Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics How do I *fully* enable my assisted driving feature?

12-07-2019, 02:22 AM   #1
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Question How do I *fully* enable my assisted driving feature?

I have seen videos of the m340i assisted driving feature turning the steering wheel lights green (and the live cockpit showing a synthetic-traffic view); however, my steering wheel never lights up green.

I can only get mine to show the icon of the green steering wheel on the live cockpit (with the green lanes), and it will do stop/go ACC and lane-centering, but I feel it may not be in the most autonomous mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
I have seen videos of the m340i assisted driving feature turning the steering wheel lights green (and the live cockpit showing a synthetic-traffic view); however, my steering wheel never lights up green.

I can only get mine to show the icon of the green steering wheel on the live cockpit (with the green lanes), and it will do stop/go ACC and lane-centering, but I feel it may not be in the most autonomous mode?
My cockpit shows the traffic, but my steering wheel never lights up green when autonomous driving is on. If I had to guess, maybe it only lights up green if you have no HUD?

I would find it quite annoying if there were permanent green lights. For me it only lights up yellow when it requires my attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
My cockpit shows the traffic, but my steering wheel never lights up green when autonomous driving is on. If I had to guess, maybe it only lights up green if you have no HUD?

I would find it quite annoying if there were permanent green lights. For me it only lights up yellow when it requires my attention.
I don't have HUD, I also did some more research and it seems like the mode I mentioned activates automatically when you are on a certain type of road (perhaps I have not yet driven in this condition).

If I understand correctly, all this mode does is let you remain completely hands-free (doesn't bug you to touch the wheel every 15 seconds) as long as you are looking out the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

You're referring to 'Assisted Driving Plus', and it's only available when you're driving under 40mph on what BMW considers 'limited access higways'. My experience on the east coast so far has been that means only interstates/freeways and a few interstate access roads. If both those conditions are met, you'll get an on-screen prompt and you have to press the AD mode button again to activate it. Exceeding 40mph will kick you back down to standard Assisted Driving.

Yes the green lights on the wheel do stay lit, and the benefit is true hands free.

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-07-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
You're referring to 'Assisted Driving Plus', and it's only available when you're driving under 40mph on what BMW considers 'limited access higways'. My experience on the east coast so far has been that means only interstates/freeways and a few interstate access roads. If both those conditions are met, you'll get an on-screen prompt and you have to press the AD mode button again to activate it. Exceeding 40mph will kick you back down to standard Assisted Driving.

Yes the green lights on the wheel do stay lit, and the benefit is true hands free.
Thanks for confirming!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:

Interesting, I don't think this is available in the UK (stricter regulations).

Anyways I've realised if my thigh slightly touches the steering wheel, I don't need to use my hands
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:04 AM   #7
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Quote:

Interesting, I don't think this is available in the UK (stricter regulations).

Anyways I've realised if my thigh slightly touches the steering wheel, I don't need to use my hands
Yep the old knee on the wheel truck works a charm
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Also make sure the attention awareness recognition cam is enabled in settings. That is needed to have the Plus mode available in above mentioned cases I believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
Yep the old knee on the wheel truck works a charm
It seems like the steering wheel has some kind of capacitance sensor on it (i.e,. you don't need to physically move the wheel but just have your skin touching it). You could probably put a strip of conductive tape on it to fool it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Also make sure the attention awareness recognition cam is enabled in settings. That is needed to have the Plus mode available in above mentioned cases I believe.
Yup, I made sure mine was enabled. I guess I have to go hunt for traffic on a freeway now, shouldn't be too hard
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #10
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It seems like the steering wheel has some kind of capacitance sensor on it (i.e,. you don't need to physically move the wheel but just have your skin touching it). You could probably put a strip of conductive tape on it to fool it
Nah, definitely not touch/capacitive...it's pressure activated. Lightly resting your hand on the wheel doesn't do it. You've got to exert a slight force on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Nah, definitely not touch/capacitive...it's pressure activated. Lightly resting your hand on the wheel doesn't do it. You've got to exert a slight force on it.
I think you will be very surprised, try it. Don't move the wheel, just "pinch" the wheel with your thumb/index finger anywhere
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think you will be very surprised, try it. Don't move the wheel, just "pinch" the wheel with your thumb/index finger anywhere
I have definitely tried it. I completed ~15 hours of Assisted Driving on the interstates between GA and VA over the holiday break.

Yes, that was my point exactly, it requires a pinch/press/squeeze every ~15 seconds...i.e. pressure sensitive, not touch sensitive. Simply touching the wheel (or using conductive tape) will do nothing.

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-09-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Can anyone post a link to a video of it being green while driving?

My experience is that is only going green when parking itself or reversing itself. In traffic jam, under 40mph, totally hands free as long as I'm looking up straight. No green lights on the steering wheel then.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #14
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
In traffic jam, under 40mph, totally hands free as long as I'm looking up straight. No green lights on the steering wheel then.
If your AD goes completely hands-free (doesn't require grabbing the wheel at all) without an on-screen "Assisted Driving Plus" prompt and without requiring you to press the AD MODE button again to activate it, then the system is programmed very differently in the UK than the US. Perhaps no green lights on the wheel is another one of those differences.

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-09-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
srk54727
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Exclamation Lane Change Assist

I saw some videos on YouTube with automatic lane changing if you keep pressing the turn indicator. Is this option not available in US cars? I tried but it doesn't work.

I have the driving professional package so lane keep assist and ACC work well including full autonomous driving below 40.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #16
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk54727 View Post
I saw some videos on YouTube with automatic lane changing if you keep pressing the turn indicator. Is this option not available in US cars? I tried but it doesn't work.

I have the driving professional package so lane keep assist and ACC work well including full autonomous driving below 40.
It's disabled on US delivered cars, but can be enabled via coding with Esys...

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...t#post25509087
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #17
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,
I also have a 2020 M340 with a manufacture date of 26 Jun & software version 07-2019.70

When I turn on Driver Assistant using middle button of the bottom row on left side of the wheel, I have 2 modes: distance keeping; and assisted driving. You can change modes using the MODE button on left.

While I have found distance keeper only marginally useful, assisted driving is quite handy, both on highways & local streets: the car steers (pretty well) & keeps distance so long as there are lane stripes. At speeds over 40 if my hands are off the wheel for about 15 sec, yellow lights flash on wheel & icon dash & HUD (30 sec & that's red with a beep); it also turns yellow when line stripping is not visible. When I'm in stop & go traffic, the car does everything & I don't need to keep my hands on wheel -- believe that option (5AR) is part of driver assistance professional package (ZDY).

I went through that because it really depends on when car made, what software & what options. So for now, I have semi-autonomous mode.

BTW, am going to try the coding used in the above link in next week or 2

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0