Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Can't establish connection to the car (secure server) for Preconditioning

12-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Can't establish connection to the car (secure server) for Preconditioning

So as usual, I start preconditioning like 5 mins before I leave home. Using the app.

Previously, the only occasions when pre-conditioning could not be executed was when battery waas empty.
But this time battery is fully charged.
Also car is in usual area with decent reception.

So, anyone know why?

Also noticed that for some reason spotify in the car is not working sometimes - skipping all the tracks. Cannot switch radio on in that case, as after like 2 seconds media switches back to spotify to skip the tracks...

What's the solution here?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Is it failing using “Climatise now”? Does it work using “Charge and set climatisation”?

Have you accidentally switched off climatisation tab on the Apps Charge and set climatisation page?

Maybe delete and re install Connected Drive App.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

I had the same problem, first step would be to reset the idrive, 30 seconds on the volume button. Check if this solves it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
I had the same problem, first step would be to reset the idrive, 30 seconds on the volume button. Check if this solves it.
I've not had my connected drive app "connected" for the last two weeks. No location/battery/mileage or ability to send commands.

Tried the iDrive reset, didn't fix it.

Went into the dealer for a software update today to fix the "brake fluid thing" and after that it "magically" came back on line.

I was on 07.2019.55 now on 11.2019.34.

Haven't noticed any new functionality, hoping the rest of it is a bit more reliable!?

Unfortunately the update resets all the fuel consumption numbers :-(
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I've not had my connected drive app "connected" for the last two weeks. No location/battery/mileage or ability to send commands.

Went into the dealer for a software update today to fix the "brake fluid thing" and after that it "magically" came back on line.

Haven't noticed any new functionality, hoping the rest of it is a bit more reliable!?

I've had that issue too, can only be fixed in the dealer with an update. But if you can check range, location, etc... but you cannot preheat the car and use remote controls, the idrive reset and some other easy steps will fix it (a problem which I had aswell...)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:40 AM   #6
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

interesting. after rebooting iDrive,preconditioning worked once. and now back to the same - cannot establish connection and preconditioning fails.
also, what is more interesting is that I can send the automatic precondition for the departure time to the car, other stuff, but not the preconditioning.

very weird.

will need to contact genius at bmw, but Genius chat balloon does not appear in configuration for me...

Last edited by snusnu; 12-11-2019 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
interesting. after rebooting iDrive,preconditioning worked once. and now back to the same - cannot establish connection and preconditioning fails.
also, what is more interesting is that I can send the automatic precondition for the departure time to the car, other stuff, but not the preconditioning.

very weird.

will need to contact genius at bmw, but Genius chat balloon does not appear in configuration for me...

Don’t think Genius chat works with Apple products
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
So as usual, I start preconditioning like 5 mins before I leave home. Using the app.

Previously, the only occasions when pre-conditioning could not be executed was when battery waas empty.

So, anyone know why?

Also noticed that for some reason spotify in the car is not working sometimes - skipping all the tracks. Cannot switch radio on in that case, as after like 2 seconds media switches back to spotify to skip the tracks...

I've had the exact same issues this week - All since Sunday when I had the brake fluid error.

Spotify stopped working altogether and my preconditioning from the app doesn't work either.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Quote:

So, anyone know why?

I've had the exact same issues this week - All since Sunday when I had the brake fluid error.

Spotify stopped working altogether and my preconditioning from the app doesn't work either.
I had this issue last weekend, narrowed it down to waze, deleted that and it works now. Might be worth trying different CarPlay compatible apps until you find the one that's causing the issue. Connected started working instantly after deleting waze.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
KMoore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Just spoke to BMW as my app hasn't updated the car's location since Saturday, before then it was working quite well in comparison with what others have experienced.

I told them I'd already re-installed the app and reset the idrive, both of which had no effect. They told me that there is now an 11/2019 software update which has caused some connectivity issues and as I am currently on 03/2019, I need to get it updated at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

This happened to me this morning and the holding in if the volume button reset the iDrive worked a treat.

All working again and vehicle location working as normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoore View Post
Just spoke to BMW as my app hasn't updated the car's location since Saturday, before then it was working quite well in comparison with what others have experienced.

I told them I'd already re-installed the app and reset the idrive, both of which had no effect. They told me that there is now an 11/2019 software update which has caused some connectivity issues and as I am currently on 03/2019, I need to get it updated at the dealer.
I had this for 2 weeks, no update on location/charge levels or ability to send commands. Since upgraded to 11/2019.34 it has worked fine. Just have to push the dealer as mine wasn't even aware it was available. Pants...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgd21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post

I've had that issue too, can only be fixed in the dealer with an update. But if you can check range, location, etc... but you cannot preheat the car and use remote controls, the idrive reset and some other easy steps will fix it (a problem which I had aswell...)
So I have had the opposite. Couldn't see charge or location but could send commands to the car. This was 2 months back. It was like that for about 4-5 days then "fixed itself". I can only assume it was a back end server issue, not the actual Connected Drive app...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #14
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

“Well bugger my boots and call me Cuthbert” today my Connected drive app failed to send climatisation schedule to my car by either timed or climatisation now options. I did the 30 second volume button reboot and tried again. Failed.
Disconnected the power cable and forgot about it. Went back to get something from the car and noticed the cabin was warm. No confirmation that climatisation had been accepted just a 5 mile range depletion due to being unplugged from the charger.
Car now booked in for latest software update 11/2019.34 next Tuesday. Let’s hope!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #15
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cars booked in for the entire day on 28th January which is the earliest I could be booked in. Seems a little excessive for an iDrive update!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #16
KMoore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cars booked in for the entire day on 28th January which is the earliest I could be booked in. Seems a little excessive for an iDrive update!
Similar here, booked in for all day, slightly sooner on 6th January. I said I'd wait for it but they said it could take 3 to 4 hours. Strange really when the BMW website says the OTA update takes about 20 minutes. Oh well, courtesy car for the day it is!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine’s in all next Tuesday. Apparently the major updates cannot be performed over the air only patches ( what I was told)
Owners of G20 330i are already receiving over the air updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It only takes about an hour. Mine went into the garage last week and at 3pm they phoned to say the car was "ready". All they'd done is reset the brake fluid warning. After a bit of complaining and informing about a new version they agreed to do the software update. By 4:30 it was ready to collect and had been washed.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #19
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

How can we be aware that 2019/11.34 is available and no techi I’ve spoken with at the dealer has the slightest clue?

I shudder to think what the lines of communication between dealer/BMW UK/BMW München are like
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:16 AM   #20
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Don’t think Genius chat works with Apple products
Why apple?
I have android phone. I need to chat with Genius but website (on windows) does not load
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
KMoore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
How can we be aware that 2019/11.34 is available and no techi I’ve spoken with at the dealer has the slightest clue?

I shudder to think what the lines of communication between dealer/BMW UK/BMW München are like
Tell them BMW connected told you!

They certainly told me there's an 11/2019 just not the .34 version number.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #22
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I thought software updates could be done remotely. Is that not so?
Appreciate 0