Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Remus race exhaust drone and vibration

02-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
Chris91
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Remus race exhaust drone and vibration

Thought I would share a recent experience I’ve just had after fitting a Remus race exhaust and race cat.

I had the exhaust fitted and the car remapped and on the drive home I hated the sound. The drone and vibration was out of this world and the worst I’ve ever heard, especially around 2k revs. I genuinely thought I’d made a mistake and was going to have to get another or put it back to standard.

I read up and found a post saying to disable the active sound design (ASD). As this amplifies the exhaust and adds sound through the cars speakers.

I downloaded BimmerCode app and did this and when I’ve taken the car out today the sound is perfect. There is still slight drone which is undertandable with the set up but it’s night and day the change in sound. No vibrations.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else experiences this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 02:31 AM   #2
Younge
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got a remus sport exhaust and an akraprovic downpipe sitting on my floor awaiting to be installed.

Are you using the Oem mid with/without opf?

I found a 200 - 300 cell decat to be the sweet spot for those looking for more noise without drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #3
Chris91
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

I went full exhaust change. I have a whifbitz hi flow cat and the Remus race exhaust cat back with the opf delete pipe.

As per my previous post. Turning off the sound through the speakers made a massive difference but there was still a fair bit of drone. I have played around with it this morning and extended the tips out an inch rather than flush with the bumper and I would say this then got rid of 70% of the drone that was left. It now doesn’t drone at all on the motorway where it did before and it’s spot on in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris91 View Post
I went full exhaust change. I have a whifbitz hi flow cat and the Remus race exhaust cat back with the opf delete pipe.

As per my previous post. Turning off the sound through the speakers made a massive difference but there was still a fair bit of drone. I have played around with it this morning and extended the tips out an inch rather than flush with the bumper and I would say this then got rid of 70% of the drone that was left. It now doesn’t drone at all on the motorway where it did before and it’s spot on in my opinion.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 03:13 AM   #5
flyknit
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris91 View Post

do you need to code off the opf? i have remus sports installed and now thinking of getting the remus midpipe to increase the exhaust sound
Appreciate 0