Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Finally got to try Assisted Driving Plus

12-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #45
homerjay
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 / G20 330i

Unable to get the lane assist feature working. I have a July build 330i with the Drive Assistance Pro package and driving assistance in the live cockpit dash.

Drive Assist Plus works, but haven't been able to find the right combination of settings/speed for the lane change to work. I've used the 3-blink feature on the turn signal stalk (as opposed to pushing up or pushing down all the way) to try to activate and it doesn't work. Does someone have the requirements for the lane assist feature so I can try again...?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #46
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd54321 View Post
Does someone have the requirements for the lane assist feature so I can try again...?
It's disabled by default on US delivered G20. You have to enable it via Esys as detailed in other recent threads.

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-06-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #47
homerjay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
It's disabled by default on US delivered G20. You have to enable it via Esys as detailed in other recent threads.
Thank you - hope to get it enabled tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #48
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Assisted Driving View seems to currently only be available on G20 models built in July 2019 or later and came from the factory with the 07.2019.xx software build (and have Driving Assistance Pro). For whatever reason - even updating to the latest software does not seem to enable this feature on older G20's although it can be coded to enable it (at least thats what others have said).
I've heard the same, but at the price of potentially losing the pre-July ECU flash on the car (now recalled), I'm hesitant to let anything be re-coded that could cost me power.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #49
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjay View Post
Unable to get the lane assist feature working. I have a July build 330i with the Drive Assistance Pro package and driving assistance in the live cockpit dash.

Drive Assist Plus works, but haven't been able to find the right combination of settings/speed for the lane change to work. I've used the 3-blink feature on the turn signal stalk (as opposed to pushing up or pushing down all the way) to try to activate and it doesn't work. Does someone have the requirements for the lane assist feature so I can try again...?
Yes.

First, you need a car that has been optioned with this feature (not a standard option). I know it's included in the Executive packages, but not sure about the others.

Second, you need to find an active traffic jam, this particular mode DOES NOT become available in the menu until/unless you are actively in a traffic scenario (as detected by the car's radar).

Third, WHILE IN TRAFFIC, to enable this mode do the following: Press the cruise mode button to select the normal Lane-Keep/Distance control, set your speed, and keep some hand-contact with the wheel to let the LKAS do it's thing. You may have to be in this mode for a minute, to let the car detect the on-going true start-stop traffic. (Taking your hands off the wheel longer than 10 seconds or so will result in warning alerts to grab on) Be patient, do what it asks for just a minute until it's 'happy' with the congested state of traffic.

Once the car detects the stop-and-start flow of traffic, you should automatically hear an audible noise/chime and see an on-screen prompt letting you know that Driving Assist Plus is now available. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT'S TURNED ON, it just means that you can now pick it).

Touch the cruise-mode button *one more time* on the steering wheel and you should see the green-light indicators on the wheel light up. You should also see the speed limiter for the cruise auto-set itself to 40mph.

That's it, keep your eyes forward and the car will do the rest. Acceleration/auto-stop/start/braking/steering.

Rules for use:
  • Keep your eyes forward, no side glancing more than 5 seconds or so, the camera behind the digital dash is watching for your eyes (even behind glasses)
  • If you touch the brakes, the system will disengage (per normal cruise control rules, but clicking resume does not automatically re-engage DAP)
  • Changing lanes will disengage the system the same as pressing the brake. Once in your new lane, you can follow the same process until the DAP system offers itself to you once again.
  • The car does not know your exit, it just stays in its lane.
  • If one of the road lines disappears, you'll see the system adjust your 'center of lane' to the remaining line it CAN detect.
  • In hard-rain/snow scenarios, this feature may not be available due to the radar not being able to be certain enough about what it's seeing.

I do this almost every single work-day - it's extremely easy to use once you know the 'rules'. The car then drives 5-6 miles of my commute for me. It's almost trippy the first-couple of times, especially when the flow of traffic picks up to like 39mph and then dead-stops - it's a trip to see your car handling those kinds of slow downs in a turn - without you having to touch a thing.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #50
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Midlo_Man View Post
Yes.
Pretty sure he was asking how to get the lane change feature to work, not AD Plus. Good explanation though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #51
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure he was asking how to get the lane change feature to work, not AD Plus. Good explanation though.
Short answer here would be to simply press the cruise mode button while driving until you see the indicator with a steering wheel and two lines on either side. Use the distance control button on the wheel to modify spacing settings. Use the up/down toggle on the left hand of the wheel to increment/decrement speed limiter. Normal cancel/resume operation as any other car really.

Only caveats would be similar weather compromising radar functionality (and it has to be decently severe weather). Good to go in most circumstances. Also, LKAS will resume after an indicated/executed lane change unlike the Active Steering Pro (autonomous driving).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #52
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

I've never seen the plus icon show up on my dash and I have a Sept build 330e with all the driver assistance packs available, maybe that's an US thing only?
The car does keep the lane and starts/stops in traffic on it's own but hands must always be on the wheel or the warning shows up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #53
homerjay
Rep

Quote:
Short answer here would be to simply press the cruise mode button while driving until you see the indicator with a steering wheel and two lines on either side. Use the distance control button on the wheel to modify spacing settings. Use the up/down toggle on the left hand of the wheel to increment/decrement speed limiter. Normal cancel/resume operation as any other car really.

Only caveats would be similar weather compromising radar functionality (and it has to be decently severe weather). Good to go in most circumstances. Also, LKAS will resume after an indicated/executed lane change unlike the Active Steering Pro (autonomous driving).
To reiterate, I'm asking about the Lane Change feature. See attached pic for the Cluster display. See video below:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #54
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To reiterate, I'm asking about the Lane Change feature. See attached pic for the Cluster display. See video below:

I don't know if this is part of a new release/update to the system - I haven't seen this one - and I have an optioned out version of the car, but the last time I updated iDrive was back in the first week of June...

In my build, I typically throw the blinker and as soon as I touch the wheel, it disengages the Active Steering Pro, turns-off the 'green lights' from the steering wheel which indicate ASP is active, and the LKAS is essentially 'temporarily off' until I'm stable in the new lane. Then LKAS auto-resumes. ASP will become an option again once the car determines that the traffic jam is persisting.

But I have not seen a dash indication as you've shown - I'd love to know if the car do a trick I'm not aware of. Wonder if this is a geo-restricted feature...?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #55
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Medio Man,
Thank you for the best, as well as, the most complete explanation of the use of this great tool. (I used it for the first time yesterday. Luckily, I'm not a commuter.)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #56
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But I have not seen a dash indication as you've shown - I'd love to know if the car do a trick I'm not aware of. Wonder if this is a geo-restricted feature...?
Scroll up...

Quote:

Quote:
More info here.... https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...t#post25509087

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-11-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #57
homerjay
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the specific post link!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #58
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
Medio Man,
Thank you for the best, as well as, the most complete explanation of the use of this great tool. (I used it for the first time yesterday. Luckily, I'm not a commuter.)
Haha - I made a bad assumption earlier when looking at the YouTube video linked earlier in this chain and didn't even watch it. My mistake. Because of course, it would have taught me how to automatically make Lane changes. I learn something new in this car all the time. Appears that once in LKAS/DAP holding the indicator in the direction you want to go, all the way to the resistance point, but not actually completing the indication should work without losing the LKAS/ASP systems - I'm going to try this on the way home today! That's super-exciting.

Also - after the latest flash was performed while in for some recalls yesterday, my the center of my central dash display now shows when other cars are detected in front, side, during ASP etc - interested to see how well these new dash enhancements work.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #59
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to try this on the way home today! That's super-exciting.
I think you also missed the explanation above that this feature is disabled on your car. On US delivered G20, you have to perform coding via Esys to enable automatic lane change.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #60
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retart13 View Post
I have a question about the driving plus. I'm currently considering (in the near future) getting an X3 M40i or M340i with the full driving assist pro package.

My next job will have a long commute (~60 miles each way on US limited access highway for a majority of the trip) without rush hour interference. The Extended traffic jam assist looks awesome, but I'm primarily concerned with open freeway features (driving around 75 mph).

-How does the tech work as far as letting you relax on open road?
-Has anyone compared with Cadilac's supercruise handsfree feature?
So - it works inasmuch at speeds above 40mph you will have to keep regular contact with the wheel (throws a warning after about 10-15 seconds of no-contact), but the LKAS and Steering Assist will keep you in lane, mind the gap between the car in front of you (at whichever distance interval you select), and smack the breaks if needed. Yes, you can set the cruise above the posted limit. Yes it will slow you down if behind a slower car, but will speed back up to the setting once the car gets out of the way (or you change lanes).

It will not make lane-changes for you as far as I can tell in mine, but will automatically resume after you execute the lane change.

Additionally, it won't take exits for you. I still find the assistance helpful. Feet off the pedals, a hand on the wheel that's generally doing all the work. But as with all things, nothing is truly autonomous yet, and the liability remains with the driver to pay attention.

I drive a ~20 mile total commute through some heavy traffic for 6-7 miles nearly every day, and the traffic jam assist lets me completely drop my hands, feet off, eyes forward and blissfully gets me through the worst of it (no exits). That right there, has been amazing for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #61
Freelancer withour work
Enlisted Member
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
I took a trip to NY this weekend and decided to try the "Assisted Driving Plus". It is AMAZING!! You have to make sure the camera is enabled (mine was turned off by default) Once you get into a traffic jam situation (under 40mph) a message comes up telling you that "assisted Driving plus is Available", once you see that just tap the "mode" switch and sit back and relax! The lights on the steering wheel turn green and you are just along for the ride.
HI Can you give me a code?
I wanna test my country.
2020 ~ BMW G20 320i
Appreciate 0