Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK About to order new 330i Touring

09-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

About to order new 330i Touring

Hi all, not posted on here since I bought an F31 340 three and a half years ago but had permission from SWMBO to change, so very close to ordering a new G21. Loved the engine in my 340 but can’t justify the new M340 with the options I fancy so 330i it is.
Going for the M-Sport Pro version with Tech/Comfort/Visibility/ Premium/Parking Assistant packs in Tanzanite blue over Tartufo/Black Merino extended leather.
My only concern is the security aspect of the Comfort Access, what’s the current thinking on this?
Configured on the BMW site and on C2C and hopeful the dealer will get within a gnat’s whisker of the C2C quote. 18-22 weeks for delivery and £1k deposit sounds pretty good. I won’t need finance but happy to take it out and pay it off after 1 month if that’s possible and helps the dealer with margins.
Any other advice/comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by james d View Post
Hi all, not posted on here since I bought an F31 340 three and a half years ago but had permission from SWMBO to change, so very close to ordering a new G21. Loved the engine in my 340 but can’t justify the new M340 with the options I fancy so 330i it is.
Going for the M-Sport Pro version with Tech/Comfort/Visibility/ Premium/Parking Assistant packs in Tanzanite blue over Tartufo/Black Merino extended leather.
My only concern is the security aspect of the Comfort Access, what’s the current thinking on this?
Configured on the BMW site and on C2C and hopeful the dealer will get within a gnat’s whisker of the C2C quote. 18-22 weeks for delivery and £1k deposit sounds pretty good. I won’t need finance but happy to take it out and pay it off after 1 month if that’s possible and helps the dealer with margins.
Any other advice/comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Security of comfort access has been discussed before and the consensus is that it’s not an issue regarding key hacking. The key stops sending when it is stationary for a couple of minutes.

Nice spec. Enjoy the car.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #3
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Security of comfort access has been discussed before and the consensus is that it’s not an issue regarding key hacking. The key stops sending when it is stationary for a couple of minutes.

Nice spec. Enjoy the car.
Tam is right Comfort Access on the new gen definitely more secure than last time round.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:44 AM   #4
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

Phew! Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

And to add, couldn't live without Comfort Access now.

Pretty much same spec as mine, have you considered the Driving Assistant Pro Pack, wish mine had it now, hate standard cruise on our motorway networks, just can't get into a flow and the Adaptive cruise would be so much better. Also, don't get blind spot recognition without the Driving Assistant Pro Pack either which is an absolute travesty this day and age!!
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
cjm99.00
      09-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Keith, had considered it but it’ll be my wife driving 95% of the time and she struggles with things like high beam assist and using voice control so that was probably a pack too far!
Seeing dealer tomorrow and now undecided between TB with black or normal alloys or grey oxide with black wheels. Not normally a fan of black wheels but they look good with the grey, less so with TB IMO.
Appreciate 1
Keith_C179.00
      09-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

All ordered with a last minute change of colour to Oxide Grey with the Tartufo extended leather, just think the black wheels, grille and mirrors looks better on that colour compared to TB. Dealer exactly matched C2C quote so very happy. Q1 2021 delivery so long wait ahead.
Appreciate 1
Keith_C179.00
      09-22-2020, 05:19 AM   #8
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
All ordered with a last minute change of colour to Oxide Grey with the Tartufo extended leather, just think the black wheels, grille and mirrors looks better on that colour compared to TB. Dealer exactly matched C2C quote so very happy. Q1 2021 delivery so long wait ahead.
That is a long wait but will be worth it, it's a fantastic car and a massive step up from the F series. Colour combo is great too.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Keith, very reassuring!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Thanks Keith, very reassuring!
Definitely the right choice OG over TB with the black wheels imo.
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      09-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #11
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a call from the dealer saying there are a few changes in the spec for 2021 model year. Tartufo Merino is discontinued and no Premium Pack any more so Pano roof has to be ordered separately. In all about £600 more than agreed. Disappointed, shall we say. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Just had a call from the dealer saying there are a few changes in the spec for 2021 model year. Tartufo Merino is discontinued and no Premium Pack any more so Pano roof has to be ordered separately. In all about £600 more than agreed. Disappointed, shall we say. Thoughts?
Had your order been accepted and placed with BMW? if so I would be pushing for car I ordered at price I agreed.... ok, you will have to revisit the colours but the kit should be the same.

I'd revisit Coast 2 Coast for their latest prices to see what impact the changes make on that...

and if you dont like what the dealer says then cancel, they need a sale more than you need a new car (I hope!)
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      09-30-2020, 05:00 AM   #13
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

So, latest is, with the price increase for the roof, the cost to upgrade to a slightly lower spec M340 may be too great. C2C haven’t had the data to upgrade their configurator as yet but the owner said it will be a few days, but they are currently offering 17% on a 340 compared to 14% on a 330 so I think I should be able to get a decent spec ( Vis/ Comfort Plus/Tech packs) but with a normal metallic paint and normal leather rather than Merino, for about £1k more than my high spec 330. The dealer has confirmed that I can play around with the model and spec and that they will hopefully match C2C again. Hours on the configurators again but all quite fun and I may well have had a nagging doubt jumping from an F31 340 into a 330 that I’d made the wrong call. Let’s see what transpires!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So, latest is, with the price increase for the roof, the cost to upgrade to a slightly lower spec M340 may be too great. C2C haven’t had the data to upgrade their configurator as yet but the owner said it will be a few days, but they are currently offering 17% on a 340 compared to 14% on a 330 so I think I should be able to get a decent spec ( Vis/ Comfort Plus/Tech packs) but with a normal metallic paint and normal leather rather than Merino, for about £1k more than my high spec 330. The dealer has confirmed that I can play around with the model and spec and that they will hopefully match C2C again. Hours on the configurators again but all quite fun and I may well have had a nagging doubt jumping from an F31 340 into a 330 that I’d made the wrong call. Let’s see what transpires!

Son in law got his M340i yesterday, not highly specced, but he seems happy with it and the performance. He has got merino though (ivory white!) but not much else...
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      09-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #15
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I've got just the Comfort and Tech pack with my M340i as it was a stock car.

Tech pack is a must mainly for the HUD and HK sound.

Comfort access and having a Digital Key card for me is handy.

Would have liked the 360 parking cameras and adaptive cruise control but once I'm in the car just driving it is the main thing.

Don't know what a 330i is like to drive though I didn't test drive an M340i either.
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      10-01-2020, 03:01 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post

Would have liked the 360 parking cameras and adaptive cruise control but once I'm in the car just driving it is the main thing.

Don't know what a 330i is like to drive though I didn't test drive an M340i either.
He has HK as a separate item, I know people swear by the HUD but I have had it in 2 cars now and not been that bothered, I think 35 years of driving without one means I am ingrained in looking at the dials, plus I was also driving my other car which doesnt have HUD.

Comfort Access I can live without, I liked it but didnt like the stress of others gaining access (I know the keys now go to sleep but the criminals always seem to be one step ahead of the manufacturers...)

360 cameras were on my M5 and I loved them. ACC I am not a fan of, partly as it decided to brake hard when I was on a bend on the m1 and it thought the lorry next to me was in front of me!

As you say the drive is the most important bit....and the M340i seems to be all the car you need there!
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      10-01-2020, 03:12 AM   #17
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

The drive and particularly the engine should always be the most important part of any BMW to an old git of my generation, that’s why I could never countenance an SUV but as with this opinion, options are another which are purely personal and after having HUD on my current 340, that and HK are the two options I couldn’t be without. Even Mrs A finds it vital in keeping her speed below Mach 1 on the motorway! Comfort access, parking assistance et al would be lovely but probably worth sacrificing to get that engine!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The drive and particularly the engine should always be the most important part of any BMW to an old git of my generation, that’s why I could never countenance an SUV but as with this opinion, options are another which are purely personal and after having HUD on my current 340, that and HK are the two options I couldn’t be without. Even Mrs A finds it vital in keeping her speed below Mach 1 on the motorway! Comfort access, parking assistance et al would be lovely but probably worth sacrificing to get that engine!
james d looks like new quarter and new deals - so from what I have read on the F30 off topic area, MHT now the spec on M340i, which adds a bit of weight but reduces fuel consumption, discounts via Coast to Coast down to 11% but the APR on new reg is now 2.9%. Dont know how you pay for your cars or indeed net impact but thought would be of interest....
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      10-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #19
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that info- 11% down from 17% is a real bummer, any idea why this might be? I just buy the car outright unless forced to take out finance for the best deal then tend to pay it off ASAP. Could be back to a 330! What does MHT stand for please?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #20
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

He has HK as a separate item, I know people swear by the HUD but I have had it in 2 cars now and not been that bothered, I think 35 years of driving without one means I am ingrained in looking at the dials, plus I was also driving my other car which doesnt have HUD.

Comfort Access I can live without, I liked it but didnt like the stress of others gaining access (I know the keys now go to sleep but the criminals always seem to be one step ahead of the manufacturers...)

360 cameras were on my M5 and I loved them. ACC I am not a fan of, partly as it decided to brake hard when I was on a bend on the m1 and it thought the lorry next to me was in front of me!

As you say the drive is the most important bit....and the M340i seems to be all the car you need there!
I agree, comfort access is just a convenience but it means I can keep the keys in my pocket or man bag and if my hands are a bit full then it's easier to lock it with a finger on the handle ridges then fidgeting for my keys.

As for the HUD, this is my first car with one and although not an M5 the M340i does pick up speed quite easily so I find it handy to see the speed and also the sat nav guidance. If I didn't have HUD it wouldn't be much of a problem as the 420d didn't have it. Personally it's a nice to have thing but now after having it is probably spec it on a future car, then again I'll probably keep it looking term as it's all the car I'll ever need.
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      10-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that info- 11% down from 17% is a real bummer, any idea why this might be? I just buy the car outright unless forced to take out finance for the best deal then tend to pay it off ASAP. Could be back to a 330! What does MHT stand for please?
Mild Hybrid Technology methinks
Appreciate 1
james d118.50
      10-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Mild Hybrid Technology methinks

Indeed.

Down from 17% to 11% as what BMW give with one hand (reduced APR) they take with the other (deposit contributions)

I guess if you can find a stock pre MHT car you might get both the 17% and the low APR if you work hard....
Appreciate 0