Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

12-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #67
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I have driven at least 2 m-sport sedan and both were quiet.
Interesting! Were they both G20 2019 models?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #68
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
Quote:
I have driven at least 2 m-sport sedan and both were quiet.
Interesting! Were they both G20 2019 models?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #69
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

Has anyone tried a 2020 G20 M-Sport model?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #70
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Has anyone tried a 2020 G20 M-Sport model?
I really don't know if it was 2020 or 2019 that I drove.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #71
LaGSa
Rep
Drives: XC 90 T8 RUDE 2023

Unhappy It's a Scandinavian thing

I have an F36 but you both describe the problem I still have. Keeping in mind that the roads here in Sweden, at least the south, are terrible when it comes to noise caused by the asphalt, it's very possible that are indeed the tires and a slightly noisier car.

My car, for instance, was found to be slightly noisier already at idle and all my winter tires, delivered by the dealer, were all found uneven although balanced.
On the other hand, I was told that the noise was withing limit and the tires, although gotten via BMW, I should have claimed to the manufacturer.

I'n my case, having run flats doesn't help too.

If you can, get a new car or at least tires.

My previous BMWs were all quieter than this one although, in my opinion, they are always nosier than the other germans.

In any case, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #72
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Quote:
Actually, I just delivered my car to my dealer this morning and I was told that I wouldn't get my car back until it's fixed.
So, I've got a G20 320d loaner now - without the annoying noise btw :-)
Quote:
I also leaved my car at the dealer this morning but they still not have localized where the sound come from. They keep on trying until they find it, and I will not take it back before this is solved.
Hey guys, any new developments? Are the dealers still fighting the issue?
This noise gets more and more annoying, I noticed it gets slightly worse when the roads are damp, starting around 40 km/h. Did the dealers confirmed the noise also when stationary?

What a mystery
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #73
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
A few weeks ago, I picked up my 330i M-sport from the dealer and right away I noticed a weird sound in the cabin, sounding something like a mix of a grinding noise and a wind/tire noise. Took it to the dealer and he replaced the front wheel bearings. That didn't help. He tried with another set of wheels (different tire brand) - that didn't help either. The sound starts around 20 mph and is pretty constant all the way up to 80 mph. It's really annoying and the dealer shop hasn't been able to locate the source of the noise yet. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look or what could make this sound?

The noise tend to get a little better on new and fresh asfalt which could indicate tires. But this was already ruled out with a different set of tires. Actually we have tried with two different sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires. Makes no difference what so ever.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Did they really replaced a wheel bearing in a brand new car??? If they did don't ever go back to that dealership
      12-19-2019, 03:30 AM   #74
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
I really don't know if it was 2020 or 2019 that I drove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Hey guys, any new developments? Are the dealers still fighting the issue?
This noise gets more and more annoying, I noticed it gets slightly worse when the roads are damp, starting around 40 km/h. Did the dealers confirmed the noise also when stationary?

What a mystery
No good news from here :-( They have had the car for over a week now and tried replacing bearings, suspension etc. without luck. They said it's only people with M-Sport suspensions?
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 04:11 AM   #75
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, I see that they are really committed. Replacing parts doesn't work, so it looks like a design flaw... but then all cars (tourings with m-sport suspension) would be affected. I wonder if that is the case, only most people think it is normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:18 AM   #76
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I see that they are really committed. Replacing parts doesn't work, so it looks like a design flaw... but then all cars (tourings with m-sport suspension) would be affected. I wonder if that is the case, only most people think it is normal.
Yes.. And most people probably won't notice it or thinks its normal.

What I really don't understand, is why this sound appears on the Touring and not the Sedan model. Doesn't make sense in my head as all the suspension parts are the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:56 AM   #77
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes.. And most people probably won't notice it or thinks its normal.

What I really don't understand, is why this sound appears on the Touring and not the Sedan model. Doesn't make sense in my head as all the suspension parts are the same.
It may not be the suspension itself but the combination of suspension and chassis, maybe the suspension noise is present in G20 as well, but only in touring it is somehow amplified and transferred to the cabin via chassis/body.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #78
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
It may not be the suspension itself but the combination of suspension and chassis, maybe the suspension noise is present in G20 as well, but only in touring it is somehow amplified and transferred to the cabin via chassis/body.
Yes, it could be.

I just talked with the dealer and they are in contact with BMW in Sweden and Germany as well and they are trying different things out. Today they are trying to change the front struts to non M-Sports to see if it changes anything. I'm glad I didn't buy this vehicle with all that wrenching
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #79
rajens00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330xi

Garage List
Quote:
A few weeks ago, I picked up my 330i M-sport from the dealer and right away I noticed a weird sound in the cabin, sounding something like a mix of a grinding noise and a wind/tire noise. Took it to the dealer and he replaced the front wheel bearings. That didn't help. He tried with another set of wheels (different tire brand) - that didn't help either. The sound starts around 20 mph and is pretty constant all the way up to 80 mph. It's really annoying and the dealer shop hasn't been able to locate the source of the noise yet. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look or what could make this sound?

The noise tend to get a little better on new and fresh asfalt which could indicate tires. But this was already ruled out with a different set of tires. Actually we have tried with two different sets of summer tires and one set of winter tires. Makes no difference what so ever.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks!
My 330xi has loud tire noise on certain types of concrete. The tires sound normal on asphalt and new concrete but extremely loud an old concrete.

PIRELLI Cinturato P7 All Sesson RF
225 / 45 R18 95H XL
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #80
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajens00 View Post
My 330xi has loud tire noise on certain types of concrete. The tires sound normal on asphalt and new concrete but extremely loud an old concrete.

PIRELLI Cinturato P7 All Sesson RF
225 / 45 R18 95H XL
Is yours an M-Sport as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #81
Zante
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i Touring

I got a 330i Touring with M-sport and also have this sound. The dealer can’t solve this and they say that I probably will have to live with it. They also told me that BMW says that this occures on both sedan and touring but only with M-sport chassi. I have two friends who have G20 2019 with M-sport but they don’t have this sound. Before I ordered my car this summer I test drived a G20 M-sport and it was very silent. This was one of the biggest reason I choose to buy my G21, because I of course, didn’t think that it would be any big difference in noiselevel between G20 and G21. It seemms to me that this occurs on cars that is 2020 model? Mine is produced in november I think. Probably almost all Touring, so they who claims that their cars doesn’t sound strange have probably bad hearing If this is the new BMW standard I will never buy a BMW again

Last edited by Zante; 12-19-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
Glaede49.50
      12-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #82
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zante View Post
I got a 330i Touring with M-sport and also have this sound. The dealer can't solve this and they say that I probably will have to live with it. They also told me that BMW says that this occures on both sedan and touring but only with M-sport chassi. I have two friends who have G20 2019 with M-sport but they don't have this sound. Before I ordered my car this summer I test drived a G20 M-sport and it was very silent. This was one of the biggest reason I choose to buy my G21, because I of course did'nt think that their would be any big difference. It slems to me that this occurs on cars that is 2020 model? Mine is produced in november I think. Probably almost all Touring, so they who claims that their cars doesn't sound strange have probably bad hearing If this is the new BMW standard I will never buy a BMW again
BMW cannot just close their eyes and ignore the customers on this. I, for sure, will not give up without a fight. My second car, VW Polo is more silent than my 3-series.
Appreciate 2
XXXX19.50
Glaede49.50
      12-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #83
Zante
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i Touring

I will also fight for this and I really hope that everybody who have this problem make complains to their dealers.
Appreciate 2
XXXX19.50
      12-20-2019, 01:14 AM   #84
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zante View Post
I will also fight for this and I really hope that everybody who have this problem make complains to their dealers.
I'm glad that I'm not the only guy here with problems, so we have a stronger case against BMW. We are quite a few people now with the same annoying sound. I too have a feeling that the G20 2020 sedans got the same problem, though I can't prove it or heard of any yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:19 AM   #85
Glaede
Private
Rep

Could you guys post your last 7 numbers of your VIN's? I can decode the production and check build date, options etc.

Could be interesting to check if there's a pattern in build date, options etc. except that we all have M-Sport models.

Has anyone heard of problems in the UK where the cars are RHD?

Last edited by Glaede; 12-20-2019 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #86
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Could you guys post your last 7 numbers of your VIN's? I can decode the production and check build date, options etc.

Could be interesting to check if there's a pattern in build date, options etc. except that we all have M-Sport models.

Has anyone heard of problems in the UK where the cars are RHD?
VIN is in your mail.

Haven't heard about this outside Scandinavia - yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #87
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
VIN is in your mail.

Haven't heard about this outside Scandinavia - yet...
I just found a UK guy here on the forum and wrote him.. He has a 330 M-Sport G21 as well.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #88
mavoma
Rep
Drives: F10 530XD

Talk to you dealer, the dealer make a report to BMW support and they make a report to BMW AG.
We have som cars here in Norway also
Im affraid this coud take som time
Appreciate 1