Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Sport Individual settings need explanation

12-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
mkadan
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Sport Individual settings need explanation

Hello,

recently got my M340i and now I'm trying to understand what different Sport Individual settings actually mean.

1. Damping: Comfort / Sport = Soft / Firm. Clear.

2. Steering: Comfort / Sport = Light / Heavy. Clear.

3. Engine: Comfort / Sport / Sport Plus. Not clear
I think the exhaust sound is more loud with sport settings, but does it affect anything else, e.g. accelerator response or fuel consumption?

4. Transmission: Comfort / Sport / Sport Plus. Again, not clear.
I believe, the sportier the setting is, the higher revs it will hold until upshifting?

And an extra question. I never had a BMW before, so it was a bit of a surprise for me to find out you can move the gear selector to the left and engage S mode. I've checked forums and seems like it moves upshifting point even further up (at least on F30). Does it affect anything else? And is there a point using it along with Sport Plus transmission settings to boost it even further?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I think transmission is pretty clear too, but not completely sure about engine- it definitely changes the exhaust sound, maybe throttle response as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I think transmission is pretty clear too, but not completely sure about engine- it definitely changes the exhaust sound, maybe throttle response as well?
I believe yes. The throttle response changes in eco/comfort/sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Engine: fast faster fastest
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Static2k
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

It accelerates quicker when engine is in Sport+. Transmission clearly holds higher revs in Sport+ vs Sport too. Not sure about shifting time - could be quicker too, but hard to tell on public roads. My fav is engine in Sport+, gearbox in Sport for back roads and highways - best engine response and decent gear selection without too high RPMs. And yes, you burn more fuel in Sport modes since your RPM stays higher.

I only wish it had a manual transmission and single engine mode with maybe exhaust having quiet/loud selection
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
For engine - the throttle mapping is more responsive in Sport and even more so in Sport+ mode. Additionally, the car should make more power in Sport/Sport+ mode - you may even notice the oil temperature goes up in Sport/Sport+ mode (this was true on the F30 340i with MPPSK - the extra power was only available in Sport/Sport+ mode - I maybe assuming the same for the M340i but the butt dyno certainly makes it feel that way).

Transmission - this holds the gears longer in Automatic mode and it will downshift the car as you slow down, but it also definitely speeds up and firms up the shifts. There is a marked difference imho between Sport and Sport+ for Transmission mode in terms of how firm the shifts are.

Pushing the shifter to the left puts the car in "Sport Transmission" mode which definitely allows the car to hold gears longer and downshift as you slow down but if you press one of the paddles behind the steering wheel it will also allow the car to stay in Manual mode, meaning you control the shifts and it won't switch back to automatic mode.

If I'm in Sport+ mode I usually also drive in Manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
DBLDNon11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
For engine - the throttle mapping is more responsive in Sport and even more so in Sport+ mode. Additionally, the car should make more power in Sport/Sport+ mode - you may even notice the oil temperature goes up in Sport/Sport+ mode (this was true on the F30 340i with MPPSK - the extra power was only available in Sport/Sport+ mode - I maybe assuming the same for the M340i but the butt dyno certainly makes it feel that way).
I'm not sure this part is true. Engine output is the same with MPPSK regardless of mode (Comfort vs Sport/+), but the exhaust valve, transmission mapping, and suspension settings (M Adaptive) do change. All results in a higher performing configuration of course over Comfort.
Appreciate 0