Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Hardwire dashcam

06-23-2023, 04:24 PM   #133
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3ung View Post
Thanks to Joedeejay for the picture and link. Using this information along with countless hours of research and youtube videos, I believe I found the solution that works for my LHD Canada 330i xDrive.

I purchased fuse taps from Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Fuse Assignments are:

*For BATT - Fuse 38 (Empty) - Assigned to NFC Charging
->Slotted a 5A & 3A fuse to the fuse tap.

*For ACC - Fuse 71 - (Occupied) - Assigned to Ambient Lighting
->Slotted the existing 5A fuse and added the 3A fuse to the fuse tap

*For GROUND - Drilled a small hole the size of a #12 bolt into the metal bracket which holds the Airbag (See image). There is a screw and nut which holds one side of the airbag to the bracket, but I discovered you can't take the screw off or get enough space in between to slip the ground wire in. No other metal screws in the vicinity so drilling was my only option.

*Set the limiter to 12.2v

My reasons for going this route. If you can understand fuse taps and which side is the LOAD and DRAW sides then you will have a better understanding of the direction the fuse taps need to be plugged in and which direction the fuses themselves need to be plugged in to prevent blowing the fuses. Since the fuse box presents some slotting challenges, I worked with what was available.

Fuse 38 was empty and only assigned to one item in the car (NFC Charging).
Fuse 71, although occupied, was only assigned to one item in the car (ambient lighting). It also provided enough distance from the other fuse tap to fit nicely.
This information was verified using the fuse diagram and the link above.

(Side note: I chose not to mess with F59 as this was also assigned to Driver Assistance.)

I tested the dashcam overnight (12 hours) as I left it to do its thing in the car. Checked the footage in the morning and looked good. Then went to go start my car and that was also smooth.

I've adjusted my parking mode settings and will monitor the results in the coming days.

My YouTube Video Explanation of the Ground Wire:
Note-It's not upside down, this is what the view looks like if you are to lay on the floor and look up

Here is the image of my setup:

Hope this helps!

I'll post a video showing the final outcome in the next day or so.
*Update: Video Added*

Thanks for everyone's input prior to installation. Very helpful and appreciative.

We’re u ever able to get the a pillar trim to sit more flush with the headliner than it is in ur video ? I notice there’s a gap created by the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #134
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Thanks for the helpful posts, everyone! Just finished installing my Viofo A139 Pro 2 channel I got from Blackboxmycar. I used the fuses as mentioned on page 2 using the Viofo HK3-C Hardwire kit. Works perfectly including the parking mode! I used the T20 bolt that's holding up the glovebox instead of the airbag which is a few inches to the left of that bolt. Still works and don't need to touch the airbag at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 07:11 PM   #135
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
We’re u ever able to get the a pillar trim to sit more flush with the headliner than it is in ur video ? I notice there’s a gap created by the wiring.
It's a soft material, you just have to kind of massage it out straight. I had the same issue but with some effort I got it back to where it has zero gap.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #136
CoachTrippleB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Smile Use fuse 74 & 38 on the G20’s fuse box

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Try F46 (or one of the others) as they are for the cigarette lighters.
Gonna jump in here as I just successfully hard wire my VIOFO A129 Pro dash cam to the fuse box located in drivers footwell (right hand drive U.K model)
I tapped into fuse No:74 which protects the USB socket in the car as my ACC accessory connection (10amp mini fuse) then after lots of false hope connections I stumbled across fuse slot No:38 (5amp mini fuse) which was empty on my car but it had power going to it , this I used for my BAT Battery connection which has constant power therefore allowing me to access the ‘Parking Mode ‘ feature on my camera.
I had to purchase the VIOFO HK-3-c hardwire kit as well as mini fuse taps/fuses from Amazon as VIOFO as well as some other companies DO NOT provide the extra parts that in my opinion ought to come in the box. That way newbies like me can have a much smoother easier experience in installing a plug & play gadget.
The hardwire kit for me was essential as it comes with a car battery protector so the cam doesn’t drain my rather expensive car battery.
Been a week now & everything is working fine for me.
Hope this post helps many others ,
Happy driving , peace! ☮️
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #137
Kryten2340
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d ED Plus (2015)

Is it wise to disconnect the battery when fitting both a front and rear dashcam on the G20? I'm due to be installing a Nextbase 522 bundle in the next few days using power from the ODB port.

I did want to purchase the BMW Advanced Eye 3 pro kit but the local dealer would not supply this saying it had to be fitted by themselves. Not sure if its worth the extra £100 for this either as I got the Nextbase bundle (with memory card) and ODB hard wire kit for £225.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #138
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten2340 View Post
I did want to purchase the BMW Advanced Eye 3 pro kit but the local dealer would not supply this saying it had to be fitted by themselves.
Paddleshifterz sells the Advanced Car Eye
Advanced Car Eye 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 04:51 PM   #139
marbab
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 2019

Anyone knows what fuses in the boot are "always on" and "on when ignition is on"?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:44 PM   #140
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbab View Post
Anyone knows what fuses in the boot are "always on" and "on when ignition is on"?
thanks
The battery is in the boot. Use that as always on.
Appreciate 1
marbab3.00
      03-12-2024, 02:16 PM   #141
Reachg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 (2020)

I hardwired my Viofo A129 Pro Duo directly to the car battery and rear fuse box. This requires soldering/crimping to extend the hardwire kit.
I used this wire from Amazon:

20AWG UL2464 Power Cable LED Red & Black & Yellow 3 Conductors tinned Copper (2464-20AWG-3C- 25ft)

Red to battery + terminal
Black to battery - terminal
Yellow to fuse tap to Rear fuse box F214

Thanks to previous posters who shared fuse diagrams. I was following the CarEye instructions which didn’t work for the Viofo A129, but all good now that F214 worked.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:12 PM   #142
scotes
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Plenty of great helpful info here. Am going to use Fuse 59 as ACC for my dash cam but have a question regarding the fuse tap. Which side of the fuse (in the box) is the power side and which is the device side? Want to make sure I am orienting the fuse tap the correct way as it looks like in some of the photos people have them going both ways - which in some cases is incorrect. Thanks!
Appreciate 0