Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics GPS errors iphone

01-20-2023, 02:21 AM   #23
hlc1209
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 330e

Just posted a new thread https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1986158

Five days ago I got my new 2023 330e with the latest software version of idrive8. I actually had the GPS drift issue the day I drove it home from the dealership, but at the time I thought it was a temporary bug until it happened over and over again.

I spent some time doing experiments

Let's start with the conclusion: the position drift problem is triggered in the CERTAIN area. Let me call it the "trigger zone". When you leave the trigger zone, if the position has drifted, it will continue to drift, but if you reset the idrive (long press on the volume button), the position will become correct. If you enter the trigger zone again, the position will start drifting again.

Here's what I observed
I found a parking lot near my house will trigger the position drift 100% of the time
1. Disconnect the carplay, then reconnect. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
2. Forget the iphone, then re-pair it. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
3. Uninstall waze and google maps. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
4. Press and hold the volume button until idrive reboots 3 times. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
5. Factory reset idrive (all my personalized settings in the car are gone). Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.
6. Reset all settings of my iphone. Open Apple Maps, GPS drifts immediately.

In all of the above cases, the location of BMW's built-in navigation was always correct and the location shown on the iphone before connecting to carplay was also correct.

I have not tried restoring my iphone to factory and I will be testing this over the weekend.

I emailed my dealer and was told this is the first she has heard of this issue and the service center has likewise not heard of it. But I believe this is purely a software issue and don't want to disassemble anything in the first week of getting a new car.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2023, 09:22 PM   #24
Upstate330i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i Msport

1have have this issue 3 times within 1100 miles since delivery. I have had the car for almost a month now.

It’s a 2023 330i Msport.

What I find that helps me is this.

While connected to CarPlay and experiencing issue. Disconnect from Wi-Fi. Turn it off completely in the settings menu. Not control center.
Wait some time and then reconnect. And fixes it every time for me. Sucks. But it is what it is until they come with a Solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 10:03 PM   #25
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I’m having the same issue. It’s very infrequent for me but I read on one thread to turn off Enhanced Integration in the CarPlay settings on your phone. I haven’t had the issue since
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KeepUp13.50
      02-01-2023, 10:57 PM   #26
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Don’t know about iPhone GPS errors but the My BMW app showed my car a few blocks away. Had to run out to check if my car was stolen from my driveway!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 09:18 PM   #27
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

I reached out to my local dealer in Richmond over the last several weeks.

Sadly, but not unpredictably, they are denying this is a BMW issue. Despite the fact that BMW North America has recognized the issue through their Twitter account, the dealership says this has something to do with the apps… and not BMW.

On a related note, I have noticed that BMW is not one of the partners on board with Apple’s next generation CarPlay. That is surprising, given their early adoption of wireless CarPlay, and I wonder if they might be abandoning the platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #28
FlicMyBic23
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
I reached out to my local dealer in Richmond over the last several weeks.

Sadly, but not unpredictably, they are denying this is a BMW issue. Despite the fact that BMW North America has recognized the issue through their Twitter account, the dealership says this has something to do with the apps… and not BMW.

On a related note, I have noticed that BMW is not one of the partners on board with Apple’s next generation CarPlay. That is surprising, given their early adoption of wireless CarPlay, and I wonder if they might be abandoning the platform.
Can you send a screenshot of the tweet were BMW North America acknowledged this? I want to show my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 09:48 PM   #29
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep

Here ya go
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      03-06-2023, 07:04 AM   #30
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer has agreed to try the software update mentioned in the Reddit post out of Europe. I’m scheduled into the shop next week.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 07:16 AM   #31
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
My dealer has agreed to try the software update mentioned in the Reddit post out of Europe. I’m scheduled into the shop next week.
This is good news, I’ve let my BMW rep know of the issue but he was largely useless. He told me to try and reset my phone 🤔

Sounds like BMW is at least aware of this issue and working on a fix. Let us know how the new update works out!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:46 AM   #32
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Is anyone having problems with a current iPhone and GPS?

I have a new iPhone 14 Pro, and use it through CarPlay daily. I drive a 330e.

I have been getting GPS errors that inconsistently place the car between 100 and 600 feet from where it actually is.

The problem is the same with Apple, Maps, Google Maps, and Waze.

Typically not a major problem except when I’m using navigation for directions in the car, and it consistently thinks it is somewhere it is not, and, as a consequence, gives me repeated commands to turn back to my route.

Apple customer support, and I went through six or seven phone calls to try and remedy the situation, ultimately resulting in them sending me a replacement phone, and I am still having the same problems intermittently with a new phone.

I do have ceramic tint on the car, but I don’t believe that is the problem. I have taken the phone’s cover off and placed it on the dashboard when I have been experiencing problems to make sure that neither the case nor the roof of the car are blocking signal

Anybody else experiencing these issues?
Have you tried having this TSB performed, and if so, did it work? It doesn't list the X1, but my SA said they'd try it if I bring it in.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW SIB 84.14.22.pdf (140.5 KB, 60 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:40 PM   #33
ceevee
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

This bug finally got to me. No issues until recently. When my iPhone is connected to CarPlay, my GPS location in Apple Maps or any navigation app is incorrect. As long as the iPhone is not connected to CarPlay, the GPS in Apple Maps/navigation app is okay.

Built in BMW navigation GPS location is fine, with or without the iPhone connected to CarPlay. Software is 11/2022.60

EDIT: I was able to fix it by holding down the power button/volume control knob until it turned off. When it automatically turned back on, the GPS location on the iPhone navigation apps connected to CarPlay was accurate.

Last edited by ceevee; 03-29-2023 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 06:51 AM   #34
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep

Finally got my 330e into the dealership yesterday for software upgrade.

They utilized the service bulletin in the post above.

No errors on my way home, however, that is not even remotely definitive at this point.

Time will tell, and I will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 01:17 PM   #35
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep

Didn’t work. Same errors.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 08:18 PM   #36
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

I've been getting these gps errors a lot, I tried holding down the power button in the car for the infotainment system, no fix
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 06:18 PM   #37
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalferd View Post
If you're having GPS issues, have you verified that your phone has an unobstructed view of the sky? Like not in the cubby with the cover down? Or am I missing something?
Yup - definitely checked that. It’s now a known issue and bmw is promising a fix next month. Time will tell
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 08:19 PM   #38
luisadn3
Rep
Drives: M340i

Having the same issue over and over and over. I tried to reset the app, soft reset the phone and even re-pair lol! ”Repair” carplay and still drifting. Need help ASAP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 04:54 PM   #39
Eljefe25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i xdrive

Yeah it’s a super annoying bug. I’ve stopped using CarPlay because of it. I just use the Idrive navigation, which I’m starting to really like since it shows the map in the HUD as well.

I saw someone mention it earlier as well, but my car location was off as well in the my bmw app. Shows my car as hundreds of feet away from where it is. I thought my car got stolen this morning when I checked the app. I Had to run out and check. Refreshing the app also does nothing to update my car location. I’ll drive it later and see if that changes anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 11:36 AM   #40
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone noticed a recent reduction in this issue??? My subjective experience has been less errors and GPS drift. Wondering if BMW may have pushed a software fix????
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:07 PM   #41
TheFatArmadillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 23 M340x, 993 Cab

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a recent reduction in this issue??? My subjective experience has been less errors and GPS drift. Wondering if BMW may have pushed a software fix????
I had stopped using it entirely since it was so bad. I’ll give it a try in the next couple of days and report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 05:50 PM   #42
TheFatArmadillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 23 M340x, 993 Cab

Quote:
Drove for about 20 miles today with Waze - had no issues. Maybe this fixed. Thanks for telling us it was working for you, I had given up on it!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 06:16 PM   #43
luisadn3
Rep
Drives: M340i

Still having that issue and also my wipers turn on by itself (is not on Auto)and stop midway. Idk why!!!! But is &&;!3c me off!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #44
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Had someone at the local bmw dealership tell me to turn your vpn off on your phone and it might work. I haven’t tried it out to see if this was a fix but if it worked for anyone else, lmk.
Appreciate 0