4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Advice on jacking up my car

03-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
jonitfcfan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) SE Pro

Question Advice on jacking up my car

I'm getting closer now to pulling the trigger on some new wheels and tyres as per here and here and I've decided I want to have a go at putting these on myself (partly to generally learn how it's done without experiencing death by car, but I also don't fancy going to a tyre place in this current climate and risk going "viral" if you know what I mean ). I have some of the stuff needed already and I'll be ordering a couple of the other things soon, but before I go ahead with this there are a couple things I want to ask for anyone that's done this sort of thing before:

- I've seen a couple of videos with general instructions on how to safely jack a car up with a hydraulic floor jack for the purpose of changing a wheel, but they only seem to cover how to deal with one wheel (or one side of a car) at a time (e.g. for a flat tyre) since only one side gets jacked up in the videos. Since I'm looking to change all the wheels is it better to jack up the whole car on all four corners with jack stands first, change all the wheels, then let the car back down? Or is it OK to jack up just one side with jack stands, change the two wheels on that side, let the car down, then repeat for the other side? Maybe there's a video I've missed that covers what I want, I don't know.

- I see some videos mention good places to jack up a car from either the front or rear of the car, but the locations seem to differ slightly between different cars. Where should I place the jack when lifting a G20 from the front, back and/or side respectively without damaging any critical parts, so I can then place the jack stands?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonitfcfan View Post
I'm getting closer now to pulling the trigger on some new wheels and tyres as per here and here and I've decided I want to have a go at putting these on myself (partly to generally learn how it's done without experiencing death by car, but I also don't fancy going to a tyre place in this current climate and risk going "viral" if you know what I mean ). I have some of the stuff needed already and I'll be ordering a couple of the other things soon, but before I go ahead with this there are a couple things I want to ask for anyone that's done this sort of thing before:

- I've seen a couple of videos with general instructions on how to safely jack a car up with a hydraulic floor jack for the purpose of changing a wheel, but they only seem to cover how to deal with one wheel (or one side of a car) at a time (e.g. for a flat tyre) since only one side gets jacked up in the videos. Since I'm looking to change all the wheels is it better to jack up the whole car on all four corners with jack stands first, change all the wheels, then let the car back down? Or is it OK to jack up just one side with jack stands, change the two wheels on that side, let the car down, then repeat for the other side? Maybe there's a video I've missed that covers what I want, I don't know.

- I see some videos mention good places to jack up a car from either the front or rear of the car, but the locations seem to differ slightly between different cars. Where should I place the jack when lifting a G20 from the front, back and/or side respectively without damaging any critical parts, so I can then place the jack stands?
I would suggest since it doesn't seem like you have done this before to do one corner at a time.

Remember to loosen the wheel lugs first before you jack up the car and get a bmw jack pad adapter and always use jack stands DO NOT RELY ON THE HYDRAULIC JACK. Good luck and take your time
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
jonitfcfan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) SE Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
I would suggest since it doesn't seem like you have done this before to do one corner at a time.
Yeah you're right, completely new to it. I did wonder if that was the safer option.

Quote:
get a bmw jack pad adapter
Didn't know this was a thing, thanks for the heads up. Do I have to get one that fits my particular jack, or is it a universal thing that should fit any jack?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonitfcfan View Post
Quote:
Yeah you're right, completely new to it. I did wonder if that was the safer option.

Quote:
get a bmw jack pad adapter
Didn't know this was a thing, thanks for the heads up. Do I have to get one that fits my particular jack, or is it a universal thing that should fit any jack?
Yeah look it up on amazon, bmw has plastic adapters on its jack points, the adapter helps keep you from smashing them. Just take your time, but honestly with a new set of wheels head to a local tire shop.
Appreciate 0