Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Weird water issues around M340i side mirrors

11-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #23
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Same thing happens with Lexus in my multiple experiences (at two highly reputable dealerships). And all other brands for that matter. You get something replaced or fixed under warranty and they break something else that requires a secondary repair... or you’re left with a new rattle because the reassembled panels/parts are no longer factory spec perfect.

The main takeaway for all people to understand is:
1. High volume/High turnover dealerships and tint installers will not take their time and give your car the TLC you think it deserves. Your car is only factory assembled to perfect spec once, and every repair that requires reassembly takes it further from that spec.... especially rush jobs from high volume dealerships!

2. Consider investing in the basic tools required to fix your own minor problems so you can take all the time you need and do proper research. For example, I fixed the front speaker rattle and rear trunk trim rattle on my own with minimal time and expense and those have been my only issues.

3. If you are out of warranty or just want the job done right, find an independent certified mechanic with good reviews. They do everything they can to avoid bad reviews which means doing the job right the first time.

4. Avoid being the stereotypical “my car is a lemon, everything is wrong” type of person. I’ve seen several posts on this forum where people don’t understand the inherent functionality of the car and baselessly complain to their dealer. You keep taking it to the dealership for phantom issues and they’ll keep messing with your car... finding nothing wrong but breaking other things in the process. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy.
+1000

I love it how people keep taking their cars to the crappy dealership they have been going to and then create a list about how awful their cars are...... go figure.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #24
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Same thing happens with Lexus in my multiple experiences (at two highly reputable dealerships). And all other brands for that matter. You get something replaced or fixed under warranty and they break something else that requires a secondary repair... or you're left with a new rattle because the reassembled panels/parts are no longer factory spec perfect.

The main takeaway for all people to understand is:
1. High volume/High turnover dealerships and tint installers will not take their time and give your car the TLC you think it deserves. Your car is only factory assembled to perfect spec once, and every repair that requires reassembly takes it further from that spec.... especially rush jobs from high volume dealerships!

2. Consider investing in the basic tools required to fix your own minor problems so you can take all the time you need and do proper research. For example, I fixed the front speaker rattle and rear trunk trim rattle on my own with minimal time and expense and those have been my only issues.

3. If you are out of warranty or just want the job done right, find an independent certified mechanic with good reviews. They do everything they can to avoid bad reviews which means doing the job right the first time.

4. Avoid being the stereotypical "my car is a lemon, everything is wrong" type of person. I've seen several posts on this forum where people don't understand the inherent functionality of the car and baselessly complain to their dealer. You keep taking it to the dealership for phantom issues and they'll keep messing with your car... finding nothing wrong but breaking other things in the process. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
+1000

I love it how people keep taking their cars to the crappy dealership they have been going to and then create a list about how awful their cars are...... go figure.
It's so strange that you get off on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #25
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmzorba09 View Post
Yes. After several attempts and visits. While the front and rear deck rattling was that way when I drive the car off the lot. The door rattling was caused by the service tech breaking the clips on the door and another from not properly placing and locking the door back in position. Like I said... sloppy work/service.
This is my biggest complaint about the car. Buzzing from that front speaker cover/panel from both acceleration vibration and mostly during certain frequencies of the music I am listening too. Pretty much all music ends up causing a barely tolerable buzzing and as an audiofile I simply can't have it. Have let my sales rep know I will be bringing this in to have it addressed. Can you tell me what they found the problem to be? And what the fix actually was? Would you be willing to let me know who your dealer is so I can have mine contact them if they don't know how to fix it themselves (which I'm quite sure will be the case). Sorry for all the questions... would appreciate some guidance on this. Thanks for considering it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:26 AM   #26
jeremycanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BWM M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmzorba09 View Post
Yes. After several attempts and visits. While the front and rear deck rattling was that way when I drive the car off the lot. The door rattling was caused by the service tech breaking the clips on the door and another from not properly placing and locking the door back in position. Like I said... sloppy work/service.
This is my biggest complaint about the car. Buzzing from that front speaker cover/panel from both acceleration vibration and mostly during certain frequencies of the music I am listening too. Pretty much all music ends up causing a barely tolerable buzzing and as an audiofile I simply can't have it. Have let my sales rep know I will be bringing this in to have it addressed. Can you tell me what they found the problem to be? And what the fix actually was? Would you be willing to let me know who your dealer is so I can have mine contact them if they don't know how to fix it themselves (which I'm quite sure will be the case). Sorry for all the questions... would appreciate some guidance on this. Thanks for considering it.
Looks like your mid speaker cover rattles. There is a fix on our forum. Just try it my friend.
2018 Audi S5-
2020 Bmw M340i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #27
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
I would like to make a suggestion to people who have recurring problems with service departments of any brand. YOU are not the customer, the manufacturer is. For this type of repair, and, (my opinion), most manufacturer computers are not smart enough to recognize repeat problems.

Car companies do not like to lose repeat customers because of dealer problems! If a BMW, or Audi, or Chevy dealership causes enough complaints for what should be piddley complaints, I think you will see another owner for that dealership soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #28
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Yep - I've seen the swirling water on the driver's side, nearest the mirror. Seems like the windshield/a pillar also allows windshield fluid to creep around the A-pillars also - so be warned, if going more than 5mph with your windows down, that bug juice is coming in the cabin. And with the windows up, depending on your washer fluid/windshield cleanliness - you may get fluid streaks on the driver/passenger windows. But definitely no water coming into the vehicle unwanted through gaps/seals. Not at all.

As for the speaker rattling issues some have described, I have not personally experienced any of that. I'm running the Harmon-Kardon audio system, I would assume that only affects the quality/ranging of the cones/drivers themselves, vice the framing/clipping, but can't be certain if that may come into play.

For the persons experiencing door-rattles post-tint. My own experience was that I had my tint done by a very reputable vinyl-wrapping and solar-film shop, and I don't recall ever seeing them remove a door panel. It was all computer-cut tinting, so I'm not sure if that made a difference, or if they took a different approach to getting it installed, but nope - no rattles.

For persons experiencing trunk rattles, I have managed to avoid that one (Shwoo! *Wipes brow*). But what I have run into with the trunk is the trunk lid's upper drain trough gasket started to peel back. Looks like it's a commercial-grade double-sided tape adhesive.

All in all - I had detailed my car just yesterday and still looked in the garage and said "damn. I still love this car!"
Appreciate 0