Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G26 Gran Coupe disappointments after G20...

01-25-2024, 04:02 PM   #23
panki_86
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive Individual

I understand OP.

So in my 2020 M340i i have Carplay and Driving Assist Pro. I also pay for Apple Music every year.
I pay for Booster and map package, so i have RTTi, updated maps over USB and online, Connected Music (spotify) also.

BMW navigation in ID7 with HUD and Driving Assist Pro is far more advanced than free Google maps.
I am using Google maps in company cars and BMW maps in my M340i. You cannot compare them.
Google maps don't know in which lane you are, don't know to stop at red light, don't know to brake when you need to turn, don't know to automatically adjust speed to speed limits, don't know to use adaptive drive,... It is a simple free phone navigation.
So what is better in Google maps? Nothing, not even one single benifit.

For music i use music videos in my car from USB drive or BMW Connected Music (Spotify).
So in car u can search for songs or playlists from Spotify. You don't even need to have phone with you in car, it uses interenet from car build-in SIM card. So i don't care for costs when i travel out of European Union.
Because i don't use CarPlay in my car, my phone battery last 1000km of trip without problem, my phone is always cold
Appreciate 1
zlatko117.50
      01-25-2024, 09:41 PM   #24
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by panki_86 View Post

Google maps don't know in which lane you are, don't know to stop at red light, don't know to brake when you need to turn, don't know to automatically adjust speed to speed limits... It is a simple free phone navigation. So what is better in Google maps? Nothing, not even one single benifit.

What are you talking about? I've used Google Maps on Carplay all over the world and it shows traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, and which lane to be in (see above). And it has a great feature where it shows you an alternate road to take right on the screen, you don't need to hit any buttons, and it has a little speech bubble that tells you how much faster/slower that decision will be (see above).

BMW maps is like 2005 by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:55 AM   #25
panki_86
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

What are you talking about? I've used Google Maps on Carplay all over the world and it shows traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, and which lane to be in (see above). And it has a great feature where it shows you an alternate road to take right on the screen, you don't need to hit any buttons, and it has a little speech bubble that tells you how much faster/slower that decision will be (see above).

BMW maps is like 2005 by comparison.
I am not speaking about showing traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits and which lane to be.
My car automatically stops at red light and stop signs, automatically reduce speed on speed limits and it shows in which lane you are and in which lane you need to move (it use car's Kafas kameras). Google maps don't know in which lane you are, it just shows in which lane you need to be. And google maps don't hit brake or gas pedal in your car
When you need to turn or exit on highway my car brakes itself.
You also have alternative roads, because car took info from RTTi and TMC.
You also have colored roads with green, yellow and red (depend of traffic situation).

Google maps is not working together with Driving Assist Pro, it is basic not integrated navigation.
I am also traveling a lot over the world, outside of Europe i use Google maps, in Europe i use BMW maps. I can compare, I can see the difference...

Last edited by panki_86; 01-26-2024 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
zlatko117.50
      01-26-2024, 03:40 AM   #26
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

One thing I've noticed on the new car with ID8.5 that I couldn't do with ID7, is that I can set the main screen Nav on Google Maps and then set the nav on BMW.

You get best of both then.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:48 AM   #27
Turisto
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D G20

Quote:
I am not speaking about showing traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits and which lane to be.
My car automatically stops at red light and stop signs, automatically reduce speed on speed limits and it shows in which lane you are and in which lane you need to move (it use car's Kafas kameras). Google maps don't know in which lane you are, it just shows in which lane you need to be. And google maps don't hit brake or gas pedal in your car
When you need to turn or exit on highway my car brakes itself.
You also have alternative roads, because car took info from RTTi and TMC.
You also have colored roads with green, yellow and red (depend of traffic situation).

Google maps is not working together with Driving Assist Pro, it is basic not integrated navigation.
I am also traveling a lot over the world, outside of Europe i use Google maps, in Europe i use BMW maps. I can compare, I can see the difference...
Fully agree. That's I was talking about that CarPlay apps aren't well fit / integrated to the car different subsystems.
I also have Assistant Pro in new car and had it in my previous G20. And BMW navigation + HUD is far more superior than Google Maps. Especially in G20.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 03:08 AM   #28
Turisto
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D G20

This is how road exits look in G20:

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  687.7 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 124
Size:  598.1 KB
Appreciate 1
panki_86112.00
      01-27-2024, 12:09 PM   #29
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

The head unit, hud and all the infotainment are IDENTICAL between both cars for the same model year.exactly the same hardware and the same software.

The only different is that there will be a different audio eq applied to account for the different body shape.

As others mentioned, idrive 7 v 8 is substantially different.

Where the g20 and g26 differ is body components, suspension and mechanical setup
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:22 PM   #30
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turisto View Post
This is how road exits look in G20:
Correction! That's what it looks like with iDrive 7. Same for G26 and other G2x with iDrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 05:11 PM   #31
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turisto View Post
Fully agree. That's I was talking about that CarPlay apps aren't well fit / integrated to the car different subsystems.
I also have Assistant Pro in new car and had it in my previous G20. And BMW navigation + HUD is far more superior than Google Maps. Especially in G20.
No, it’s not. You are trading superior routing, mapping, and navigating for screen redundancy. I mean, you really need three screens to know when to make a turn? Three?

And the point of the ultimate driving machine is to drive the machine. Not to let it drive you. Same for audio. Time for CarPlay. You can do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:11 AM   #32
panki_86
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
No, it’s not. You are trading superior routing, mapping, and navigating for screen redundancy. I mean, you really need three screens to know when to make a turn? Three?

And the point of the ultimate driving machine is to drive the machine. Not to let it drive you. Same for audio. Time for CarPlay. You can do it.
I think BMW navi is not using same options in US and EU, because of that we think BMW maps are better and You think Google maps are batter.
It is not a problem to drive alone, but in traffic jams and long trips i prefer to use "self driving" option. Or sometimes i don't have a will to drive, so i use Driving assist Pro.
When i want to fully use my ultimate driving machine i go to our Alps and drive hill climbing. Manually use only 2 and 3 gear and all assistance to off. To use whole gas tank in less than half hour. That is fun for me
Appreciate 2
zlatko117.50
toddwalton1306.00
      01-29-2024, 04:32 AM   #33
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

I'd always prefer to see my GPS speed, live traffic data with a very accurate time of arrival estimate, cops on the road and all other sorts of community map pins in Waze, opposed to some slight additional autopilot functionality and a photorealistic HUD. Not to mention that it's powered by the phone's SoC and is therefore 5 times more responsive than both iDrive 7 and iDrive 8's native navigations. I can also type in the address directly from my phone and not rely on the touchscreen/controller or hope that the voice assistant understands me. And iDrive 8 makes all this Waze functionality twice more legible on the main screen at that too. On iDrive 7 I had to literally squint to see the main display.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1306.00
      01-29-2024, 09:44 AM   #34
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
I think BMW navi is not using same options in US and EU, because of that we think BMW maps are better and You think Google maps are batter.
It is not a problem to drive alone, but in traffic jams and long trips i prefer to use "self driving" option. Or sometimes i don't have a will to drive, so i use Driving assist Pro.
When i want to fully use my ultimate driving machine i go to our Alps and drive hill climbing. Manually use only 2 and 3 gear and all assistance to off. To use whole gas tank in less than half hour. That is fun for me
I went home and tested a few of the items you listed. The navigation system is far better for you. I wish we had that in the U.S.

I would love to have the same level of detail you have in the HUD. And the best part, if you don't want to look at it simply ignore it. But I would rather have it and ignore it than not have it at all.

I also use the Driving Assistance on longer drives and it does make a difference. One of my regular trips, that I make about 3 times a week, is 296 miles (496km) round trip. Other than the last few miles at either end, I don't have to do anything more than keep a few fingers on the wheel and use the turn signal when I want to lane change. It is really relaxing.
Appreciate 0