4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Cheapest way to repair curb rashes

11-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
yungbibba
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

Cheapest way to repair curb rashes

Anyone know of cheap methods/ places in Northern California to repair curb rash? 2 of my wheels were damaged yesterday, once by my stupid self in the morning, and another time in the evening by a dumb valet. Please let me know if there’s any easy way of doing this myself...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

It's usually only about $75-80 per wheel if you bring it to the dealership (they outsource to a wheel repair dude). Or bring it to any reputable body shop. It's not easy (or worth it in my opinion) to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
yungbibba
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It's usually only about $75-80 per wheel if you bring it to the dealership (they outsource to a wheel repair dude). Or bring it to any reputable body shop. It's not easy (or worth it in my opinion) to do it yourself.
Wow, never knew that. All these “rim repair” shops around me quote 200-250/wheel and the dealer said 175. You think I’d have better luck at a body shop?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Depends how bad the damage is of course. I only had a one inch scraped edge, so maybe that's why it was only $80. But it came out perfect...I could not tell where the repair was done. Might as well check with a local body shop as well...they usually outsource this as just like the dealers, but they may not mark up the price as much.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

+1 for dealer. Mine charges about $100, outsourced to some guy. Fixes have been invisible. Convenient when the car is otherwise in the shop for service.

If you want it fixed professionally for as cheap as possible, call a few dealers (BMW or otherwise) and ask who does their wheel repair. You may find it's just a handful of guys who contract to multiple dealers in your area. Then call those guys and ask if they'll help. Sometimes they'll cut you a deal if you can meet them between jobs or at a dealer.

Last time I did this was on a 370z a few years ago. Coordinated and met the guy at the nearby Ford dealer when he was making his rounds one afternoon. Took him 10 minutes between jobs and $50 cash to almost perfectly fix a wheel I rashed so deep I thought it would need to be replaced (think angle-grinder along 1/3 the circumference).
Appreciate 0