Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Z4 E85 M/3L or 911 996 Carrera

02-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

BMW Z4 E85 M/3L or 911 996 Carrera

Looking for advice from anyone who experienced the BMW Z4 E85 M or 3 litre as well as the 911 996 Carrera, as my 2nd garage queen, with manual gear box, I am not into track days, but looking more for a cruiser with a manual gear box that I miss, and a nice engine noise, I am also incline to take design seriously, and a big fun of the looks of the Z4 coupe, not too keen on the roadster!
The 911 996 not the best looking 911 but the 911 lines are present, my only concerns are the earlier model reliability issues, after all it was the time Porsche was on the blink of going down and only saved by the boxster, so not surprise the quality was at its lowest by Porsche standards.
The reason why I am pushing for earlier model on both cars is to avail of the Classic Insurance possible when the cars hit 20 even when from Road tax side still not a Classic until 30 years of age, I am in Ireland like some Nordic countries, the place is hell for Petrol heads due to high taxes and Insurance prices, a 4 cylinder 5 series F10 matches the price of an X5 straight six in England.

Nothing beat getting the feedback from someone with ownership of both or either, thanks for all your suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Z4m coupe hands down. S54 and playful chassis with hydrolic steering make this car extemely fun
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 5
      02-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Z4m coupe hands down. S54 and playful chassis with hydrolic steering make this car extemely fun
Not to mention the IMS problem Porsche had.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I had a 996 and now the Z4MC, the 996 was a nice car, lots of fun and pretty fast but it just wasn't the same. I find the BMW to be a little more hands on, both solid cars but the BMW want's you to pay more attention to what you're doing. The other thing I'll say is once I got the 996 I noticed that you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one. P cars are great, they are beautiful and very plentiful. Until you get into a really special one like at GT4 or a 993 you'll feel that you're not driving something unique. The Z4MC is very unique, it gets lots of interest and lots of thumbs up. For me, there is no comparison, both are pretty evenly matched in performance and handling but two very different animals and the BMW is the special one.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

I owned an S54 engine based E46/M3 for a while, and was not into tracking/lapping back in the days. I traded it for an E39/M5, and love it but it was way too heavy on the track. I test drove an S54 based 2007 Z4M coupe a few years later on the street, and took my helmet with me to see if my tall 6'-4" framr would fit in the somewhat cramped cockpit. I drove a stock 996 911 for a few laps on the track, I rode in a 996 Turbo as a passenger. I test drove a 2006 Cayman S with 19" wheels on the street.

My most memorable moments were in the unique Z4M coupe hands down. I do not care for the Z4M roadster myself. Although the S54 is a little low on torque, it is a wonderful N/A engine with linear power delivery, and it can rev to the sky. To this day, I can barely keep up with lightly modded E46/M3 on the track, and my "mediumly" modded 135i makes more HP and way more torque ...

Love the unique looks of the Z4M coupe. It is a classic, and fun car. I like the way the cockpit wraps around you, and has minimalist approach. The Z4M coupe's are holding their value on the market due to their rarity too. There seems to be more lower-priced Z4M roadster's on the makret ...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:34 AM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks folks, very good point RABAUKE, had a chance in the past to drive 911’s but never the GT4 or 993, I am also trying to find a Z4M to test drive, quite rare in Ireland, and would love the uniqueness of it that I keep coming across on forums and all, I just need to test drive one, I will have to go to the UK for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
I had a 996 and now the Z4MC, the 996 was a nice car, lots of fun and pretty fast but it just wasn't the same. I find the BMW to be a little more hands on, both solid cars but the BMW want's you to pay more attention to what you're doing. The other thing I'll say is once I got the 996 I noticed that you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one. P cars are great, they are beautiful and very plentiful. Until you get into a really special one like at GT4 or a 993 you'll feel that you're not driving something unique. The Z4MC is very unique, it gets lots of interest and lots of thumbs up. For me, there is no comparison, both are pretty evenly matched in performance and handling but two very different animals and the BMW is the special one.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I am also not too keen on the Roadster, and all be it the prices are way lower than the Coupe, I even checked the hard top that can fit the roadster, the Coupe is for sure unique with its lines. I probably end up going for the S54 engine based E46/M3, purely down to running cost on the insurance side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I owned an S54 engine based E46/M3 for a while, and was not into tracking/lapping back in the days. I traded it for an E39/M5, and love it but it was way too heavy on the track. I test drove an S54 based 2007 Z4M coupe a few years later on the street, and took my helmet with me to see if my tall 6'-4" framr would fit in the somewhat cramped cockpit. I drove a stock 996 911 for a few laps on the track, I rode in a 996 Turbo as a passenger. I test drove a 2006 Cayman S with 19" wheels on the street.

My most memorable moments were in the unique Z4M coupe hands down. I do not care for the Z4M roadster myself. Although the S54 is a little low on torque, it is a wonderful N/A engine with linear power delivery, and it can rev to the sky. To this day, I can barely keep up with lightly modded E46/M3 on the track, and my "mediumly" modded 135i makes more HP and way more torque ...

Love the unique looks of the Z4M coupe. It is a classic, and fun car. I like the way the cockpit wraps around you, and has minimalist approach. The Z4M coupe's are holding their value on the market due to their rarity too. There seems to be more lower-priced Z4M roadster's on the makret ...
Appreciate 0