind of pisses me off that they didn't bother doing an update that was available in November when the car was at the dealership for three days last week.
The more accurate thing to tell you would have been that the car is capable of over the air updates. BMW has chosen not implement that yet however, which is totally out of your dealer's control.

It's been my experience so far with the dealers in my area that you have to make them do a software update. They aren't going to voluntarily do it for no reason. It takes at least a couple of hours to do, and they have to justify that labor expenditure in their system. Tell them you're having issues with CarPlay and your Connected Drive app staying connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #109
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

One note to help the debate on this topic... when people are asserting what behaviors are being observed on their car, note the bottom of the post with your software version.

This will help discern if software is the differentiating factor, scanning through the above that seems to be a strong hypothesis
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #110
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
330e on 07/2019.55

Precondition every morning, car is warm and windows are clear, heated steering wheel is on (and when I press the button nothing comes up on the screen but it goes cold shortly after, like someone else said earlier, and if it press it again it then says heating steering wheel activated so it must of been on) seats warm up but don't stay on when I turn the car on, I have to turn them back on, or rely on it being below 10deg c for the auto turn on.
Thanks for additional info Jkwon. However as confirmed earlier in this thread, the behavior of the 330e is decidedly different from other models. It has a completely different heating system and remote climatize routine than all other 3 series models. In an effort to stave off even more confusion, none of this is should be used as reference in the analysis/discussion of 330i and M340i remote functions.
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00