Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grrrrrr! My car got keyed

12-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #23
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Sorry to hear. Personally I'd get a touch up pen for this and take care of it if you wanted to go the cheapest route.
Nah.

Talk to a professional detailer. You have options there that don't involve body ships and further panel refinishing.
All I see a professional detailer doing is possibly wet sanding the area if the scratch isn't deep enough and only goes to the clear coat. Any scratches that are deeper that reach metal won't work with wet sanding.

Not sure what other options a detailer will be able to provide.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #24
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear. Personally I'd get a touch up pen for this and take care of it if you wanted to go the cheapest route.
Nah.

Talk to a professional detailer. You have options there that don't involve body ships and further panel refinishing.
All I see a professional detailer doing is possibly wet sanding the area if the scratch isn't deep enough and only goes to the clear coat. Any scratches that are deeper that reach metal won't work with wet sanding.

Always approach the problem with the path of least intrusion and work from there.

Repainting panels should be the absolute last option. Doesn't do any favors to your resale (If
You own the car of course) and most people see repainting as accident repair (even if it had nothing to do with it in the first place)

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah.

Always approach the problem with the path of least intrusion and work from there.

Repainting panels should be the absolute last option. Doesn't do any favors to your resale (If
You own the car of course) and most people see repainting as accident repair (even if it had nothing to do with it in the first place)
I agree. That's why I said I wouldn't have a shop do it and resurface/repaint anything. A professional detailer as you said can give it a shot and if it doesn't work I'd still just get a touch up pen and take care of it myself.

OP, try all the most cost effective approaches because things like this can happen more often than you think if you drive a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #26
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I agree with the touch-up/wet sand method. Repainting is overkill. And think about it. What happens if, god forbid, this happens again after you’ve got the panel repainted? Are you going to keep repainting it? Scratches are inevitable. I used to be anal about all this but I’ve burnt my fingers one too many times on it to know that it isn’t worth repainting/fixing every time you get a new scratch.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

OP, if you're leasing the vehicle, just touch it up with a OEM pen and save the money for payments.

I had a "friend" who accidentally scratched the side of a brand new loaner car because he's accustom to a smaller vehicle.

Anyways, he had some OEM paint in his garage, so he spray painted that same night.

Over six months later, he hasn't heard a peep from the dealership. Don't underestimate the benefits of touch-up paint.

Of course, I personally find that unethical but since my "friend" is the one who did this, I'm still going to get into Heaven..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0