Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Drove a new 330i - Thoughts

12-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #67
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

I completely respect everyone's opinion on here but when the OP trashes the G20 and then goes on to say that he really enjoyed driving a F30 328xi loaner with that steering/suspension/interior, I'm just looking for some clarity...I genuinely would like to know why he thinks the F30 is a better car than the g20. I came from the same vehicle and I felt terrified taking fast corners in my F30.

Last edited by alpinewhite3; 12-10-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
A6bullet337.00
      12-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #68
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I completely respect everyone's opinion on here but when the OP trashes the G20 and then goes on to say that he really enjoyed driving a F30 328xi loaner with that steering/suspension/interior, I'm just looking for some clarity...I genuinely would like to know why he thinks the F30 is a better car than the g20. I came from the same vehicle and I genuinely felt terrified taking fast corners in my F30.
Agreed. I would take the G20 over F30 any day and twice on Sunday.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #69
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I completely respect everyone's opinion on here but when the OP trashes the G20 and then goes on to say that he really enjoyed driving a F30 328xi loaner with that steering/suspension/interior, I'm just looking for some clarity...I genuinely would like to know why he thinks the F30 is a better car than the g20. I came from the same vehicle and I genuinely felt terrified taking fast corners in my F30.
Both you guys opinion contains a bit of snark and is just oozing with ownership pride, so take each with a grain of salt.

Him saying he can't wait to get back into a "real" BMW and now you're claiming the F30 corners like a boat. All unfounded and childish.

I get that people skew towards what they already own but come on guys, enough with the exaggeration.

They both great vehicles, as the F-series is natural progression of the G, they're not as different as you guys would love to believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #70
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Both you guys opinion contains a bit of snark and is just oozing with ownership pride, so take each with a grain of salt.

Him saying he can't wait to get back into a "real" BMW and now you're claiming the F30 corners like a boat. All unfounded and childish.

I get that people skew towards what they already own but come on guys, enough with the exaggeration.

They both great vehicles, as the F-series is natural progression of the G, they're not as different as you guys would love to believe.
I don't disagree with you...but you're making my point for me. They are both great vehicles in their own way which is why it's just confusing how the OP trashes one and has high praise for the other. To each their own I guess.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #71
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

What the OP did is no different than what true owners rebutted with. Nobody disrespected the guy. Maybe he shouldn't take things personal. Regardless of what he says and most of the people here who have never ventured outside of another brand. I would gladly drive my former modded E46 over any F30. I don't believe it's a great drivers car period. That's my opinion and he had his , cest la vie.
      12-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #72
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

If their opinions contain "snark" and ooze with ownership pride as you claim, what do you think OPs first post shows? Trashed the G20 but have not heard that being mentioned by you.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #73
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If their opinions contain "snark" and ooze with ownership pride as you claim, what do you think OPs first post shows? Trashed the G20 but have not heard that being mentioned by you.

I get your grievances but he's driving a six year old model and you have a brand new series.. You have to expect some bitterness.
I just try to pick out the pearls almost the swine in any user feedback and ignore the rest but I would not let it sway me either way or get bent out of shape.

Anyone that actually drove a 330i shouldn't take it personal because you already know the truth; it's an objectively fast and comfortable vehicle.

As long as you don't live your life a quarter mile at a time, it's an excellent daily driver that can satisfy your every need.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #74
simonhch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 435xi M Sport

Quote:
I get your grievances but he's driving a six year old model and you have a brand new series.. You have to expect some bitterness.
I just try to pick out the pearls almost the swine in any user feedback and ignore the rest but I would not let it sway me either way or get bent out of shape.

Anyone that actually drove a 330i shouldn't take it personal because you already know the truth; it's an objectively fast and comfortable vehicle.

As long as you don't live your life a quarter mile at a time, it's an excellent daily driver that can satisfy your every need.
There are a lot of people speaking in my name, but just to point some things out....

First my car is 4 years old, not 6. Second there is no bitterness in my post. I wouldn't continue to invest in significant upgrades on my car if I didn't love it. I can certainly afford to buy a new car, so no barriers to upgrading. I just choose not to at this point. Third, I see mention of me taking things personally, but if you read my replies, I don't take anything personally. I didn't attack G20 owners, or take offence to anything anyone said disagreeing with my opinion. And I still don't. Other people have fallen one side of the fence or the other, and there's been some disagreements; but none of it bothers me personally.

I merely offered an opinion, based on my experience - which is subjective - knowing not everyone would agree. And I totally accept that. Just like I accept I may be wrong about a great many things. There are A LOT of people on here who know a lot more about cars than I do, and are more discerning and informed drivers. It's all good. I just offered my observations, which were based on surprise and disappointment.

I have scheduled a test drive for a M340i to get a more balanced view of the platform, and I am excited about it. There's no point you interjecting feelings, on my behalf, into the conversation that are not representative of what I have said at any point, just to support a contrarian narrative. It doesn't need that. Disagreeing with the opinion is enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #75
simonhch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
What the OP did is no different than what true owners rebutted with. Nobody disrespected the guy. Maybe he shouldn't take things personal. Regardless of what he says and most of the people here who have never ventured outside of another brand. I would gladly drive my former modded E46 over any F30. I don't believe it's a great drivers car period. That's my opinion and he had his , cest la vie.
I didn't take anything personally though. Never complained about any rebuttal of my opinion. Still don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #76
simonhch
Private
Rep

Quote:
I completely respect everyone's opinion on here but when the OP trashes the G20 and then goes on to say that he really enjoyed driving a F30 328xi loaner with that steering/suspension/interior, I'm just looking for some clarity...I genuinely would like to know why he thinks the F30 is a better car than the g20. I came from the same vehicle and I felt terrified taking fast corners in my F30.
Fair enough. Personally, and bear in mind this is very subjective, I felt the F30 interior was a massive upgrade on the e92 interior. It made my e92 feel really old. That didn't happen with the G20. It didn't feel any more modern than my F32 interior, and I preferred the iDrive in the F32.

My main gripe in the driveability of the G20 pertains to the Sport Mode, which is just horrendous in the one I currently have. Undrivably bad. So twitchy on the throttle without the power to back it up. I've just left it in comfort. That was not an issue in the F30. The steering is better in the G20 over the F30, without a doubt, but I also don't think it was as bad as people made out in the F series. I didn't drive either vehicle,either the G20 or F30 at any real speed around corners, because neither felt particularly built for it. So I can't make that comparision with any confidence, and I'd rather not proffer an uninformed opinion.

The G20 really doesn't look or feel like a BMW I have been used to. It feels very Lexusy/Toyotaery to me. I can't quite put my finger on the pulse why, but when I do I will report back. It just doesn't have any character. I think I was swayed to upgrade to an F series when I drove the F30 because despite the drawbacks, it felt like a much more modern car with a lot of potential upsides. It was enough for me to drive some F32s and then pull the trigger. I just didn't get that feeling this time around. And that's not very quantifiable, I'm sorry. It's just how I felt. With all that said, I am going to test drive an M340i and see where I sit after that.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #77
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Undriveably bad? Oh god...you know exactly what you're saying and you know you're trying to piss people off. As much as you want to say "it's just my opinion blah blah blah" you know what you're trying to do. And you've succeeded! Congrats on getting the heart rate up of tons of members. Feel better?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #78
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhch View Post
There are a lot of people speaking in my name, but just to point some things out....

First my car is 4 years old, not 6. Second there is no bitterness in my post. I wouldn't continue to invest in significant upgrades on my car if I didn't love it. I can certainly afford to buy a new car, so no barriers to upgrading. I just choose not to at this point. Third, I see mention of me taking things personally, but if you read my replies, I don't take anything personally. I didn't attack G20 owners, or take offence to anything anyone said disagreeing with my opinion. And I still don't. Other people have fallen one side of the fence or the other, and there's been some disagreements; but none of it bothers me personally.

I merely offered an opinion, based on my experience - which is subjective - knowing not everyone would agree. And I totally accept that. Just like I accept I may be wrong about a great many things. There are A LOT of people on here who know a lot more about cars than I do, and are more discerning and informed drivers. It's all good. I just offered my observations, which were based on surprise and disappointment.

I have scheduled a test drive for a M340i to get a more balanced view of the platform, and I am excited about it. There's no point you interjecting feelings, on my behalf, into the conversation that are not representative of what I have said at any point, just to support a contrarian narrative. It doesn't need that. Disagreeing with the opinion is enough.
Bro, as you see, I respected your opinion but you made it difficult to defend when you use terms like "right now I just think it's absolutely horrid" and you couldn't wait to back into a "real" BMW.

What does that mean "real" BMW anyways, was the emblemings missing?

You really expect that some current owners who are passionate about their new car and just dropped a lot of money on it to not get triggered?

Just look at how you just defended the model age of your vehicle, which was said in passing to pacify the climate.

There is a tactful way of conveying your opinion without stepping on any toes. Me, personally, couldn't care less because you know what they say opinions are like..But I digress..

I extensively drove a few brand-new 330is and my brother owns a M340i, which I convinced him to get and I can objectively say that there is absolutely nothing 'horrid' about them.

They're a little too big for my taste but that is my only perceived flaw but it's still a modern BMW by all accounts.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #79
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Simonich seems like a cool dude, so lets just leave it at that. 330i is not for everyone, maybe he will like the M340i. Nothing wrong there, that's why we have Mercedes, Audi, Genesis, Jaguar and Alfa to pick from. I test drove the 330i M sport and it felt great to me. I chose the M340i because of the inline 6. The only thing that was off-putting at first was the size since it's the largest car I have ever driven and liked. The size doesn't bother me anymore since the M340i drivers much smaller than how it looks.
      12-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #80
simonhch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Undriveably bad? Oh god...you know exactly what you're saying and you know you're trying to piss people off. As much as you want to say "it's just my opinion blah blah blah" you know what you're trying to do. And you've succeeded! Congrats on getting the heart rate up of tons of members. Feel better?
I have to contextualise your quote, because you haven't done so. The undrivably bad comment was ONLY in reference to the car when in sport mode. And I stand by that. It is terrible. But I am NOT saying the car itself is undrivably bad. Not at all. It is a perfectly lovely drive otherwise. It was just a very specific point.

In hindsight I can see the comment might still upset some people. But I didn't mean anyone to take it personally. It was more a case of me getting the car, driving it two hours home and then getting online and posting because I was so disappointed. I'm not sure I've ever not liked a BMW before. But, the last thing I was trying to do was wind anyone up. I'm just not that petty. It speaks volumes that the first reaction people have is that someone is trying to be a troll. Guess that's the world we live in. I've tried to be genuine and honest in my posting, even if my initial opinion was a little emotional and knee jerk.

A lot of the counter arguments have been very informative and made me think twice and pay more attention to the car as I have driven it more this week. My main gripe, as I will reiterate again, is how it responds is sport mode. That just threw me through a loop, right when I was already underwhelmed by the overall look and feel of the car. A lot of people have taken my comments personally, and that was not my intent. I certainly know how that feels, as a F32 owner. People having been talking about how terrible the F series is for a really long time, and yet I LOVE mine to bits. Think it's a fantastic car.

I guess that either makes car opinions very subjective, and not to be taken too seriously, or me an idiot. In fairness, it could be a little bit of both.

Last edited by simonhch; 12-11-2019 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #81
simonhch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Simonich seems like a cool dude, so lets just leave it at that. 330i is not for everyone, maybe he will like the M340i. Nothing wrong there, that's why we have Mercedes, Audi, Genesis, Jaguar and Alfa to pick from. I test drove the 330i M sport and it felt great to me. I chose the M340i because of the inline 6. The only thing that was off-putting at first was the size since it's the largest car I have ever driven and liked. The size doesn't bother me anymore since the M340i drivers much smaller than how it looks.
Thanks mate, I am okay...

As I said in the post above this, my comments were based on an initial emotional reaction to being disappointed. But a lot of what G20 owners have written here has given me some really educated and informative perspectives on the platform, and I have been paying more attention to it as I drove it this week. Certainly trying to keep and open mind. I am looking forward to driving the M340i.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #82
simonhch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Bro, as you see, I respected your opinion but you made it difficult to defend when you use terms like "right now I just think it's absolutely horrid" and you couldn't wait to back into a "real" BMW.

What does that mean "real" BMW anyways, was the emblemings missing?

You really expect that some current owners who are passionate about their new car and just dropped a lot of money on it to not get triggered?

Just look at how you just defended the model age of your vehicle, which was said in passing to pacify the climate.

There is a tactful way of conveying your opinion without stepping on any toes. Me, personally, couldn't care less because you know what they say opinions are like..But I digress..

I extensively drove a few brand-new 330is and my brother owns a M340i, which I convinced him to get and I can objectively say that there is absolutely nothing 'horrid' about them.

They're a little too big for my taste but that is my only perceived flaw but it's still a modern BMW by all accounts.
In all fairness, I didn't come in to step on toes. I have been so used to people talking shit about the F series (I'm an avid owner), that I just came in and freely expressed my opinion. I can see that those two statements, in hindsight, were inflammatory, but I assure you that wasn't their intent. I just posted almost as soon as I had finished driving and my disappointment was at its peak. I usually don't do that.

I will stand by the "absolutely horrid" statement, only because my opinion of driving it in sport mode remains the same. It is absolutely horrid. In my opinion. I couldn't drive it like that. Maybe there's something wrong with the car they gave me, but it was jerky and just terrible. In comfort it was perfectly lovely.

I should retract the "real" BMW statement, because that doesn't sound right. I should rather say that I will be happy to get back into a car that I much prefer and more akin to what i am looking for in a car. One has to recognise that not everyone is looking for the same things from a car in the first place, so it's wrong to label one platform more "real" or worthy of the badge than another. So. I'm sorry to anyone I offended with that statement. It wasn't supposed to be personal.

I still stand by the general crux of my initial review. I have driven it for a week now and it has not grown on me in any appreciable way. I think it's just an okay car at this point, with some good points (steering, interior build quality) and some bad points (throttle response in sport mode, looks and feel). My overall impression is still weighted towards the negative, but I am looking to balance that out by driving a M340i, and my hope is that the new 4 series platform will be really good.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-12-2019, 12:21 AM   #83
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhch View Post
In all fairness, I didn't come in to step on toes. I have been so used to people talking shit about the F series (I'm an avid owner), that I just came in and freely expressed my opinion. I can see that those two statements, in hindsight, were inflammatory, but I assure you that wasn't their intent. I just posted almost as soon as I had finished driving and my disappointment was at its peak. I usually don't do that.

I will stand by the "absolutely horrid" statement, only because my opinion of driving it in sport mode remains the same. It is absolutely horrid. In my opinion. I couldn't drive it like that. Maybe there's something wrong with the car they gave me, but it was jerky and just terrible. In comfort it was perfectly lovely.

I should retract the "real" BMW statement, because that doesn't sound right. I should rather say that I will be happy to get back into a car that I much prefer and more akin to what i am looking for in a car. One has to recognise that not everyone is looking for the same things from a car in the first place, so it's wrong to label one platform more "real" or worthy of the badge than another. So. I'm sorry to anyone I offended with that statement. It wasn't supposed to be personal.

I still stand by the general crux of my initial review. I have driven it for a week now and it has not grown on me in any appreciable way. I think it's just an okay car at this point, with some good points (steering, interior build quality) and some bad points (throttle response in sport mode, looks and feel). My overall impression is still weighted towards the negative, but I am looking to balance that out by driving a M340i, and my hope is that the new 4 series platform will be really good.
Fair enough, let's move past this misunderstand then..

BTW, I heard the M340i was fast going in but was taken back at how quick it really is!

I know the ZF8 contributed to its agility but OMG the B58TU1 just catapults the vehicle like a rocket and since M340 also has a 100% locking rear diff like the M cars, stock, it just hugs the road.

I believe you'll be pleasantly surprise, especially if you're into loud-ass, attention-grabbing burbles. I guarantee M340i will change your outlook on the G-series.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #84
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Yes, because the "scoring" is mostly subjective nonsense in those comparos. These same clowns also chose the Hyundai Veloster n over a mclaren, Porsche, among others. Hyundai is the new darling of c&d, RT, and the ilk. In the past bmw was their darling, and they obnoxiously praised the 3er in every one of their sham comparisons. Now bmw has grown arrogant, and obviously ceased delivering the envelopes, and Hyundai anted up for the darling spot.
You forgot that Merc also beat the G20...
Are they the magazine darlings too?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #85
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:

I don't own F30 or G20, I've owned F82 in the past. So I don't have the 'ownership pride'.

But if someone says F30 has better suspension, better handling and steering, I'd say that person doesn't know what we mean by good suspension, good steering, or has a different criteria.
Btw, F30 is not a boat, it's just floaty compated to G20, and not as sharp as G20. So I don't agree with the notion that F30 can't corner, or that it's a boat or something. But G20 is very noticeably better -at least sportier-, and it's stunning to see someone can't realize that. I mean even if you drive it around town for 15 minutes, you can tell how much sharper G20 is, immediately.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5893.00
KoenG1428.50
      12-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #86
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Yes, because the "scoring" is mostly subjective nonsense in those comparos. These same clowns also chose the Hyundai Veloster n over a mclaren, Porsche, among others. Hyundai is the new darling of c&d, RT, and the ilk. In the past bmw was their darling, and they obnoxiously praised the 3er in every one of their sham comparisons. Now bmw has grown arrogant, and obviously ceased delivering the envelopes, and Hyundai anted up for the darling spot.
You forgot that Merc also beat the G20...
Are they the magazine darlings too?
I'm not sure the big magazines (c&d, RT, MT) compared the g20 and merc c class head to head yet. Auto Express compared the g20 with the c class and jag, and some assorted blogs and YouTube channels have compared the g20 and c class in various trim levels.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #87
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

M340i faster than the C43AMG on the street and i would wager better on track but no such test yet, there's a few vids on youtube. The Merc sounds better and supposedly drives more aggressive but still gets smoked lol.
      12-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #88
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
M340i faster than the C43AMG on the street and i would wager better on track but no such test yet, there's a few vids on youtube. The Merc sounds better and supposedly drives more aggressive but still gets smoked lol.
Yes, the M340i is fast and not just swift, more like pull you in the back of your seat, stomach churning fast!

I love it and throughout BMW's history, the 3 Series always pioneered their new model's design and technology. I remember in 2012, the the new F30 paved the way for the F-Chassis, in general, right along with the F10.

Judging for the M340i and M5, the G series is going to all lighting-fast, luxury
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50