Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

07-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #353
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

I feel for the folks going through this, been there, it's no fun.
Threads like these have kept me from buying a BMW in the past.
      07-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #354
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

No news from others on this issue?

From my side, I have my G21 330i in my dealership for more than a week now. No solution up until now. They are carrying out tests, whatever that means. In plain English it means that have no idea on what the cause is. Supposedly they are expecting some parts to be tested on my car.

I was today at the dealership to put pressure on them. I did not buy a brand new car to have it parked for tests at dealership 2 months after delivery.
I consider this unacceptable. If there is a significant number of vehicles affected, tests should be carried out by BMW AG on their own vehicles. Not at the cost of costumer's vehicles.

I would say that the way BMW AG is (not) dealing with this issue irritates me more than the actual noise problem. My wife does not acknowledge the problem at all.

I would like to know how the issue evolved for others. Are there recently delivered vehicles still affected by this? Notably in Germany? I am surprised that this has not escalated notably on German fora. Anyone with information about it?

We need to keep the pressure. I do not see any other equivalent vehicle on the segment to change for the g21 330i.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:04 AM   #355
Drencrom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M sport

Do you guys have accoustic windshields?

I will receive my 330i Touring M sport within 2 weeks (18 inch wheels). But after reading this thread I'm thinking of pulling out since I haven't made a down payment.

The car is build in november 2019 and it has an F as the seventh digit from the end.

Regards,
Drencrom (Stockholm)
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #356
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drencrom View Post

I will receive my 330i Touring M sport within 2 weeks (18 inch wheels). But after reading this thread I'm thinking of pulling out since I haven't made a down payment.

The car is build in november 2019 and it has an F as the seventh digit from the end.

Regards,
Drencrom (Stockholm)
I think the windshield has acoustic protection in all versions. In my car, I also have front side windows with acoustic protection. The car is overall very silent; that's why this noise is clear. Its not a loud noise, but it is there.

All European G20/G21 are made in Munich (F), I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #357
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Quote:
But after reading this thread I'm thinking of pulling out since I haven't made a down payment.
Well, it is really a very difficult question to answer. As mentioned above, the car is really quiet (I have acoustic side windows as well) so the quietness really amplifies the noise and as pmgoliv said, his wife does not hear anything unusual. My wife is exactly the same, she says for her it is a normal sound, car makes noise so it is no issue. For me it is more difficult because I tend to concentrate on the noise, and my ears are "tuned" to it. And I must admit I am especially sensitive to all rattles and other sounds.
That is why I think that the problem is not widely known because most people simply don't hear it or consider it normal.

I personally consider it just an annoyance and not the deal-breaker, I love my car it looks fantastic and drives even better! And if I set the HK volume to about 1/3 of the scale or above, the noise is gone one way, or another

So you see, all is extremely subjective - the best solution would be to take your new car for a test drive and hear for yourself before you seal the deal.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #358
dmi2
MrMoose
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

Hi,

I see alot of swedes here with this problem. How clear is the noise? I hear noise from the tires, but it feels "normal".

BMW 330i M-sport with 19" RF and adaptive suspension. Built january 2019, the VIN has the letter A for plant code.
Appreciate 1
erawamai161.50
      07-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #359
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

G21 or G20? The issue only affects the touring variant.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #360
dmi2
MrMoose
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
G21 or G20? The issue only affects the touring variant.
Ah ok, that explains it, missed that part, I have G20
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #361
Drencrom
Registered
Rep

Yossi123; thanks for that, it was helpful since I don't see a good alternative for the 3-series when it comes to the whole package.

Can you tell me if the noise is present on this video, 03:00 and onwards:

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:05 AM   #362
Drencrom
Registered
Rep

After reading alot about this issue it's clear to me that this is a common problem with station wagons in general and maybe especially cars with rwd/4wd due too the resonance from the drive axel.

The reason why this is a common problem in Scandinavia is that our roads make alot more sound because of the coarse asphalt that must endure winter studs, ground frost etc.

My guess is that when you have acoustic windshield and side windows it puts alot of noise out, but some resonance remain due to the factors mentioned above and then it becomes a more clear noise.

My new car also come with side windows in acoustic glass, and I am also a bit sensitive about noise in general. Having said that I think this is a sound we Swedes have to live with. I owned a Audi A4 B9 previously and before buying it everybody raved about how silent it was. It came as a big surprise to me how noisy it was, especially on highways. That car didn't have acoustic windows so I think there will be a major difference in this case.

Regards,
Drencrom (Stockholm)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:53 AM   #363
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can you tell me if the noise is present on this video, 03:00 and onwards:
It is really hard to tell, I guess I could say I can hear it but the microphones tend to filter some the noise and also it is very specific and directional. Also the speakers may not reproduce it correctly. I mean that while driving I can hear it mostly with my right ear, it seems it originates from right side or center.
In the video it's all mixed and processed so I just cannot be sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #364
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:

Regards,
Drencrom (Stockholm)
Is it M-sport brakes on it? It's much louder noise in the g21 with m-brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #365
Drencrom
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Yes, it is M sport brakes with blue calipers. Why do you think that is? Also because of resonance?

Then at least I have a scape goat when I drive other people around, "goddamn M brakes"

I drove a Volvo V60 T8 Polestar Engineered today, also with massive Brembo brakes (in gold), and I can't say that car was quiet even though it had acoustic windows.

Last edited by Drencrom; 07-29-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #366
LFMdk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Peugeot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I just did a test drive in a 2019 G20 330i M-Sport, which had a strange
sounding resonance noticeably from around 30 kph. Not a loud sound, but something just wasn’t right. Then I decided for a test drive in a 2020 G21 330i Sportline, which was totally silent. I have earlier test driven both a G20 330i M-Sport and a G21 330i M-Sport, where I didn’t noticed any weird resonance. It is a mystery, because it doesn’t seem to be a problem on all M-Sport G20/G21. By the way - the ones I test drove all had M-Sport brakes, besides the Sportline.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #367
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

It may happen that the root cause is not one single item.

As mentioned before, I pick it up more with my right ear; but I have the impression that it comes from the rear while others seem to pick it up more from the front of the car.

If the cause are the bigger brakes, why is this not present in the car? It may happen that the resonance is created by the wind flowing in the bottom of the car, possibly pushed harder from the brakes and respective protection plates.

What drives me nuts is why the heck so many fantastic engineers in Germany are not able to discover the cause. The only explanation, mentioned before by someone is that this is not (yet) labelled as a major issue.

Meantime my car is still at dealership and no news whatsoever...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #368
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFMdk View Post
I just did a test drive in a 2019 G20 330i M-Sport, which had a strange
sounding resonance noticeably from around 30 kph. Not a loud sound, but something just wasn’t right. Then I decided for a test drive in a 2020 G21 330i Sportline, which was totally silent. I have earlier test driven both a G20 330i M-Sport and a G21 330i M-Sport, where I didn’t noticed any weird resonance. It is a mystery, because it doesn’t seem to be a problem on all M-Sport G20/G21. By the way - the ones I test drove all had M-Sport brakes, besides the Sportline.
Do you confirm that the G21 330i M-sport was silent? With the bigger M sport brakes with blue calipers?

What about suspension: regular M-sport or adaptive M-sport?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #369
LFMdk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
Do you confirm that the G21 330i M-sport was silent? With the bigger M sport brakes with blue calipers?

What about suspension: regular M-sport or adaptive M-sport?
Regular M-Sport suspension. Correct, I didn’t notice anything in the G21 330i M-Sport with Sport brakes, whereas I immediately noticed a strange resonance in the G20 330i M-Sport I drove yesterday. Therefore I am almost certain, that I would have noticed that sound in the G21 also. Only uncertainty is that it was a bit damp when I drove the G21 M-Sport, but today it was also slightly damp when I drove the G21 Sportline, and it was easy to hear the car was completely silent.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:41 AM   #370
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFMdk View Post
Regular M-Sport suspension. Correct, I didn’t notice anything in the G21 330i M-Sport with Sport brakes, whereas I immediately noticed a strange resonance in the G20 330i M-Sport I drove yesterday. Therefore I am almost certain, that I would have noticed that sound in the G21 also. Only uncertainty is that it was a bit damp when I drove the G21 M-Sport, but today it was also slightly damp when I drove the G21 Sportline, and it was easy to hear the car was completely silent.
And the G20 where you noticed the resonance, did it have M sport brakes and adaptive suspension?

Could it be the combination of those two parts?

I made a test drive on a G20 330i before deciding to have adaptive suspension on my G21 and I did not noticed any weird sound.
It had both adaptive suspension and M sport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:13 AM   #371
LFMdk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
And the G20 where you noticed the resonance, did it have M sport brakes and adaptive suspension?

Could it be the combination of those two parts?

I made a test drive on a G20 330i before deciding to have adaptive suspension on my G21 and I did not noticed any weird sound.
It had both adaptive suspension and M sport brakes.
It had regular suspension and M-sport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #372
Orangemad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 330i Msport

330i MSPORT G20 grinding noise

I have recently purchased 330i MSport G20 and experiencing the grinding noise from front right hand side. The car has 18" Bicolour Orbit Grey Double-spoke style 790 M light alloy wheels With Michelin Runflats. The car has only done 500 miles. I have it booked for the workshop in coming weeks but reading these threads Im a little Upset they will not fix the issue. I’m Based in the U.K but see that the issue is right across Europe. Will update on here my next steps . But don’t give up until BMW sort it ! #bmw3seriesnoisy @BMWGroup
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #373
Orangemad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 330i Msport

3 Series Survey

Hi All

I have put together a online survey so we can get a understanding of which model , Rim, Tyre/tire, Brakes and suspensions owners have and whether they have experienced the grinding noise.

You can find the survey here https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/7FZY6Z/

Thank you for your time . Lets get this sorted!

#bmw3seriesnoisy @BMWGroup

Last edited by Orangemad; 08-02-2020 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
3erMan153.00
      08-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #374
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Just did the survey. Some time ago Glaede was doing similar thing but he was collecting and decoding VIN numbers, which I think is even better idea as you can precisely compare specific options, packages etc.

Anyway, shouldn't that be BMW's job? And to be honest I believe that they know a lot more than we here, but the solution is either a) yet to be found b) too expensive to implement
I am leaning towards a) as the issue is still present in new builds that are leaving the factory.
Appreciate 0